Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3474 posts
385 upvotes

Guy Ritchie's Aladdin

Casting is now taking place.

I think they should just cast Dev Patel as Aladdin.

13 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10593 posts
962 upvotes
Mississauga
Dev Patel isn't Middle Eastern either.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3474 posts
385 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 12:29 pm
Dev Patel isn't Middle Eastern either.
The average American would not know that. They probably wouldn't know where Canada is on the map.

Anyway, I wonder who they will cast for the Genie as the late Robin Williams is a hard act to follow despite the film being animated.

Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10593 posts
962 upvotes
Mississauga
heymikey wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:16 am
The average American would not know that. They probably wouldn't know where Canada is on the map.
In the wake of #OscarsSoWhite and multiple casting controversies (Emma Stone as an Asian!), it's all about the optics when it comes to casting now. When they were in pre-production for the live-action remake of Mulan, they were seriously considering introducing a white character so the general audience would have someone to relate to. This was quickly and thankfully kiboshed when word spread.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9873 posts
2154 upvotes
Toronto
No offense to Mr. Ritchie, but whomever is directing this thing, it's still mostly Disney's Aladdin
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8152 posts
857 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I wonder how much they'll "adapt" of the movie given the current social climate.

I recently re-watched the Disney animated movie on a flight and it never dawned on me, but the characters are Muslim (which isn't a surprise given the context). There's a few times where characters go "by Allah" or "oh Allah" instead of the usual "omg". It's minor (enough that I never noticed it as a kid), but looking back at it, I wonder how well things like that would pass. It's kind of the same with Genie being androgynous/crossdressing. Nobody batted an eye about it then, but given the "controversy" about a gay character in the live action Beauty and the Beast, it might cause more controversy than we think, even if it's in the "original" script.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
6036 posts
2092 upvotes
Will Smith as the genie? This is going to be interesting. lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9873 posts
2154 upvotes
Toronto

Reminds me of the Hook poster from decades ago