Computers & Electronics

Hackintosh to kill my Mac Mini in Final Cut Pro...

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2017 4:21 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2012
386 posts
97 upvotes
Regina

Hackintosh to kill my Mac Mini in Final Cut Pro...

Looking to build a hackintosh that will be 2 to 3 times faster in Final Cut Pro 10.3 compared to my Mini.

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz 3615QM
16 Gigabytes of ram
500 GB ssd

I currently as well have a 2008 Mac Pro with a 2.8 GHz quadcore and a flashed Amd R9 280x with 16 gigabytes of ram. Though I am very disappointed in my performance in Final Cut Pro eventhough my video card is amazing for editing. Though Intel's Quick sync is way better than my 280X for exporting H264 and DVDs.

I am looking at Skylake for its efficiency and good speeds.

Looking to spend under $1000.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12057 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
Check out the tonymacx86 forum.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2012
386 posts
97 upvotes
Regina
TonyMacx86 seems like a hard forum to get replies on.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12057 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
If you've never built a hack before, stick with the components on their hardware list. This will minimise the number of edits to the installation files required to install osx. Be prepared to run terminal commands and to use your Mac mini to add/remove kext files and to edit plist files.

A big problem for some users is updating via the app store.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4683 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
As someone who has gone this route, this hard and long about this. If you enjoy spending hours troubleshooting stuff, then great, go for it, and you'll learn a lot. If you don't, and would like everything to work - iMessage, audio, bluetooth, wifi - and keep up with software updates, give it a pass. And tonymacx86 is the site to get information on. Just go with one of their builds for maximum compatibility and support. You have to follow their rules to get help, but everyone's really helpful. Just about any of the builds around 1K will kill your mini in FCP performance.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12057 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
I also gave up on hack builds because the auto update feature would sometimes result in non-booting Mac. I went with a Macbook pro and I'm happy to have everything work out of the box.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14328 posts
1026 upvotes
Have you considered using premiere.

Not sure what the bottleneck is in your Mac pro but guys on macrumours have been able to run much faster cards on the machine.
Jan 13, 2014
528 posts
139 upvotes
Calgary
I wonder which cards would perform better in FCPX (ATi or nVidia). Just know that you would not be able to use a GeForce 10-series card as there is no drivers for it (learned that the hard way myself).
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14328 posts
1026 upvotes
Devhux wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 8:33 am
I wonder which cards would perform better in FCPX (ATi or nVidia). Just know that you would not be able to use a GeForce 10-series card as there is no drivers for it (learned that the hard way myself).
Doesn't even work under Windows?
Jan 1, 2007
891 posts
68 upvotes
Devhux wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 8:33 am
From what I understand FCPX works best with AMD and Apple Metal. So you are better off with something like an AMD RX480. There are no native drivers for the RX480 yet, but there are hacks that seem to make it accelerate nicely. That might change this summer when Apple is expected to make desktop announcements.

If you use Adode Premiere (it has CUDA acceleration) in the mac environment, you are better off with a GTX 980. On Windows, get the 10 series for Premiere & Cuda support.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5004 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
BruceX is pretty much standard to compare different configurations (see comments below):

https://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/bruc ... benchmark/

If you google it, you will see another forum that has more info

nVidia is not for fCPX
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)