• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 9:14 am
[OP]
Jul 6, 2008
765 posts
168 upvotes
London

Halo Top Ice Cream *Now in Canada*

HALO TOP ICE CREAM is now in Canada... Saw this at my local Metro... (also its on sale this week for $5.99)

I tried the birthday cake and cookie dough... very delicious... much lighter than other ice cream and less sweet
Images
  • IMG_1127.jpg
  • IMG_1128.jpg
  • IMG_1129.jpg
  • IMG_1130.jpg
127 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2581 posts
444 upvotes
Mississauga
Check the new product thread.
Feb 17, 2009
147 posts
9 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 2:41 am
Great on low carb, Paleo or keto diets
Somehow I don't think paleolithic man had access to a frozen tub of various chemicals, artificial sweeteners, etc. Face With Tears Of Joy

Anyway, I am a Halo top fan myself.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12526 posts
1140 upvotes
Mississauga
Malicious wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 11:38 am
Somehow I don't think paleolithic man had access to a frozen tub of various chemicals, artificial sweeteners, etc. Face With Tears Of Joy

Anyway, I am a Halo top fan myself.
LOL -- touche
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6983 posts
1393 upvotes
This stuff has been available at Summerhill Market for years.
May 23, 2017
844 posts
313 upvotes
I had these in my basket but as a true RFD'er I couldn't bring myself to pay $7 for the amount of ice cream that you would get in a single scoop at a ice cream shop. the size is soooooo small
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5655 posts
1505 upvotes
Montreal
For the fitness enthusiasts out there, Halo Top just arrived in Canada. Been waiting so long for this. Every time I went to the US, I'd eat one a day.
It's light on calories, pack a good amount of protein and actually tastes good (in my book).

Here's their announcement on IG:

According to their store locators, the Maxi's near my location all have it... gonna have to start hunting for some.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3953 posts
104 upvotes
Very decent ice-cream. Looking forward to trying some of the flavors I haven't had before.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7674 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 12:51 pm
I had these in my basket but as a true RFD'er I couldn't bring myself to pay $7 for the amount of ice cream that you would get in a single scoop at a ice cream shop. the size is soooooo small
you're also getting a lot less ice cream by weight for the halo top vs haagen dazs. a pint of chocolate halo top contains a total of 256 grams of ice cream vs haagen dazs at 408 grams. i'm sticking with hd/ pc black label for my occasional ice cream fix.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Feb 16, 2018
180 posts
94 upvotes
I saw this post and ran right out and bought some. So good, I can understand why this became the #1 selling Ice cream in the US in 2017.

$7, pint but who cares, low sugar, low calories, low carb

Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2572 posts
762 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 6:43 pm
I saw this post and ran right out and bought some. So good, I can understand why this became the #1 selling Ice cream in the US in 2017.

$7, pint but who cares, low sugar, low calories, low carb

I hope you realize its not much different from regular ice cream in calories lol
90 cal in 125ml? Regular ice-cream is usually 120 cal in 125ml, frozen yogurt is less

It just has fillers instead of all sugar, sugar alcohols and prebiotic fibre for carbs. Most companies don't even count sugar alcohols or fibre in their listed calories, which it does count. Making the food look like it has less calories than it does. Which halo top does.

Try adding the calories yourself, each gram of carb/protein = 4calories, each gram of fat = 9calories
About 25% more than the listed calories.

Vanilla bean said 1/2 serving is 70 calories, when you add it up, it becomes 94

Feb 16, 2018
180 posts
94 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 7:16 pm
I hope you realize its not much different from regular ice cream in calories lol
90 cal in 125ml? Regular ice-cream is usually 120 cal in 125ml, frozen yogurt is less

It just has fillers instead of all sugar, sugar alcohols and prebiotic fibre for carbs. Most companies don't even count sugar alcohols or fibre in their listed calories, which it does count. Making the food look like it has less calories than it does. Which halo top does.

Try adding the calories yourself, each gram of carb/protein = 4calories, each gram of fat = 9calories
About 25% more than the listed calories.

Vanilla bean said 1/2 serving is 70 calories, when you add it up, it becomes 94

Yes I realize that. It's not just about the calories. It's about the sugar content and the carbs. if it was just about the calories I wouldn't buy it. Lots of ice cream has far more calories than this. Ben and Jerry's, Kawartha Dairy, Hagen Daz are all sitting at far more than 130 calories per serving.

The main point of the ice cream is it's low carb/low sugar

And lets face it, who eats 125 ml of ice cream in a sitting? Most people are eating 2 servings at once or more which equals hundreds of calories difference and a crap ton of sugar
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15648 posts
3441 upvotes
Toronto
This brand is all about marketing. "Healthy ice cream" for the hipsters who want to spend $7 on a pint.
Feb 16, 2018
180 posts
94 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 7:47 pm
This brand is all about marketing. "Healthy ice cream" for the hipsters who want to spend $7 on a pint.
I'm definitely not a hipster and I definitely don't think it's healthy. it is however, healthier than regular ice cream with far less sugar.

If I chose to spend $7 on a pint of ice cream, so be it. I can afford it. You roll your eyes at the people who spend $7 on a pint of ice cream. I choose to roll them at the ones who spend $1k on the newest I-phone or $50k on a new vehicle.

Different perspectives, different priorities