Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[GVRD] 75Mbps Internet for $40 No Contract No Data Limit

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 12:18 am
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2008
1145 posts
1261 upvotes
West Kelowna, BC
Thanks. After years of frustration with Shaw and now Telus about price increases and with Telus Wi-Fi issues I seem to have in my townhouse complex I'm happy to be back on Shaw through Surf. I ordered the 75mbps, hopefully it will get installed in a week or so. $40/month vs. $70 for Telus is a nice win. I also cancelled basic cable.

Now to see what Telus charges me to get out of the contract. Anyone know? My three year contract expires in Feb 2018.

Also, anyone good with math (or money, LOL) know whether it's a better deal to pay outright $680 ($40/month plus modem purchase) or just pay the extra $80 install fee and do monthly payments (assuming 6% interest)?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2759 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Looks good but I'm still on contract with Shaw til the end of 2019.
[solicitation removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
jerschwab wrote: Now to see what Telus charges me to get out of the contract. Anyone know? My three year contract expires in Feb 2018.
It will be in your Telus Service Agreement (Telus calls it a service agreement because it doesn't guarantee price, so it's not a real contract).

It used to be $10/month penalty to end service early, but both Telus and Shaw have been raising it lately since too many people wanted to get out of their agreements. Now it's $15 or $20/month.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2004
1367 posts
2419 upvotes
Vancouver
jerschwab wrote: Thanks. After years of frustration with Shaw and now Telus about price increases and with Telus Wi-Fi issues I seem to have in my townhouse complex I'm happy to be back on Shaw through Surf. I ordered the 75mbps, hopefully it will get installed in a week or so. $40/month vs. $70 for Telus is a nice win. I also cancelled basic cable.

Now to see what Telus charges me to get out of the contract. Anyone know? My three year contract expires in Feb 2018.

Also, anyone good with math (or money, LOL) know whether it's a better deal to pay outright $680 ($40/month plus modem purchase) or just pay the extra $80 install fee and do monthly payments (assuming 6% interest)?
As per my previous post, I was fed up with Telus and Shaw and decided to jump on the 1 yr premium TV and internet 75 plans. So far my experience with Surf is not the greatest. Think about it and do more research before you jump ship.

A Surf tech came last night to drop off the modem and digit TV box. Shaw supposed to come before him but never showed up. Nothing the Surf tech can do. He only connected the digital TV box for me using my Telus wifi signal to get me going.

The digital TV box is a small Otto TV MX9 Pro android box. The remote is one of the most useless ones I have ever seen. There is no number pad on so you can't jump to a different channel. Even though the box is brand new, the HDMI connection could lose signal on and off even when the tech was here showing me. The 10 hrs PVR service is the main issue for me personally. I browsed a few of the premium channels and the picture quality is awful with lines and pixels. Totally not worth of the money! I tried to pair the useless remote with my Logitech Harmony but no success. The tech showed me to hold the Enter and Power buttons together to shut down digital box. But it doesn't work. Pressing the power button only puts it to sleep mode.

Now my Telus service is gone and I have no TV or internet till the Shaw tech comes to activate for me. Like I said, after this 1 yr of service, I will look for something else.
May 12, 2008
88 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
I agree with what you said and experience the same. Issue with outages and billing issues. They still owe me money because I cancelled my service and they charged the following month anyways. Despite two emails and two phone calls the owner only stopped the pre-authorized payment but never pro rated the fees he over charged. Left me with a bad taste.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
wranglery wrote: Now my Telus service is gone and I have no TV or internet till the Shaw tech comes to activate for me. Like I said, after this 1 yr of service, I will look for something else.
Thanks for the review. Please update after you get Surf working.

If I'm switching between Telus and Shaw I always overlap by at least a few days to prevent service interruption. Last time I switched (Telus to Shaw), it took Shaw 2 weeks to get my connection up and running properly - I had to keep calling Telus back and getting them to extend. Fortunately both companies can postpone a cancellation if you give them a few days notice, and they will pro-rate service to the actual day of termination. Not sure you could do that when switching away from a company like Surf though.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2008
1145 posts
1261 upvotes
West Kelowna, BC
wranglery wrote: As per my previous post, I was fed up with Telus and Shaw and decided to jump on the 1 yr premium TV and internet 75 plans. So far my experience with Surf is not the greatest. Think about it and do more research before you jump ship.

A Surf tech came last night to drop off the modem and digit TV box. Shaw supposed to come before him but never showed up. Nothing the Surf tech can do. He only connected the digital TV box for me using my Telus wifi signal to get me going.

The digital TV box is a small Otto TV MX9 Pro android box. The remote is one of the most useless ones I have ever seen. There is no number pad on so you can't jump to a different channel. Even though the box is brand new, the HDMI connection could lose signal on and off even when the tech was here showing me. The 10 hrs PVR service is the main issue for me personally. I browsed a few of the premium channels and the picture quality is awful with lines and pixels. Totally not worth of the money! I tried to pair the useless remote with my Logitech Harmony but no success. The tech showed me to hold the Enter and Power buttons together to shut down digital box. But it doesn't work. Pressing the power button only puts it to sleep mode.

Now my Telus service is gone and I have no TV or internet till the Shaw tech comes to activate for me. Like I said, after this 1 yr of service, I will look for something else.
Ok, thanks. I'm not looking to sign up for the TV service so hopefully I can avoid that nightmare. Also, I won't disconnect Telus until Surf is up and running.

Cheers, thanks for your experience.
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
227 upvotes
Evagelion wrote: I agree with what you said and experience the same. Issue with outages and billing issues. They still owe me money because I cancelled my service and they charged the following month anyways. Despite two emails and two phone calls the owner only stopped the pre-authorized payment but never pro rated the fees he over charged. Left me with a bad taste.
Wait - so they haven't paid you back what they owe, just because you cancelled?
This is unacceptable IMHO.
Last edited by springdays on Oct 2nd, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
227 upvotes
headhunt3r wrote: Glad to see Surf on here... hope they don't disappear when questions get hard to answer.

My concern with buying a modem is that it breaks past the warranty period (1 year), and I'm forced to shell out another $120 for a modem. How would Surf help out in that situation?

Also, I've inquired about bringing in my own modem (even matching model), but was told Surf would charge me $100+ to load "software" onto the modem. What proprietary software is loaded on from Surf? Why is this necessary? Why is the cost to flash that software so expensive?
What software is loaded onto the modem???
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Nov 11, 2006
401 posts
119 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I was thinking about switching to Surf for the Cable 75 at $40 but wasn't too sure of the local support they have. And now I see that Lightspeed also have Cable 75 also for $40? Difference is at Lightspeed there is a one year commitment required and the modem is cheaper. What's your opinion on Lightspeed?
Aug 16, 2017
58 posts
16 upvotes
London, Ontario
headhunt3r wrote: Surf Internet, similar to Teksavvy, resells Shaw internet in BC. I've been on their $40 plan for a couple years now, which got me 30 down/5 up. It looks like this price gets you 75 down / 7.5 up now. I'll be calling in to ask for this change tomorrow.

Some notes:
- sizeable upfront cost for modem and installation
- they don't do contracts, and prices should be for life
- i've had a modem die on me, and they've promptly replaced it for free
- it's a small operation they run, I believe out of Coquitlam
- you can get them if you can get Shaw cable at your place. Lower mainland only I believe.
- yes, their website is shit, but who cares if the product is good?

Previous thread about the same ISP: surf-internet-bc-lower-mainland-tv-inte ... t-1940831/
Just called Shaw. Got an extra $5 off each bill for 6 months.

They didn't match but did offer Internet 75 for $50/month no contract 500GB data limit - given the $90 setup fees with Surf this is reasonable.
Then they extended an offer to my current plan.
Sales gave $5 off / each month on my current Shaw Internet 150 = $55/month no contract... a great price for the max speed.
No deals "for life" but room to negotiate, yes.
Kudos, Shaw.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
1457 posts
142 upvotes
victoria, bc
qianquan wrote: Who is using this service in Victoria, BC? Is it good? Thanks!
I tried contacting them to see if they offer it in Victoria ... no answer. I assume not as their website only references the lower mainland. Anyone have any good deals for Vancouver Island? Or Victoria specifically?!?! Thanks in advance.
Nov 28, 2010
228 posts
150 upvotes
GZero604 wrote: I was thinking about switching to Surf for the Cable 75 at $40 but wasn't too sure of the local support they have. And now I see that Lightspeed also have Cable 75 also for $40? Difference is at Lightspeed there is a one year commitment required and the modem is cheaper. What's your opinion on Lightspeed?
My brother and sister are both on Lightspeed and have had no complaints. I just called Lightspeed to ask what the price will be after one year. They said it will be whatever the price is at that time and that it could be anything, they don't know.

I'm on Surf Internet 30 plan and I haven't had any issues aside from that they want a lot of money for me to upgrade to the Internet 75 plan. But I feel like Surf's prices are more stable as they have never increased the price for me since I signed up over a year ago. When I talked to them at that time they also said they've never increased their prices.
Nov 28, 2010
228 posts
150 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: So the $39.99/month for the 75/7.5Mbps is only a LIMITED PROMOTIONAL 1-year plan? It does not indicate that at all from the website homepage.
Good thing I trusted my gut instinct not to go with this company.
Reading comprehension. I said that LIGHTSPEED's price is good for one year and that SURF INTERNET's prices are more stable and do not increase.
Nov 28, 2010
228 posts
150 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: If the prices do not increase then why is the price only good for one year?
Lightspeed and Surf Internet are two different companies both offering 75mbps for $39.99. Lightspeed has a promotional price right now where the price may be different after your one year commitment. Surf Internet has no mention of a promotional price but I also have not experienced any increases with them.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6152 upvotes
ww wrote: Lightspeed and Surf Internet are two different companies both offering 75mbps for $39.99. Lightspeed has a promotional price right now where the price may be different after your one year commitment. Surf Internet has no mention of a promotional price but I also have not experienced any increases with them.
OK now I am embarrassed, woke up and read your posts while being half-awake. I thought we were talking about Surf Internet the entire time.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2010
1140 posts
695 upvotes
If this is listed somewhere else I apologise for repeating the question but in looking at the Cable packages I see TV box listed at $86 + tax. Are these required (i.e., I can't use my existing Shaw box) and if I have 3 TV's in the house do I need to buy 3 of them?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6152 upvotes
Rustycage wrote: If this is listed somewhere else I apologise for repeating the question but in looking at the Cable packages I see TV box listed at $86 + tax. Are these required (i.e., I can't use my existing Shaw box) and if I have 3 TV's in the house do I need to buy 3 of them?
They use a different technology to deliver their TV service (IPTV), therefore you are required to use their hardware, and need to buy separate boxes for each TV. 3 in your case.