Careers

Had job offer, accepted it, haven't heard back. Advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2012 8:09 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 15, 2007
135 posts
6 upvotes

Had job offer, accepted it, haven't heard back. Advice?

28 replies
[OP]
Mar 15, 2007
135 posts
6 upvotes
thunderchunky wrote:
Aug 7th, 2012 1:50 pm
So it's been three weeks since you heard anything?
Correct, 3 weeks approx. since I was told to continue being patient.
Jan 12, 2005
504 posts
78 upvotes
On Day 8 or maybe 9, you should have followed up with an actual phone call.
On Day 17, again you should have called. This is a job offer afterall; thus, speaking with someone is much more reassuring if you want an update.

You need to be more 'personable'. Emails are typically good for sending and receiving info/files, but not communicating this type of thing.
Get on the phone NOW and give them a call...one thing i have learnt is a face-to-face and/or phone call is much more 'intimate' than an email.
On another note, big companies can take excessively long to process these types of things as they can be back logged.

Hope the offer is still there for you!!
Jul 22, 2012
535 posts
103 upvotes
I'd probably give it until early next week and then call. It's annoying to wait but it would surprise me if they'd forgotten about you.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
It's summer, there's a good chance whoever you're emailing is out of the office, or it's being bounced around through staff that don't really know what's going on.

Essentially, it sounds like you're hired, but I'd definitely give them a call a couple of weeks before the start date. Email is a really bad way to communicate if you actually want an answer to a question that they can put off if it's convenient for them, if you call you can get a person who can give you an answer (such as "person x is on leave, they'll sort it when they get back") rather than a generic response. If it's up to 4 weeks, I'd maybe give it until at least Monday just so it's not the second it ticked over that 4 weeks (they've already told you to be patient and given a reason, so there's a possibility that it'll be longer than 4 weeks too if that's their standard wait time).

If you call, just remember to be as humble and apologetic as possible, "I know it's a really busy time with all these engineers starting, but I was just a little worried about getting ready for the position and was wondering when it's likely I'll receive a confirmation, etc, etc". The last thing you ever want to do is to be pushy about such a thing, don't rock the boat before starting. It's bad form on their behalf not to have given you a solid offer by this time, so it's hard to come off looking bad unless you're a jerk about it.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2441 posts
212 upvotes
I'm not in the engineering field... but leave it to engineers to have an electronic background check take 4 weeks.

In accounting/finance, such a long wait would be considered to be absurd. What's to stop you from accepting another offer in a more timely fashion? It's like they don't really want you. Unless you're really junior, you would think that they would be concerned about losing you. Even though you're a replaceable, potential candidates deserve some amount of love.

It shouldn't take HR longer than two weeks to call your references, check your education, verify employment and/or professional designations, police/credit checks etc..

To be honest, I'd keep applying for new jobs and interviewing until I had something signed in hand with a firm start date. It puts you in an awkward situation if you are currently employed.. what are you supposed to tell your current boss? As for two weeks notice... you should only really do that if you are really junior.

So call to follow up.. speak with a person whether it is the hiring manager or the HR manager (whoever picks up the phone first and/or isn't on vacation).. but get a hold of someone so that they know you're in limbo.
Aug 19, 2011
227 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
Where were you interviewed? Any chance this was a set up for identity theft?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1335 posts
136 upvotes
Anyone else read "Hand Job Offer , accepted it, haven't heard back. Advice?" ?
[OP]
Mar 15, 2007
135 posts
6 upvotes
To everyone else: I will give them a call on monday to see what's up, and i'll post back here..
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1425 posts
114 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
abc44 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2012 3:07 am
To everyone else: I will give them a call on monday to see what's up, and i'll post back here..
Don't wait until Monday
Jan 18, 2011
391 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Dont wait - you only received a verbal offer which is worthless. The paperwork that you signed sounds just like an application - not a contract. 4 weeks to confirm if you got the job sounds more like they are extending the period to receive other applicants and to see if they can find someone better.

No contract = no job. At the very least, get something via email
[OP]
Mar 15, 2007
135 posts
6 upvotes
Thank you for all the help everyone, I'll give them a call within the next hour and see what's up..
Jul 22, 2012
535 posts
103 upvotes
Wow. It would be nice to be treated as a human being and not a number, huh?
× < >