• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2010 3:32 pm
Aug 16, 2007
192 posts
10 upvotes

HAGGLE AT TIFFANY's

I want to buy the woman a $4k+ necklace. It is one of tiff's off-the-shelf in-stock necklaces.
It *must* come from tiffany, so "just buy it elsewhere for cheaper" advice won't help.

Has anyone had success haggling with them? If so, how much?

Of annoyance is the fact US$ pricing is 15-20% less (assuming 1:1 US/CDN dollar) than their CDN website pricing. But I ain't driving to detroit.
11 replies
Apr 21, 2007
312 posts
10 upvotes
frogblender wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 9:51 am
I want to buy the woman a $4k+ necklace. It is one of tiff's off-the-shelf in-stock necklaces.
It *must* come from tiffany, so "just buy it elsewhere for cheaper" advice won't help.

Has anyone had success haggling with them? If so, how much?

Of annoyance is the fact US$ pricing is 15-20% less (assuming 1:1 US/CDN dollar) than their CDN website pricing. But I ain't driving to detroit.
Yes... just recently... pulled the "ok, no BS, i'm in here to purchase this today - What's your best price" ... immediatly was offered a 15% discount... Basically said not good enough... got 20% and a Tiffany pendant... deal done... was in and out in less than 15 minutes.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1599 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
ifeature wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 9:59 am
Yes... just recently... pulled the "ok, no BS, i'm in here to purchase this today - What's your best price" ... immediatly was offered a 15% discount... Basically said not good enough... got 20% and a Tiffany pendant... deal done... was in and out in less than 15 minutes.

Wow, awesome job! I always thought that Tiffany stores were similar to Apples' - and the prices were set. Just for reference - what did you purchase? Have you tried haggling on a ~$500 item there?
[OP]
Aug 16, 2007
192 posts
10 upvotes
ifeature wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 9:59 am

Dude, that is the kind of direct, efficient, on-topic advice we need more of around here. Much appreciated.

If you don't mind me asking: How much was your purchase? Which store?
Apr 21, 2007
312 posts
10 upvotes
It was a fairly expensive diamond bracelet... I get the feeling that there is a "threshold" in price that you need to pass before they'll offer anything significant... and the pendant that was bonused was a "cheapy" one.. but made a good gift for a later time
Apr 21, 2007
312 posts
10 upvotes
frogblender wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 10:09 am
Dude, that is the kind of direct, efficient, on-topic advice we need more of around here. Much appreciated.

If you don't mind me asking: How much was your purchase? Which store?
More than the OP is looking to spend, and Bloor street, last time i was in TO.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1170 posts
80 upvotes
I find that this direct approach can work for you in a lot of situations. I haven't tried it with buying a really big-ticket item like a car, but that is essentially the gist of the advice everyone gives you when they tell you to get the car invoice, add a reasonable profit, then walk in and say "I want this car and I'm willing to pay this much."

For example, I walked into the Sony Store once, found a salesperson, and said "I'm here to buy this model of video camera. What's your best price?" He immediately countered with a price that was about 10% off. I asked if he'd be willing to throw in a DV tape, and immediately said OK. Done. Easiest haggling ever. (Granted in today's electronics world where video cameras cost about a third of what they used to, this might not be such a relevant example.)

Bottom line though, never be afraid to walk out if they don't give you what you want. They'll either say "OK, wait!" and give you the deal, or call you back in a few days, or you just keep shopping until you find what you want elsewhere.
Apr 21, 2007
312 posts
10 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 1:52 pm
never be afraid to walk out if they don't give you what you want.
This is absolutely key. i've done many a negotiation while walking towards the door talking over my shoulder.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8048 posts
1889 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ifeature wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 10:11 am
I get the feeling that there is a "threshold" in price that you need to pass before they'll offer anything significant
It never hurts to try regardless, including regardless of price. Be polite. Explain that you're on a tight budget. Ask if they can work with you on making a sale. Use common sense, e.g. don't try this when they're very busy; be discreet, especially at a high-end store like Tiffanys, etc. The worst that can happen is that they'll say, "no." But most of the time you'll be able to get a concession, even if it's small.

In any case you can haggle on almost anything. The current issue of Consumer Reports even says that many of their readers are successfully haggling with online merchants (using e-mail, of course.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1170 posts
80 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 2:02 pm
In any case you can haggle on almost anything. The current issue of Consumer Reports even says that many of their readers are successfully haggling with online merchants (using e-mail, of course.)

You can often email about price matches, or if they start a new sale and you just missed out. I placed an order once from a company and paid about $5 for shipping, and then not a day later came an email newsletter offering a free shipping promotion. Of course I immediately emailed and asked if they could apply the promotion, and they did. You see people doing this all the time, especially here on RFD. But you have to ask, or you won't get it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8048 posts
1889 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
GreyingJay wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 2:09 pm
You can often email about price matches, or if they start a new sale and you just missed out.
Yes, I know. I've done it many times. The only vendor who didn't cooperate is Dell. (And to be fair to Dell, they don't claim to do PMs. Places like Staples and FS/BB do so and usually make a big deal about it in their advertising, then sometimes give customers a hassle when they take them up on the offer.)

But CR doesn't qualify their online haggling as being PMs. In their surveys only one in seven or eight respondents claimed to have tried to haggle on computers and electronics. But of those who did, between half and two-thirds managed to get lower prices ($165 on average for TVs.)

What astonished me is that they went on to say that while only about 2% of respondents tried to haggle online, those who did were about as successful as those who haggle in person. Most online hagglers negotiated by phone although some did it by e-mail. (CR Dec10, p.21.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 16, 2008
697 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like the direct approach is the best bet at Tiffany's. Will need to try that considering christmas is coming up and the lady would like something from there.
× < >