Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Freebies

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

File your taxes online for free, for everyone

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2016 8:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
3215 posts
1264 upvotes
Ajax
Still haven't found it. Nor have I found a place to even claim the GST/HST credit. I've filed with HRBLOCK every year and had no issues, but I don't want to miss claiming these. Maybe they are claimed for you automatically?
Jul 4, 2005
778 posts
63 upvotes
Ontario
Cjohnson202 wrote: Still haven't found it. Nor have I found a place to even claim the GST/HST credit. I've filed with HRBLOCK every year and had no issues, but I don't want to miss claiming these. Maybe they are claimed for you automatically?
http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/news/ufile-blog.aspx
GST/HST Credit
"You will no longer be required to apply for the GST/HST Credit as the Canada Revenue Agency will automatically determine if you are eligible to receive the GST/HST Credit. You will be notified by the CRA that you are eligible for the GST/HST Credit. In the case of eligible couples, the GST/HST Credit will be paid to the spouse or common-law partner whose tax return is assessed first".
Feb 20, 2015
28 posts
2 upvotes
Victoria
Daf wrote: How do you know that?
Because it is true. They have highest rate and lowest service. I would choose SimpleTax
Banned
Feb 12, 2015
138 posts
16 upvotes
GTA, ON
My concerns exactly....
gves02 wrote: I prefer a desktop version of tax software. I do not like using online proprietary software which forces me to use their program to access my personal data. I use U file for example and I generate a PDF every year and it's great.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24231 posts
43258 upvotes
ONTARIO
I used GenuTax (genutax.ca) last year and it was easy as pie to use with their built-in wizard. I found it via the gov. of canada's website. It was listed under the free tax software program options. Has the netfile thing built into it so it was easy to send electronically from within the program.

I also prefer a standalone program as opposed to doing it online via their website. If H&R Block had a desktop version, I'd probably give it a try. But since they don't I'll most likely stick with GenuTax again this year.

Edit: Used GenuTax again this year with their 2015 version and am now done! Sent it off via NetFILE. So easy.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
3215 posts
1264 upvotes
Ajax
BobSagget wrote: I used GenuTax (genutax.ca) last year and it was easy as pie to use with their built-in wizard. I found it via the gov. of canada's website. It was listed under the free tax software program options. Has the netfile thing built into it so it was easy to send electronically from within the program.

I also prefer a standalone program as opposed to doing it online via their website. If H&R Block had a desktop version, I'd probably give it a try. But since they don't I'll most likely stick with GenuTax again this year.

Edit: Used GenuTax again this year with their 2015 version and am now done! Sent it off via NetFILE. So easy.
No MAC version, sigh
Jul 12, 2008
32 posts
3 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just a heads up. It's probably already known, but the online version can't carry forward last years information. I was under the (wrong) assumption that my data would be carried forward or at least I could login and see the previous years return, but you can't.

Does anyone know if and how you can go about getting a printed full return of previous years from CRA? In other words, showing expenses, capital cost allowance, and basically anything you filed in previous years?
Jul 28, 2010
780 posts
1030 upvotes
Montreal
I found a bug in the online software that should have been tested before going live. I called them this week and they still haven't corrected the issue.
In RRSP & investment for form T5008: report your securities transactions
If you report the transaction as capital gain, it does nothing. :!: :!: :!:
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12141 posts
2760 upvotes
Guelph
So until they get approved for Netfile you can only setup your return but cant file it until it gets approved?
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
mister wrote: Used to be my favorite.It no longer supports XP which I found out when I tried to install and wound up with a royally hosed computer.
Beware.
Can you really blame them? XP is officialy a dead OS, despite the fact that a whoooole lot of people are still running it.
squall458 wrote: So until they get approved for Netfile you can only setup your return but cant file it until it gets approved?
This is correct. Except they *are* approved for Netfile already, so you can go ahead and do your taxes any time you want.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12141 posts
2760 upvotes
Guelph
wearysky wrote: Can you really blame them? XP is officialy a dead OS, despite the fact that a whoooole lot of people are still running it.

This is correct. Except they *are* approved for Netfile already, so you can go ahead and do your taxes any time you want.
How come on the final step, the Netfile Now button isnt working? I can't netfile it. Or even print and file it. Does that mean I did something wrong?
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
squall458 wrote: How come on the final step, the Netfile Now button isnt working? I can't netfile it. Or even print and file it. Does that mean I did something wrong?
No idea. I don't have all the documentation I need for my tax return yet (waiting on tax receipt from the kids' daycare), so I haven't tried filing mine.
Jun 1, 2006
573 posts
99 upvotes
NB
i used turbo tax last yr - how is the HR block compared to it?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
This year's version of the HR Block online taxes feels not quite as premium as last year's... It doesn't save your place in the return, for example, when you come back to it. I'm guessing they didn't bother putting as much polish into it since they were giving it away for free. But it should do fine, for my needs.
Feb 22, 2015
235 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thanks for the share. Was thinking earlier about how I need to find some cheap/free tax filing software
Jan 4, 2008
973 posts
89 upvotes
This is correct. Except they *are* approved for Netfile already, so you can go ahead and do your taxes any time you want.[/quote]

What do the quotes mean exactly?
squall458 wrote: How come on the final step, the Netfile Now button isnt working? I can't netfile it. Or even print and file it. Does that mean I did something wrong?
I'm getting the same message. Does it have to do with being certified?
Jan 4, 2008
973 posts
89 upvotes
klamyo wrote: I found a bug in the online software that should have been tested before going live. I called them this week and they still haven't corrected the issue.
In RRSP & investment for form T5008: report your securities transactions
If you report the transaction as capital gain, it does nothing. :!: :!: :!:
So what happens then? Do you get any benefit or not if it does nothing? Thanks.
Nov 28, 2010
269 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
hungryfordeals wrote: This is correct. Except they *are* approved for Netfile already, so you can go ahead and do your taxes any time you want.
What do the quotes mean exactly?

I'm getting the same message. Does it have to do with being certified?[/quote]

Same here. I was expecting to file it tonight, spent hours but it doesn't work.