Food & Drink

Halal Chicken Cheaper than Regular Chicken.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 3:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1123 posts
309 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC

Halal Chicken Cheaper than Regular Chicken.

Why would this be?
I was in Superstore yesterday and saw this display of Halal chicken across from the regular chicken. There was a large enough selection of it that I could compare it to the regular. Similar cuts, similar package sizes and in every case the Halal was about $1/kg cheaper. So of course I bought the Halal, in fact several packages.
I asked an employee about it and he was surprised, but just stated that the prices shown were the prices they were told to sell it at.
What gives with this pricing? Has anyone else noticed this?
Diversity is our Burden.
22 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2585 posts
328 upvotes
Scarborough
They call it hallal, but really all they do is play a song over a speaker while the animals are slaughtered. That's what I heard anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7040 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
my guess is they had too big of an order of the halal and needed to put it on sale because there is less demand for it than regular chicken. just a guess. my theory wouldn't hold water if the halal was always cheaper.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2627 posts
1448 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 2:09 pm
Why would this be?
I was in Superstore yesterday and saw this display of Halal chicken across from the regular chicken. There was a large enough selection of it that I could compare it to the regular. Similar cuts, similar package sizes and in every case the Halal was about $1/kg cheaper. So of course I bought the Halal, in fact several packages.
I asked an employee about it and he was surprised, but just stated that the prices shown were the prices they were told to sell it at.
What gives with this pricing? Has anyone else noticed this?
Half the non-halal meat is actually halal anyways... easier for chicken farmers to just have them all killed the same way.

The halal was probably on sale in the flyer... or they just over-stocked on the halal chicken.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7040 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:08 pm
Half the non-halal meat is actually halal anyways... easier for chicken farmers to just have them all killed the same way.

The halal was probably on sale in the flyer... or they just over-stocked on the halal chicken.
where did you hear this?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1123 posts
309 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:08 pm

I dont care whether its Halal or not, i really just care about the price.
No, the Halal was not on sale, in fact I don't ever recall seeing it listed in the flyer.
Diversity is our Burden.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7040 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:28 pm
Read it in this article... it's from the UK but I assume I can generalize?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... el-it.html
i would hope they don't do that here. UK generally has much better food guidelines than here but this is just slimy.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14360 posts
1568 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:36 pm
i would hope they don't do that here. UK generally has much better food guidelines than here but this is just slimy.
Seriously. Animal cruelty like this should not become the norm.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2782 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
ok, can someone post the price for both or whichever one they usually buy and which store?

I too have often seen them in grocery stores and a few times I did check the price, halal price was higher because they were a different brand, though I dont remember any prices at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7706 posts
601 upvotes
I too have seen Halal meat cheaper than "normal" meat.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1600 posts
170 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

I'm not a muslim but I have also bought halal chicken when it was cheaper than regular chicken. I have been harassed by muslims that were totally against me buying meat that was meant for them. Didn't believe me when I told him that the only thing "halal" about the chicken were the words on the packaging, I was in a Real Canadian Superstore after all.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14398 posts
914 upvotes
Markham
I just buy whichever is cheaper... Chicken is chicken.
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3962 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
noticed this too
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1123 posts
309 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Fraser River Rat wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 3:04 pm
Hi,

I'm not a muslim but I have also bought halal chicken when it was cheaper than regular chicken. I have been harassed by muslims that were totally against me buying meat that was meant for them. Didn't believe me when I told him that the only thing "halal" about the chicken were the words on the packaging, I was in a Real Canadian Superstore after all.
Anyone harass me for buying Halal I would give them a piece of my mind.
"Canada has freedoms here, get used to it."
Diversity is our Burden.