• Jul 14th, 2017 10:07 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1120 posts
292 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
somemale wrote:
Apr 9th, 2016 9:46 am
Had it like 3 times when I went to NYC last month (helped I was staying around the corner). Wondering if they really open up here.
They definitely are. I was actually looking into opening one...however I thought their global expansion was food-truck based. Turns out they wanted people with liquid assets of $1M+ and a commitment to open atleast 5 franchises...

I wasn't sold on the idea because of the capital commitment, but also because I am skeptical of this taking off in the GTA when you have Lazeez, Osmow's, Ali Baba's, Villa Madina, and all these other chains and one-off shawarma joints across the GTA. Oh well...let's see how it goes...has anyone seen construction for a Halal Guys going up anywhere yet?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10728 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto
2009M5 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2016 11:36 am
They definitely are. I was actually looking into opening one...however I thought their global expansion was food-truck based. Turns out they wanted people with liquid assets of $1M+ and a commitment to open atleast 5 franchises...

I wasn't sold on the idea because of the capital commitment, but also because I am skeptical of this taking off in the GTA when you have Lazeez, Osmow's, Ali Baba's, Villa Madina, and all these other chains and one-off shawarma joints across the GTA. Oh well...let's see how it goes...has anyone seen construction for a Halal Guys going up anywhere yet?
WOW...and I thought Carl's Jr's demand to have a minimum of 3 was bad!!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1120 posts
292 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
playnicee1 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2016 12:21 pm
WOW...and I thought Carl's Jr's demand to have a minimum of 3 was bad!!
Yup, or maybe he said atleast 3-5. Something along those lines.
Again, these were B&M locations - not food trucks or carts...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
301 upvotes
2009M5 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2016 3:37 pm
Yup, or maybe he said atleast 3-5. Something along those lines.
Again, these were B&M locations - not food trucks or carts...
That's absurd. Honestly, the margins have to be razor thin out of carts on 6th Ave. What stupid person will put up that kind of capital with YYZ rents and the same margins. I'd say these are not going to work out.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1120 posts
292 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
mkjr wrote:
Apr 9th, 2016 6:19 pm
That's absurd. Honestly, the margins have to be razor thin out of carts on 6th Ave. What stupid person will put up that kind of capital with YYZ rents and the same margins. I'd say these are not going to work out.
I could say who if you really want to know...he told me who...let me know I can shoot you a PM lol.
But yup, on top of that - the GTA market is SATURATED with shawarma options. Osmows, Villa Madina, Lazeez, Ali Baba's, plus all the hole in the wall shops.
May 3, 2011
671 posts
87 upvotes
If Halal Guys can offer better tasting food than lazeez, they will be a hit.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10728 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto
jimmyonishi wrote:
Apr 10th, 2016 11:19 pm
If Halal Guys can offer better tasting food than lazeez, they will be a hit.
Actually, they'll be an initial hit for having the word Halal in their name, but then everyone else will suddenly put the word Halal in big bold letters, smothering their windows, doors and walls just to make a point.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6647 posts
1002 upvotes
The Halal Guys coming to Yonge and Wellesley in the former Sugar Mountain space:

Aug 22, 2014
819 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nice. I'm curious to see what prices will be like up here with the B&M model vs food carts. They're known for their inexpensive large portions. Jack up the prices and it starts to lose some of its appeal.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4384 posts
732 upvotes
Markham
Let's just hope it tastes close to the real thing in NYC. ... And let's hope they don't double the price like five guys burgers.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 6, 2004
393 posts
29 upvotes
Really looking forward to this, but reviews of the Montreal location are really unfavourable. $11 for the small, $13.29 for regular, and people say the portions are tiny (half is filled with salad).
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1547 posts
32 upvotes
It is pretty much a guarantee that they will be over priced but given the history and popularity they have unless it is really outrageous or just plain taste bad you can expect there to be a line up for it. I dont mind the mark up for more options coming to Toronto.
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2636 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
I am surprised so many people are quoting lazeez shwarma. I checked them up online and looks like they only have 2 locations in an unremarkable mississauga neighbourhood. yet, from this thread they appear to be so popular.
I dont think anyone from toronto or east would drive to get a shwarma.

this halal guys place is guaranteed to be 3 times more pricy than their original cart and probably would not even taste the same. Thats what you call the canadian effect.
Last edited by bsobaid on Nov 7th, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2636 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 2:40 pm
ar2020 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 1:54 pm
The Torah and The Qur'aan.
never heard of em?
lol..good one.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12324 posts
351 upvotes
Had it in new york. Got the platter with the rice and chicken and salad for $7. It was great for the price and half the container was chicken.

White sauce was good but every street vendor had a white sauce. Hot sauce was decently hot.

I only waited a few minutes in line at the location I went.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.