Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1866 posts
399 upvotes
Windsor

Gym Bags

Am I losing my mind, or are gym bags either garbage, or overpriced? Simple bag with no compartments: $20. Same bag, with with a few compartments: $90.

I have started working out, and avoiding using the gym equipment like skip ropes, or their tattered whiteboards + crappy markers is becoming something that I'm slowly wanting. As well, things like grip guards, knee stuff, and shoes ... I'm looking for a generic compartmentalized gym bag, ideally made of a lot of mesh. Doesn't even need to be all that big; 2 pairs of shoes @ most, a small towel, and some internal compartments so I'm not digging for stuff.

It seems everything is pretty sad, and I'm noticing my Google searches of "highly rated gym bag" or "best gym bag" are coming up with those "5 best bags" type lists, and are chock full of referral links and obvious bias. The best bags I've found so far are "Crossfit" bags, but as soon as you put the word Crossfit on it, it's 2x as expensive.

I apologise if this is the wrong forum, but figured I'm working on looking better, and getting more healthy, so thought I'd give it a shot. Otherwise, I'll probably just do like I do with my camera stuff and cut up foam to hold stuff, but that's not exactly ideal for sweaty gear.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
12 replies
Aug 23, 2017
129 posts
89 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 1:36 pm
Am I losing my mind, or are gym bags either garbage, or overpriced? Simple bag with no compartments: $20. Same bag, with with a few compartments: $90.

I have started working out, and avoiding using the gym equipment like skip ropes, or their tattered whiteboards + crappy markers is becoming something that I'm slowly wanting. As well, things like grip guards, knee stuff, and shoes ... I'm looking for a generic compartmentalized gym bag, ideally made of a lot of mesh. Doesn't even need to be all that big; 2 pairs of shoes @ most, a small towel, and some internal compartments so I'm not digging for stuff.

It seems everything is pretty sad, and I'm noticing my Google searches of "highly rated gym bag" or "best gym bag" are coming up with those "5 best bags" type lists, and are chock full of referral links and obvious bias. The best bags I've found so far are "Crossfit" bags, but as soon as you put the word Crossfit on it, it's 2x as expensive.

I apologise if this is the wrong forum, but figured I'm working on looking better, and getting more healthy, so thought I'd give it a shot. Otherwise, I'll probably just do like I do with my camera stuff and cut up foam to hold stuff, but that's not exactly ideal for sweaty gear.
There's a thread going on for gym bags.

eddie-bauer-eddie-bauer-stowaway-45l-du ... 9-2168172/
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4977 posts
426 upvotes
I use a tote from MEC. I think it was $20 or under.
Aug 15, 2015
971 posts
115 upvotes
Markham, ON
kgvaughan wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 1:50 pm
There's a thread going on for gym bags.

eddie-bauer-eddie-bauer-stowaway-45l-du ... 9-2168172/
From the photos, I believe the smell of smelly gym clothes will sip through. I didn't read the material but from the photos of the colour available, the outer layer which may be waterproof is not the material I want for my bag if the entire bag is made of that material.

I don't want to look again because I am not shopping for a gym bag so if you are interested read the description to see what it is made of.

So far I just see a gym bag (I don't want) that cost at least $24.99 plus tax plus shipping and handling.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8347 posts
749 upvotes
I just bring my backpack.

I wear my gym shoes to the gym and I don't carry too much crap anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8946 posts
3408 upvotes
Toronto
I bring my black garbage bag...cost me $1 buck!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14831 posts
1738 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 9:37 pm
From the photos, I believe the smell of smelly gym clothes will sip through. I didn't read the material but from the photos of the colour available, the outer layer which may be waterproof is not the material I want for my bag if the entire bag is made of that material.

I don't want to look again because I am not shopping for a gym bag so if you are interested read the description to see what it is made of.

So far I just see a gym bag (I don't want) that cost at least $24.99 plus tax plus shipping and handling.
Use a plastic grocery bag (or a few) inside your actual gym bag to store your dirty clothes. Any old backpack or bag will do after that.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Aug 15, 2015
971 posts
115 upvotes
Markham, ON
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 3:52 pm
Use a plastic grocery bag (or a few) inside your actual gym bag to store your dirty clothes. Any old backpack or bag will do after that.
I don't want to hear the sound of plastic bag. I used to carry plastic bags in my gym bag in case I need them but I no longer need them because my gym bag is fine the way it is and I have been using it for a while for a single propose so I don't need the extra plastic bags.
Sep 14, 2007
726 posts
179 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 9:09 pm
I don't want to hear the sound of plastic bag. I used to carry plastic bags in my gym bag in case I need them but I no longer need them because my gym bag is fine the way it is and I have been using it for a while for a single propose so I don't need the extra plastic bags.
The sound is a small price to pay for keeping all the grime your shoes pick up and throw in your gym bag. Especially if, like the OP, you are trying to get some fancy bag. I'm happy with the freebie bag from Goodlife. Big enough to carry lifting belt, wraps, straps, lifting shoes, lock, drinking bottle, headphones, deodorant and change of clothes and if it breaks one day, I couldn't care less.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1866 posts
399 upvotes
Windsor
stryder1587 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 4:42 pm
The sound is a small price to pay for keeping all the grime your shoes pick up and throw in your gym bag. Especially if, like the OP, you are trying to get some fancy bag. I'm happy with the freebie bag from Goodlife. Big enough to carry lifting belt, wraps, straps, lifting shoes, lock, drinking bottle, headphones, deodorant and change of clothes and if it breaks one day, I couldn't care less.
I ended up getting a cheap bag off Amazon; was on sale for $18. A few pouches, but pretty cheap generally. Everest Gym Bag ... fits a towel, water bottle, spare shoes, and all my other stupid crap easily. Wish it had considerably more mesh panels, but oh well.

I'm actually going to get a friend to make a duffel bag out of pool leaf cover material; she fixes stuff like this for a living, and says she could make one up on spare time. 100% mesh, and purpose-built pockets; a bespoke gym bag. If it ever comes to fruition, I'll post a pic.
Aug 15, 2015
971 posts
115 upvotes
Markham, ON
Looks like a nice gym bag!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1866 posts
399 upvotes
Windsor
Poppwl wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 6:52 am
Looks like a nice gym bag!
It is not built "to last"; especially around the meshy edges, the stitching is pretty janky. The material it is made of is quite thin as well, but I expect it'll last plenty long. It would be quite tight if you are bringing a change of clothes (assuming a pair of jeans, hoodie, socks, and a tee as "clothes" ... a tank, boardies, and no socks would obviously easily fit).
Aug 15, 2015
971 posts
115 upvotes
Markham, ON
Well post again when you are looking for a new gym bag again. I first started using a free gym bag from the gym. It's a little broken and i would have continue using it. Until one day, while window shopping, I saw my current bag for $15 all in! I liked the colour, it had compartments and it's a little smaller than the freebie bag.

I've been using it ever since and I goto the gym regularly. It's still going strong!

My acquitance heard about my amazing deal and got the same bag. Luckily we don't goto the gym together, otherwise it will cost a lot of confusion for me.