Fitness and Nutrition

gyms membership can't pay cash, only credit card or bank withdrawl. Safe?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 11:13 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 20, 2007
46 posts
Toronto

gyms membership can't pay cash, only credit card or bank withdrawl. Safe?

There's a few gyms I'm looking at, namely fit4less and La Fitness. The La fitness sales rep said I could pay cash. However after the free trial ended, I then called and asked for the exact amount to pay in cash.She then changed her story and said that I need a credit card or bank information on file. I am hesitant to give any of this because I had some trouble previously with a lesser known gym and I had to close my bank account. Also, I heard of horror stories of other people's credit card being charged over a number of years.

So is it safe to give them this information? Also I was quoted at $39.99/mth, I think without initiation fee, decent deal?

Thanks in advance.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18779 posts
4060 upvotes
Toronto
No matter what gym it is, I would never ever give out my banking info. As for paying with credit card, if you can pay the membership fee for the entire yr in one shot, then do so, if not, then you really have no choice but to let them do a recurring charge on the cc.
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
peg_shopper wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:12 pm
There's a few gyms I'm looking at, namely fit4less and La Fitness. The La fitness sales rep said I could pay cash. However after the free trial ended, I then called and asked for the exact amount to pay in cash.She then changed her story and said that I need a credit card or bank information on file. I am hesitant to give any of this because I had some trouble previously with a lesser known gym and I had to close my bank account. Also, I heard of horror stories of other people's credit card being charged over a number of years.

So is it safe to give them this information? Also I was quoted at $39.99/mth, I think without initiation fee, decent deal?

Thanks in advance.

Save yourself time: Forgot LA Fitness. Its a legal scam. They will give you fits to cancel

Fit4less will give you no issues canceling just read their TOS.

I hate it to buddy, I hate giving these scum bags my financial info. but any place that takes cash is usually a hard core place (i.e. ghetto gym), if they still exists.
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 6:24 am
No matter what gym it is, I would never ever give out my banking info. As for paying with credit card, if you can pay the membership fee for the entire yr in one shot, then do so, if not, then you really have no choice but to let them do a recurring charge on the cc.
i would NEVER EVER pay a gym full year in advance. These scammers close and "reopen" like mad leaving you to chase your own money. These guys have the "game" down to an art.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2007
46 posts
Toronto
Ok thanks for the replies good to know I'm not being overly paranoid here.
booblehead wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 6:24 am
User499372 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 9:56 am

fit4less seems like better value, only accepts banking information though no credit cards.
but any place that takes cash is usually a hard core place (i.e. ghetto gym), if they still exists
Yeah true that doing a groupon one now, hardly any machines. Also the ones that they do have available, are old second hand and poorly maintained. Plus the kicker is that they charge more per month than the commercial ones.
Save yourself time: Forgot LA Fitness. Its a legal scam. They will give you fits to cancel
User499372 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 9:58 am
i would NEVER EVER pay a gym full year in advance. These scammers close and "reopen" like mad leaving you to chase your own money. These guys have the "game" down to an art.
Unfortunately LA Fitness seems like the best gym however they seem most likely screw me over too. So for any of these no cash gyms I'm guessing the only way to go is credit card, month to month?
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
Yeah, if they get funny on the credit card you could just dispute the charges and report it lost and get a new one . With banking it's a hassle to stop payments. I had one scam place go out of business, keep charging my account and when I put a stop payment on that monthly payment they just changed the amount by a few cents and went on right ahead charging me. Had to close the account. How this is not illegal is beyond me. Anyways this is what Pavillion/Forza did to me this is why I am very weary of gyms.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36668 posts
2539 upvotes
Toronto
User499372 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 9:56 am

I hate it to buddy, I hate giving these scum bags my financial info. but any place that takes cash is usually a hard core place (i.e. ghetto gym), if they still exists.
True.

When i tried to cancel... they said i could only do it with the manager who is only there mon-fri 9-5.

I asked if they can do it by phone. They say no. You must come in to sign paper work for it.

90% of people work mon-fri 9-5

Looks like a sneaky of way of making it hard to cancel.

So i ask to drop down to $10/month suspended service. At least that lowers the amount they can debit. Then i closed the account the debits were from.
It was a burner account just for the gym.

I sent by canada post signature required a letter stating "my membership is to be terminated immiedately. Signing for this letter via canada post confirms you acknowledge the reciept of this letter and its directions".

Its been 3 years since... no collection letters & good score still...
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3650 posts
456 upvotes
never had a problem with YMCA ...
Jul 14, 2009
272 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
How/why did the Gym Industry become Scam Central?