• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 6:51 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3330 posts
339 upvotes
souledge wrote:
May 8th, 2017 2:34 am
Did you know there's a fake cart in the same location as the real cart during the day?

The real cart doesn't show up until about 7 or 7:30 PM.
Raggie wrote:
May 8th, 2017 6:57 am
Why and how is the fake cart 'fake'? Are these vendors passing themselves off and calling themselves as 'Halal Guys'? Or are they just selling the same type of food? You're not able to identify the real from the 'fake'?
They have the same colour scheme and try to make themselves look the same as the "Halal Guys" cart. They sell the same type of food but the taste and sauce are way different.

On another note - has anyone who's tried both the NY carts and Toronto location give a review of how comparable they are?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1744 posts
390 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Raggie wrote:
May 8th, 2017 10:09 am
But why is Halal Guys the only shawarma place? Now that they have one location in Toronto, they are now considered the only legit place? Are they the originators of this type of food? Can I say that I attest that Halal Guys is nothing special, and there are many shawarma places here that are much better?

Halal Guys sure know how to market!
For a self- called food critic, you seem to be out of touch from anything outside of Toronto.. do you travel a lot outside of Canada? There's a reason why places from the States like In-N-Out, Shakeshack, Cheesecake Factory, Del Taco, Carl's Jr. and the aforementioned Halal Guys commands such a following and loyalty any time they venture north of the border.

The Halal Guys isn't about the restaurant, or ambience.. it's all about the tastes and their special hot sauce they use. In NYC, its not uncommon to find their food carts at popular tourist destinations. They known as a to-go joint, and on the cheap.

But, of course, once you take it out of the USA, we have to pay Canadian prices for anything and everything. There are cheaper and arguably better tasting shawarma joints in the GTA but Halal Guys is popular now and a big deal as it's their first Canadian location, and people love it for the nostalgia. Most Canadians when going to NYC makes it a point to eat at Halal Guys and/or Shakeshack, just like how whenever I fly to the LA, my first stop is an In-N-Out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5799 posts
757 upvotes
Mississauga
JKKim2983 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 5:12 pm
For a self- called food critic, you seem to be out of touch from anything outside of Toronto.. do you travel a lot outside of Canada? There's a reason why places from the States like In-N-Out, Shakeshack, Cheesecake Factory, Del Taco, Carl's Jr. and the aforementioned Halal Guys commands such a following and loyalty any time they venture north of the border.

The Halal Guys isn't about the restaurant, or ambience.. it's all about the tastes and their special hot sauce they use. In NYC, its not uncommon to find their food carts at popular tourist destinations. They known as a to-go joint, and on the cheap.

But, of course, once you take it out of the USA, we have to pay Canadian prices for anything and everything. There are cheaper and arguably better tasting shawarma joints in the GTA but Halal Guys is popular now and a big deal as it's their first Canadian location, and people love it for the nostalgia. Most Canadians when going to NYC makes it a point to eat at Halal Guys and/or Shakeshack, just like how whenever I fly to the LA, my first stop is an In-N-Out.
Sorry I don't follow the crowd and eat at these chain restaurants when I 'travel'. And as I said earlier, I didn't find anything special about Halal Guys. I tried it and didn't like it and don't understand why everyone is so Gaga about it. People are such sheep following the hype. I'm so glad you love your delicious in and out Burger (chain).Face Screaming In Fear
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6622 posts
950 upvotes
JKKim2983 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 5:12 pm
but Halal Guys is popular now and a big deal as it's their first Canadian location, and people love it for the nostalgia.
Actually, their first Canadian location opened in Montreal almost a year ago.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1744 posts
390 upvotes
Unionville, ON
LNahid2000 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 5:30 pm
Actually, their first Canadian location opened in Montreal almost a year ago.
Thanks for the correction. First one in Toronto at least.
Raggie wrote:
May 8th, 2017 5:21 pm
Sorry I don't follow the crowd and eat at these chain restaurants when I 'travel'. And as I said earlier, I didn't find anything special about Halal Guys. I tried it and didn't like it and don't understand why everyone is so Gaga about it. People are such sheep following the hype. I'm so glad you love your delicious in and out Burger (chain).Face Screaming In Fear
You have to remember that Toronto wasn't always the food city that it is now.

Even when Momofuku (another NYC original) first opened, there was a big hype and demand for it, and Momofuku isn't exactly cheap, it's expensive for what it is. But, it's the name that drove people to line up for it. The reason why anything from the States is seen as such a big deal is because it resonates with the crowds that travels to the States to eat at these places. Because, it's different and there isn't anything exactly like it here in Toronto. Like Uniqlo, or Nordstrom - both other recognizable brands from outside Canada that people are already loyal to.

lol so people like myself that eats at chain restaurants are sheep..right... I guess you don't go to or use anything that isn't a chain at all. Guess you won't be eating at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant anymore now either as *gasp* he has a chain of restaurants too!

You just lost all credibility as a "food critic" because you look down at people that eat at chains. Guess we can't all be hipster like you and eat only mom and pop everyday. You also self-contradicted yourself because you too ate at The Halal Guys despite claiming you don't eat at chains! LoL!!!
Last edited by JKKim2983 on May 8th, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6622 posts
950 upvotes
JKKim2983 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 5:31 pm
Because, it's different and there isn't anything exactly like it here in Toronto. Like Uniqlo, or Nordstrom - both other recognizable brands from outside Canada that people are already loyal to.
lol these stores aren't even busy anymore...give it a few weeks and Halal Guys won't have lines anymore either. People just need to post their Instagram pics ASAP and then they'll get over it.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1744 posts
390 upvotes
Unionville, ON
LNahid2000 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 5:32 pm
lol these stores aren't even busy anymore...give it a few weeks and Halal Guys won't have lines anymore either. People just need to post their Instagram pics ASAP and then they'll get over it.
Yeah, for sure.

It was like this for months with Uncle Tetsu.. although the odd line up may still flare up from time to time. It's the same in their Markham location. There's always a line up Saturday and Sunday mornings up here.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3330 posts
339 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Sorry I don't follow the crowd and eat at these chain restaurants when I 'travel'. And as I said earlier, I didn't find anything special about Halal Guys. I tried it and didn't like it and don't understand why everyone is so Gaga about it. People are such sheep following the hype.
You of all people should know everyone has different tastes so why can't you understand why A LOT of other people like it? Don't try to make yourself sound above the rest of us just because you don't eat at these "chain restaurants".
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5799 posts
757 upvotes
Mississauga
nx6288 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 5:36 pm
You of all people should know everyone has different tastes so why can't you understand why A LOT of other people like it? Don't try to make yourself sound above the rest of us just because you don't eat at these "chain restaurants".
What do you mean 'me of all people'? Then some of you guys on here shouldn't look down on me for not eating at these chain restaurants. Are we supposed to eat at these chains when we travel?? Who says we should?

Some of you criticize me on here for not being a world Traveller (USA) and eating chain food as most typical tourists do.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5799 posts
757 upvotes
Mississauga
JKKim2983 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 5:31 pm
Thanks for the correction. First one in Toronto at least.

You have to remember that Toronto wasn't always the food city that it is now.

Even when Momofuku (another NYC original) first opened, there was a big hype and demand for it, and Momofuku isn't exactly cheap, it's expensive for what it is. But, it's the name that drove people to line up for it. The reason why anything from the States is seen as such a big deal is because it resonates with the crowds that travels to the States to eat at these places. Because, it's different and there isn't anything exactly like it here in Toronto. Like Uniqlo, or Nordstrom - both other recognizable brands from outside Canada that people are already loyal to.

lol so people like myself that eats at chain restaurants are sheep..right... I guess you don't go to or use anything that isn't a chain at all. Guess you won't be eating at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant anymore now either as *gasp* he has a chain of restaurants too!

You just lost all credibility as a "food critic" because you look down at people that eat at chains. Guess we can't all be hipster like you and eat only mom and pop everyday. You also self-contradicted yourself because you too ate at The Halal Guys despite claiming you don't eat at chains! LoL!!!

Is that Gordon Ramsay restaurant on Hospital road a chain?

And yes, I said earlier I tried Halal Guys and didn't like it.

And obviously you are a sheep because you seem to folllow the hype.
Jul 7, 2013
675 posts
268 upvotes
North York
Raggie wrote:
So youre telling us that you're NOT a sheep for trying it out?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5799 posts
757 upvotes
Mississauga
xblackrainbow wrote:
May 9th, 2017 6:58 pm
So youre telling us that you're NOT a sheep for trying it out?
Yes we fell for the hype of what is known as Halal Guys!

At the time last summer, I made it a point to try the infamous Halal Guys because everyone kept raving about it...

So the first day we arrived into NYC, we scouted out the Halal Guys cart. I ordered two of those huge platters for $7(?) each, and asked for hot sauce and that to-die-for white sauce. We found a corner close by to sit at so we could enjoy this meal. We added the hot sauce and the white sauce...Face Screaming In Fear. The white sauce tasted like salad dressing. The hot sauce too hot. The shredded bits of chicken was too dry.

What a waste, we only ate a quarter of our meals. We tossed out our Halal Guys, and then went and bought food from the street food fair that was happening all along the surrounding area.

My wasted Halal Guys platter below:

Jul 7, 2013
675 posts
268 upvotes
North York
Raggie wrote:
May 9th, 2017 7:42 pm
Yes we fell for the hype of what is known as Halal Guys!

At the time last summer, I made it a point to try the infamous Halal Guys because everyone kept raving about it...

So the first day we arrived into NYC, we scouted out the Halal Guys cart. I ordered two of those huge platters for $7(?) each, and asked for hot sauce and that to-die-for white sauce. We found a corner close by to sit at so we could enjoy this meal. We added the hot sauce and the white sauce...Face Screaming In Fear. The white sauce tasted like salad dressing. The hot sauce too hot. The shredded bits of chicken was too dry.

What a waste, we only ate a quarter of our meals. We tossed out our Halal Guys, and then went and bought food from the street food fair that was happening all along the surrounding area.

My wasted Halal Guys platter below:

Maybe if you were more careful with the red sauce, you wouldnt have ruined the meal. I mean look at that. They already warn people who think they're tough foodies- surprised you didnt get the memo
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3003 posts
498 upvotes
Mississauga
True that's wayyyy too much hot sauce and I eat spicy. You only need a drop or two of theirs and you will still be sweating.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel