Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[GVRD] 75Mbps Internet for $40 No Contract No Data Limit

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 12:18 am
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6152 upvotes
headhunt3r wrote: Glad to see Surf on here... hope they don't disappear when questions get hard to answer.

My concern with buying a modem is that it breaks past the warranty period (1 year), and I'm forced to shell out another $120 for a modem. How would Surf help out in that situation?
I am with CIK Tel at the moment. I purchased a modem from them more than 3 years ago, the advantage with CIK Tel over Surf is that I have a lifetime warranty on hardware. I've already swapped a problematic Coship modem with them about a year ago. Everything went well without any questions asked and received a Thomson DCM475.
Also, I've inquired about bringing in my own modem (even matching model), but was told Surf would charge me $100+ to load "software" onto the modem. What proprietary software is loaded on from Surf? Why is this necessary? Why is the cost to flash that software so expensive?
This sounds sketchy!
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1880 posts
2185 upvotes
Zerosystem wrote: Hmm, on the "build your own plan" page, there's an option to commit to a year of service and they'll waive the installation fee. I'm currently with Teksavvy cable 30 for $40/month, so the 75Mbps plan looks good for the same price.

I'm gonna ask them if I can use my existing Thomson/technicolor DCM475 modem with their 75Mbps and 150Mbps plans. From what research I've done, it'll probably work with 75Mbps plan.. if they allow it.
Installation fee of $85 is waived if you sign for 1 year. But you still need to buy a modern from them. $89 for up to 15 mbps. $126 for faster speeds.

Since their technician will be coming into your house to set up, you really have no choice but to buy their modern. Why bother using your own modern when it would cost you $110 for "software provisions"? At least with their modern you will get full support.

I understant why they don't want to use the customer's modern. The worst case scenario is when a customer insist on using some 5 years old modern that doesn't work. However with that said, Surf should provide a list of moderns that they do support and waive those "software provisions" fees for these.

And I read that Surf is selling you 2nd hand moderns, not brand new??? :(
Last edited by CCHIPSS on Sep 20th, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6152 upvotes
CCHIPSS wrote: Installation fee is waived. But you still need to buy a modern from them. $89 for up to 15 mbps. $126 for faster speeds.

Since their technician will be coming into your house to set up, you really have no choice but to buy their modern. Why bother using your own modern when it would cost you $110 for "software provisions"? At least with their modern you will get full support.

I read that they give you 2nd hand modern??? :(
If this is true then it's a deal breaker for me. I am sticking with CIK Telecom.

I've emailed Surf Internet about this, I hope they reply soon then I will post the result here.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1880 posts
2185 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: If this is true then it's a deal breaker for me. I am sticking with CIK Telecom.
It is true. We can see that in their "Build Your Plan" page.

https://www.surfinternet.ca/BuildYourPlan/index.html

Surf Internet 5 - One Year and Waive installation fees
$239.88 for one year + tax
Speed (Mbps) : 5 Mbps
Upload Speed : 1 Mbps
Data Included : Unlimited
Broadband Cable : Broadband Cable
Installation Fee : WAIVED
Modem : $89 purchased

Surf Internet 75 - One Year and Waive installation fees
$479.88 for one year + tax
Speed (Mbps) : 75 Mbps
Upload Speed : 7.5 Mbps
Installation Fee: WAIVED
Modem : $126 purchased
WIFI Router : Included Free
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6152 upvotes
CCHIPSS wrote: It is true. We can see that in their "Build Your Plan" page.

https://www.surfinternet.ca/BuildYourPlan/index.html

Surf Internet 5 - One Year and Waive installation fees
$239.88 for one year + tax
Speed (Mbps) : 5 Mbps
Upload Speed : 1 Mbps
Installation Fee : WAIVED
Modem : $89 purchased

Surf Internet 75 - One Year and Waive installation fees
$479.88 for one year + tax
Speed (Mbps) : 75 Mbps
Upload Speed : 7.5 Mbps
Installation Fee: WAIVED
Modem : $126 purchased
WIFI Router : Included Free
I see that, but their website also does not indicate whether you can or cannot bring your own modem (which many other indie ISPs allow). Until their representative responds to this matter, it's anybody's guess.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
man you guys should do it for Ontario and Quebec as well. Although I admit West needs more competition than East for internet.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
AsianXL wrote: You guys out in the East already have way better internet deals than us.
Yep I admit that, but more competition is always good Winking Face
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2684 posts
3199 upvotes
My modem is definitely 2nd hand. Even looks 3rd hand. Lol. on internet 15. They provide a free router but I had my own and use it.
Aug 31, 2010
972 posts
202 upvotes
Victoria
Who is using this service in Victoria, BC? Is it good? Thanks!
May 11, 2009
536 posts
369 upvotes
Vancouver
pkphilip wrote: I am curious to see the peering partners. Can anyone using SurfInternet let me know the one of your IP address? or you can go here https://bgp.he.net/ and let post the ASxxxxx number.

https://bgp.he.net/country/CA shows all the companies that has Internet Routing Registry. See how many transit Shaw, Bell, Telus has compare to Teksavvy, CIK, ebox?

I checked their web page and it is hosted by GoDaddy, that alone gives me the idea that they simply resell some other ISP's services, like Lightspeed, Can-Com who are reselling AEBC/Cipherkey's internet services who doesn't own any of their own equipment etc.

I also Google search their office based on address, I get results of many other non-related companies sharing the same address.. it feels like they don't even have an office, just a mail box....
I'll do this when I get home tonight. I'm interested in your findings.
Dec 15, 2007
90 posts
82 upvotes
Vancouver
Thinking about getting in on this. Currently with CIK telecom for 25Mbs $30/month.

Has anyone looked into their TV packages? The monthly fees seem to be much lower than Shaw, but it seems like you have to buy their Surf-TV android boxes at $86 each.
May 25, 2008
121 posts
33 upvotes
The service area doesn't seem to include Delta. Do you guys provide service in North Delta?
Jul 21, 2006
617 posts
212 upvotes
decane wrote: The service area doesn't seem to include Delta. Do you guys provide service in North Delta?
Delta has their own cable company, Delta cable. So they don't have Shaw, so that would be why Delta isn't in the service area.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
3970 posts
3749 upvotes
GVRD
hao3388 wrote: thinking switch CIK.......
There aren't a lot of local ISP that is in the IRR. I can't find Surf and they still have not provided me with an ASN that I can look up.
headhunt3r wrote: Glad to see Surf on here... hope they don't disappear when questions get hard to answer.

My concern with buying a modem is that it breaks past the warranty period (1 year), and I'm forced to shell out another $120 for a modem. How would Surf help out in that situation?

Also, I've inquired about bringing in my own modem (even matching model), but was told Surf would charge me $100+ to load "software" onto the modem. What proprietary software is loaded on from Surf? Why is this necessary? Why is the cost to flash that software so expensive?
It's DOCSIS 3.1, technically you can BYOD and can go on Shaw cable's network like in the US. I suspect why many TPIA (CIK, Teksavvy etc) refused BYOD because Shaw is telling them only certain "supported" model are allow to go on. I was into cable modem hacking many years back and my SB5100 is running haxorware. I know that either Shaw or CIK is pushing a config file periodically and it is attempting to update my modem's firmware to the Shaw's version (which I blocked).

Seriously, Lightspeed provisioned my Haxorware SB5100 with just the MAC and SN onto Shaw without any issues.

I call this BS because all the firmware updates are done automatically over the cable network.
CCHIPSS wrote: Installation fee of $85 is waived if you sign for 1 year. But you still need to buy a modern from them. $89 for up to 15 mbps. $126 for faster speeds.

I understant why they don't want to use the customer's modern. The worst case scenario is when a customer insist on using some 5 years old modern that doesn't work. However with that said, Surf should provide a list of moderns that they do support and waive those "software provisions" fees for these.

And I read that Surf is selling you 2nd hand moderns, not brand new??? :(
Not surprising, my current SB5100 from CIK is a pre-owned modem from Shaw. For 30M/2.5 service, the DOCSIS 2.0 modem works just fine. I know Shaw has been upgrading their own customer's modem to handle more downstream and upstream over the years, so all the older DOCSIS 3.0 hardware can be re-sold to TPIA which is more than able to handle anything 100M and lower.

I cannot comment if the newer DOCSIS 3.1 are in fact faster (I supposed so if the backend is config properly), so being Shaw's customer could get you a few ms shorter. :-)
headhunt3r wrote: I'll do this when I get home tonight. I'm interested in your findings.
That will be great as they still haven't mention their ASN; their answer about planning to have FTTB doesn't mean anything other than saying - we are starting to build our network.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3886 posts
1527 upvotes
Canada
I pay $30 for 175mbps connection here in Saskatchewan. Thanks to SaskTel
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1005 posts
349 upvotes
BC
NewJuly2017 wrote: Hi,

I work for Surf Internet, and I am very passionate about what we do at Surf. Please I would like to help answer some of the questions which were posted on this thread, and tell you more about us. Again, I am passionate and cannot see these messages without even trying to respond :)
Can I trade in my Hitron CGN2 and just pay the difference to get the modem needed for the 75Mbps?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)