Health & Wellness

Had some mental problem after a car accident.. should I see a psychologist?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2015 11:52 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 3, 2015
28 posts
Mississauga, ON

Had some mental problem after a car accident.. should I see a psychologist?

Had post-traumatic disorder after my car got hit in a street in missisaga... and the injury seems to be prolong and I got pretty stressed lately.

My physiotherapist suggested me to go to see a psychologist through the insurance(insurance pay for it), should I do so?

What would be a bad side of seeing a psychologist? (Insurance rate/ company benefit plan) Like I worried about if it would leave a record in my car insurance/medical record or would my employer know about it?
10 replies
Sep 2, 2013
152 posts
18 upvotes
Jeter2015 wrote: Like I worried about if it would leave a record in my car insurance/medical record or would my employer know about it?
NO. They are required by law to be confidential.
Jan 18, 2015
196 posts
7 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
PTSD from a car accident? Is that legit?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Demographia wrote: PTSD from a car accident? Is that legit?
There's been cases. We tend to think of PTSD as it relates to war/combat experiences, but any really stressful or traumatic experience can potentially trigger it. Of course, the triggers tend to be different.

As for whether or not your employer will know, the answer is "probably not". Your employer will not know why you saw the psychologist unless the psychologist actually tells them (which would be illegal, and virtually no psychologist would do it). As for whether or not they'd know you even saw one, it would depend things like your company's organizational structure (for example, is there a separate HR dept that processes claims, etc..).
Sep 3, 2014
29 posts
Toronto, ON
Don't think about Insurance coverage/ company benefit plan, because health is more valuable than money.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Definitely get help if you think you need it!

After I was in a serious car accident, it took me a bit of time to re-adjust and I had some anxiety for a while. I didn't go see a professional about it, I worked it out with help of family, but I definitely would have sought more help had I needed it.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1607 posts
1431 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Someone T-boned me at an intersection (they ran a red light). I still get a little nervous when I see cars at an intersection or stop sign that look like they're going to run the light or stop sign but will brake suddenly. This happened over 10 years ago.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
273 upvotes
Psych wont help you. Its purchase of friendship. Unless you want to build case for compensation. If anyone finds out it will taint you. You will be ex mental patient for life and you will have to admit to it if police ask or future employer or insurance etc.

Bottomline, psychologist/psychiatrist =witch doctors
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
Jeter2015 wrote: Had post-traumatic disorder after my car got hit in a street in missisaga... and the injury seems to be prolong and I got pretty stressed lately.

My physiotherapist suggested me to go to see a psychologist through the insurance(insurance pay for it), should I do so?

What would be a bad side of seeing a psychologist? (Insurance rate/ company benefit plan) Like I worried about if it would leave a record in my car insurance/medical record or would my employer know about it?
The thing with insurance provided services is that there could be requirement to use only the healthcare providers approved by the insurance company.

Mental health is so personal that you want to be able to feel comfortable enough to address the matter related to the accident on the first visit, not feel like you are playing cat-and-mouse in figuring out if your psychologist is really listening to you or thinking of the insurance company.

Good for you in recognizing that there is an issue to handle. That's always an important acknowledgement. :idea:
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Oct 9, 2013
99 posts
19 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
Go see a family doctor. If you have PTSD, you want to work to treat it.
Your physiotherapist, although probably right, isn't trained to triage mental health.

Regardless of whether you need to see a psychiatrist or psychologist, your insurance company can't share that information with your employer.
It would take a subpoena to get access to your medical records.

Forgetting everything else I've said, your mental health should be your first priority! I do of course understand the worry. Mental health stigma is the reason we have things like Bell's Let's Talk day going on today.

All the best and hope you get better!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
mtseymourguy wrote: Psych wont help you. Its purchase of friendship. Unless you want to build case for compensation. If anyone finds out it will taint you. You will be ex mental patient for life and you will have to admit to it if police ask or future employer or insurance etc.

Bottomline, psychologist/psychiatrist =witch doctors
People like you are the reason we need #Bell Let's Talk. smh

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)