Off Topic Archive

Locked: ~~~Halloween~~~ - Pumpkin Carving Challenge!

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2008 9:48 am
Tags:
None
Member
Dec 17, 2003
341 posts
2 upvotes

~~~Halloween~~~ - Pumpkin Carving Challenge!

Hey All,
With the Halloween season approaching, I was wondering if any of you enjoy carving pumpkins? Last year, I couldn't think of anything traditional I liked, so I did the Linux penguin - my new avatar for this month.

Still trying to think of what I will do this year... Does anyone else bother with this or is Halloween just for kids now? I'm 23 and I enjoy seeing the results. The only funny part last year was I sent my picture to all my friends and they thought it was a digi-image ripped off the net :confused: When I asked them what they thought of it they couldn't believe I made it! It's not that hard (as any carving enthusiast would know :P)

If anyone does carve a pumpkin, post a pic up and we could have a little poll or something .. obviously just fun but still I'd be interested in what others can do!

Edit Brought back to life for 2006!
Share:
94 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
1596 posts
130 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm big on halloween. I went trick or treating with my brother and baby sister up until I was 19! I only stopped b/c I was finally old enough to go clubbing. I still dress up and everything! Go halloween!
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 28, 2003
107 posts
Halloween is quite possibly my favourite holiday. :) I am hopefully going to majorly decorate outside. Problem is, our street is so quiet that no one ever comes down it. There are so few kids, we only get maybe 25.. and the number is going down. :(

I hate the fact that half our street turn their lights off and won't participate. I mean, come on. Candy isn't that expensive.. have fun with it!

I'm still thinking of a pumpkin idea. One year I did an ernie and bert. :) Last year was a sponge bob. No pics though. I want to do something fun this year, but I don't know what yet. I'll take a pic if I do. :)

Good for you for keeping with the halloween spirit and post a pic of your new pumpkin this year. :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 25, 2003
2262 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't carve my own pumpkin anymore. Now I have the ones with the light that you just plug in!
Banned
User avatar
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
4 upvotes
kristi wrote:Halloween is quite possibly my favourite holiday.
Back in where I live we still went to school on Halloween
:cry:
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Member
Jun 5, 2003
366 posts
crazyboie wrote:Still trying to think of what I will do this year... Does anyone else bother with this or is Halloween just for kids now? I'm 23 and I enjoy seeing the results. The only funny part last year was I sent my picture to all my friends and they thought it was a digi-image ripped off the net :confused: When I asked them what they thought of it they couldn't believe I made it! It's not that hard (as any carving enthusiast would know :P)
Actually, Halloween has become quite popular in the past few years. People are spending more and having more parties around Halloween. Hey, any reason to drink is a good one.

I've already received a pumpkin as a gift, but it's too early to carve. Anyone know how long a carve pumpkin will last?
[OP]
Member
Dec 17, 2003
341 posts
2 upvotes
justlooking wrote:Actually, Halloween has become quite popular in the past few years. People are spending more and having more parties around Halloween. Hey, any reason to drink is a good one.

I've already received a pumpkin as a gift, but it's too early to carve. Anyone know how long a carve pumpkin will last?
3, 4 days tops.. and you should keep it outside.. last year I carved mine 4 days before and we lit it in my office and watched it slowly mold away. By Halloween night it was ready to die! But it's all good :)



Just gotta remember to make pumpkin seeds this year!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
1596 posts
130 upvotes
Vancouver
crazyboie wrote:3, 4 days tops.. and you should keep it outside.. last year I carved mine 4 days before and we lit it in my office and watched it slowly mold away. By Halloween night it was ready to die!
I remember the first time I carved a pumpkin, it was like 2 weeks before halloween. The pumpkin *appeared* fine by the time halloween had come and gone, but when my dad went to pick it up to throw out, there was a big rank soupy mess under where the pumpkin had been sitting and the thing nearly imploded.
[OP]
Member
Dec 17, 2003
341 posts
2 upvotes
yummy!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6287 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
I like halloween, but I just haven't found the energy to do anything in years.

And the whole trick or treating scene went down the crapper when I moved to Kitchener years ago. You look outside now and you really have to stand there a few minutes to realize it's halloween, there's that few kids.

I remember running from house to house when I lived in toronto getting hand fulls of candy, and there was always a handful of haunted houses and other cool places.

In kitchener it always seemed to be every other house giving out a single peice of candy. In the few years I trick or treated here I probably didn't get much more then what I would have in 1 year back in Toronto.
[OP]
Member
Dec 17, 2003
341 posts
2 upvotes
Degenerate wrote:Back in where I live we still went to school on Halloween
:cry:
I never had any time off from school... I'm pretty sure it's the same way now, right? Except this year it's on sunday (leaping over a saturday Devil's Night :twisted: )
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 26, 2002
5406 posts
171 upvotes
BC
justlooking wrote:Actually, Halloween has become quite popular in the past few years. People are spending more and having more parties around Halloween. Hey, any reason to drink is a good one.

I've already received a pumpkin as a gift, but it's too early to carve. Anyone know how long a carve pumpkin will last?

i keep mine in the fridge during the day and i get a good 4 days out of it.

i love carving pumpkins!!! each year i try to do something better than the year before.. last year i did a haunted house, i love the effect. always i try to have something scary, i mean.. its halloween!!!
That's my 2cents worth
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I spend 2 or 3 nights carving pumpkins, all the fancy ones. Last year I think I did Shrek, Nemo, Sponge Bob, a cat, a haunted house and some others. I do at least 14. I cut wholes in the bottom and place them over my Noma Moonrays to light them. A couple of years ago we did a huge snake across my in-laws yard from a pattern off the net. I think it was 25 pumpkins and we lit it with Xmas lights. I also decorate the front of the house and on Halloween night we set up the surround sound speakers outside and play halloween music. Last year we ended up with a bunch of parents dancing to The Monster Mash in the middle of our street! :lol:
Member
Jun 5, 2003
366 posts
Keelie wrote:i keep mine in the fridge during the day and i get a good 4 days out of it.

i love carving pumpkins!!! each year i try to do something better than the year before.. last year i did a haunted house, i love the effect. always i try to have something scary, i mean.. its halloween!!!
You must have a large fridge or nothing in it. :D I can't even fit another can of pop in mine.

Few years ago, I didn't Darth Maul in honor of SW. Also did Homer Simpson the shape of the pumpkin made me think of it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 21, 2003
6752 posts
754 upvotes
Has anyone seen that electric pumpkin carving tool? I can't remember what flyer I saw it in, but it was a special item purchase, and was around $35. Had some cool attachments for some VERY fine cutting. A must have for any pumpkin carver. RFD'ers, what's the best deal on one of these?
× < >

Top