Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Toronto > Beijing, direct RT $874 on 787 (Nov)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2014 10:19 am
May 27, 2007
16088 posts
4769 upvotes
Toronto

Toronto > Beijing, direct RT $874 on 787 (Nov)

Deal Link:
Good price for a direct flight if you missed the AC sale. And you get to fly their new Boeing 787's!

Sample itinerary:

Start search here: https://www.google.ca/flights/#search;f ... 11-11;a=HU
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
20 replies
Dec 10, 2008
895 posts
130 upvotes
Have they fixed the battery problems on those 787? I remember they were grounded due to battery burn issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
As someone who actually has experience w/ them, I would NOT recommend them for such a long trip.

Maybe up to 6 hours, but definitely nothing past that.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2304 posts
950 upvotes
Hainan got a bunch of new planes. Rode one of them out from Beijing recently, pretty nice.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18695 posts
5727 upvotes
more detail pls
IceBlueShoes wrote: As someone who actually has experience w/ them, I would NOT recommend them for such a long trip.

Maybe up to 6 hours, but definitely nothing past that.
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Mar 12, 2013
8 posts
Kingston
I too have experience with them for a business trip I took in May. staff seems friendly and food was decent. But 14 hours next to someone who does not speak your language is difficult never mind the tiny amount of room for each seat. That being said I am a rather large person and the seats did fit me alright (6'2" 280lbs). Really though, for the price and their safety record it's worth it. Watch out for the black taxi's though in Beijing - If they speak English steer clear!
Take the airport shuttle (25RMB) and subway system (2RMB) - official taxi's are cheap (30RMB one side of the city to the other)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
kiasu wrote: more detail pls
I took them from Beijing to Brussels last month.
Not sure if it was the new dreamliner but if it was, I didn't notice anything compared to a regular plane.
Leg room was virtually non-existent (I'm 5'9" so not exactly tall) and the FA were MIA most of the flight.
Seat pitch was also minimal.

I don't expect luxury in economy by any means, but compared to AC which I took from YYZ to Tokyo it was a big step down.

It would say the seats are comparable to Westjet.

Oh, did I mention they ran out of food for both meals! :facepalm:
And how "cheap" is this airline? They don't even have the little air vents! Gotta fly in business class for those.
Not even ryanair is that cheap and that's saying a lot!
jamrc1 wrote: I too have experience with them for a business trip I took in May. staff seems friendly and food was decent. But 14 hours next to someone who does not speak your language is difficult never mind the tiny amount of room for each seat. That being said I am a rather large person and the seats did fit me alright (6'2" 280lbs). Really though, for the price and their safety record it's worth it. Watch out for the black taxi's though in Beijing - If they speak English steer clear!
Take the airport shuttle (25RMB) and subway system (2RMB) - official taxi's are cheap (30RMB one side of the city to the other)
+1 on the seat space.
Big +1!
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2005
1393 posts
67 upvotes
London
Flew Hainan YYZ->PEK direct last year. Saved a bunch on two tickets, but man they were the longest days of my life.
  • Flight was 3 hours late departing. Domestic terminal in Beijing had been under construction for months, so they were probably this late all the time and could have modified the schedule or advised in advance. Adding 3+ wasted hours for hundreds of people to an already 14 hour flight is dispicable.
  • Was dumped on the runway and into a bus. After a 10+ minute ride, then had to walk a marathon through the annals of the Beijing domestic terminal (including big flights of stairs).
  • Passenger behaviour constantly pushed the limits of acceptability. The person behind me seemed to find prolonged hourly shouting and kicking outbursts a good way to pass the time.
  • I was warned it would be warm, but it was HOT AS HELL. We get in the air, here's your food, lights out, crank the heat. Insanely hot.
  • One of our entertainment systems was literally twined to the seatback in front of us. Even our "good" system had a viewing angle of about a half a degree. As long as I kept my head within a 3mm range and could maintain my focus 4 inches in front of my face, it was terrific.
  • By the end of the flight there were approximately nine number twos stacked up on top of each other in the washroom. No joke. The flush button worked for me, so I dunno what the problem was.
  • One of the sinks was broken and had a do not use sign. Stopped no one from trying. The washroom floor had three inches of "water" sloshing around the floor.
I like to look at it as an extra 28 hours of time spent enjoying everything a public experience in Beijing has to offer.

On the upside, saved $1000. Which sounds awesome until, at hour 13 on the return flight, I realized that's only $17.85/hr between the two of us. Not including delay time.

Oh and lastly, I almost killed myself on the drive home. I thought "I'll have had 14 hours to sleep on the plane, so we can just park at the airport and drive the 1.5 hrs home". BIG mistake.

Pro tip: bring nothing you can use to harm yourself as the urge kicks in around hour 3 and increases exponentially from there. After this trip I swore I would never fly direct anywhere longer than 8 hours again.
Apr 6, 2002
624 posts
153 upvotes
YVR
For those in YVR,

similar rate can be found departing SEA. I'm seeing 829 with Delta.

Regarding the airline, it's actually ok if you speak Chinese.

In-law flew YYZ-PEK in business earlier this year when they had a sale (18xx for RT, economy for same time frame was 13xx) and she was very satisfied.

They even had complementary limo service from/to PEK.
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish...
May 21, 2008
261 posts
45 upvotes
In a country over a billion people you are going to get a strange one here and there. Equal chances of planes crash and defecation on plane seats really..
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
JeiJei wrote: For those in YVR,

similar rate can be found departing SEA. I'm seeing 829 with Delta.

Regarding the airline, it's actually ok if you speak Chinese.

In-law flew YYZ-PEK in business earlier this year when they had a sale (18xx for RT, economy for same time frame was 13xx) and she was very satisfied.

They even had complementary limo service from/to PEK.
Even if you can speak Mandarin Chinese, it is still soso according to my frds. (and I thought many people can speak English in China) But then for this price somebody might find it's worth it.

Tho Air Canada is having a 15% sale now to Asia, I would just take Air Canada then.
Jul 23, 2009
911 posts
434 upvotes
Ireland
Holcrap I would have totally been all over this if it was in July instead of November. BTW United is offering the same route for $861 CDN. Not sure how they compare though the last time I flew with them in 2010 with their Boeing 747-400s without TVs for 13 hrs it was brutally boring.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5130 posts
4924 upvotes
ITA Matrix is showing only a few flights in either September and October at $875 for a non-stop return with Hainan from Toronto to Beijing. However, in November there's many departure days to choose from. Price for Hainan is $875 versus Air Canada's fare of $963 after their 15% discount.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)