Food & Drink

Halo Top Ice Cream *Now in Canada*

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 9:14 am
Sr. Member
Dec 29, 2012
502 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Is this even real ice cream? It's labelled as "frozen dairy dessert" on the carton.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2504 posts
749 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 7:33 pm
Yes I realize that. It's not just about the calories. It's about the sugar content and the carbs. if it was just about the calories I wouldn't buy it. Lots of ice cream has far more calories than this. Ben and Jerry's, Kawartha Dairy, Hagen Daz are all sitting at far more than 130 calories per serving.

The main point of the ice cream is it's low carb/low sugar

And lets face it, who eats 125 ml of ice cream in a sitting? Most people are eating 2 servings at once or more which equals hundreds of calories difference and a crap ton of sugar
There you go again, not understanding that it barely has a caloric difference.
By the way the other stuff actually DOESN'T matter. CALORIES DO.
HghSsociety wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 7:59 pm
I'm definitely not a hipster and I definitely don't think it's healthy. it is however, healthier than regular ice cream with far less sugar.

If I chose to spend $7 on a pint of ice cream, so be it. I can afford it. You roll your eyes at the people who spend $7 on a pint of ice cream. I choose to roll them at the ones who spend $1k on the newest I-phone or $50k on a new vehicle.

Different perspectives, different priorities
With that logic, you might as well buy a nokia with an iPhone sticker on it for twice the price. It would be better than a regular nokia because you get a sticker. Even though it makes no difference.

But hey its your money. I was just letting you know the lower calorie marketing aspect, is a lie. You can do whatever you like.
Jr. Member
Feb 16, 2018
164 posts
86 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 8:36 pm
There you go again, not understanding that it barely has a caloric difference.
By the way the other stuff actually DOESN'T matter. CALORIES DO.



With that logic, you might as well buy a nokia with an iPhone sticker on it for twice the price. It would be better than a regular nokia because you get a sticker. Even though it makes no difference.

But hey its your money. I was just letting you know the lower calorie marketing aspect, is a lie. You can do whatever you like.
Are you trying to be a troll, or just reading what you want to read? I clearly pointed out that the two main features are the sugar content and low carbs and if it was just about the calories, I wouldn't buy it. That was clearly stated in the post you quoted.

And are you seriously trying to claim that sugar content doesn't actually matter?In what context and in what world are you coming from? With that logic you could just eat snickers and jube jubes all day and nothing else as clearly sugar content doesn't matter at all....

And since you seem to be stuck on calories for whatever reason Kawartha Dairy & Hagen Daz ice cream has 200-250 calories per serving compared to 94 (using your calculations) in the Halo top, so yes there is quite a difference per serving. More than twice as much
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5507 posts
1353 upvotes
Montreal
$7 is not that bad, when I was in Florida and Hawaii, regular price was around 6-7 bucks USD, and saw them at around $5 USD on sale.

This is god send when cutting weight. Most people here are not into fitness and probably have never gone into a caloric restrictive diet so they probably will not know the value of such product like Halo Top or Walden Farm products. For the normal John Doe, just eat your normal ice cream and save money.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2504 posts
749 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 9:15 pm
Are you trying to be a troll, or just reading what you want to read? I clearly pointed out that the two main features are the sugar content and low carbs and if it was just about the calories, I wouldn't buy it. That was clearly stated in the post you quoted.

And are you seriously trying to claim that sugar content doesn't actually matter?In what context and in what world are you coming from? With that logic you could just eat snickers and jube jubes all day and nothing else as clearly sugar content doesn't matter at all....

And since you seem to be stuck on calories for whatever reason Kawartha Dairy & Hagen Daz ice cream has 200-250 calories per serving compared to 94 (using your calculations) in the Halo top, so yes there is quite a difference per serving. More than twice as much
Well you pointed out 3 points, 2/3 that didn't really matter were true. 1/3 that does matter is false.

Actually it's been proven you could just eat snickers and jube jubes and lose weight. On the contrary if you ate 30 cups of brown rice a day not only would you be obese, but you'd have a ton of health issues. Even though it has no sugar.
The context is called energy balance, it is from the world we live in. Not some magical world where sugar is the main dictator of health/fitness.

The difference there is hagen daz / kawartha dairy is REAL ice-cream. Halo-top is a frozen dairy desserts. Much like comparing a nokia to an iPhone
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15217 posts
3154 upvotes
Toronto
Why would anyone eat ice cream or frozen dessert to lose weight? What is the appeal of this brand? It's not ice cream. Yes it has fewer sugars and calories, but they expect people to eat it everyday? I think it's interesting but don't fully understand the appeal. Why not eat frozen yogurt or Sorbet?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8572 posts
779 upvotes
Not wanting to start anything but what is the appeal of this item?

I don't know anything about it.
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2009
146 posts
9 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:04 am
Not wanting to start anything but what is the appeal of this item?

I don't know anything about it.
Entire pint of Ben & Jerry's: ~1,200kcal
Entire pint of Halo Top: ~300kcal

That's about it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8572 posts
779 upvotes
Malicious wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:07 am
Entire pint of Ben & Jerry's: ~1,200kcal
Entire pint of Halo Top: ~300kcal

That's about it
OK thanks so it's a calorie product so people can eat it without the large calories.

For those who have tried it, what does it compare to in terms of quality, texture etc? Is it as rich as HD or is it more Chapmans or Breyers?
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
914 posts
208 upvotes
Anyone spot these in Edmonton yet?

A bit skeptical but I'd love to try this out.
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2009
146 posts
9 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:27 am
OK thanks so it's a calorie product so people can eat it without the large calories.

For those who have tried it, what does it compare to in terms of quality, texture etc? Is it as rich as HD or is it more Chapmans or Breyers?
You're not going to get the taste or texture of a traditional ice cream for 1/4 of the calories. It's a good product for what it is.
Jr. Member
Feb 16, 2018
164 posts
86 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 8:14 am
Well you pointed out 3 points, 2/3 that didn't really matter were true. 1/3 that does matter is false.

Actually it's been proven you could just eat snickers and jube jubes and lose weight. On the contrary if you ate 30 cups of brown rice a day not only would you be obese, but you'd have a ton of health issues. Even though it has no sugar.
The context is called energy balance, it is from the world we live in. Not some magical world where sugar is the main dictator of health/fitness.

The difference there is hagen daz / kawartha dairy is REAL ice-cream. Halo-top is a frozen dairy desserts. Much like comparing a nokia to an iPhone
Where did this topic of weigh loss even come from? If you are going to sit there and try and dispute the fact that less sugar makes no difference to your overall health I have no words...
Jr. Member
Feb 16, 2018
164 posts
86 upvotes
Malicious wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:07 am
Entire pint of Ben & Jerry's: ~1,200kcal
Entire pint of Halo Top: ~300kcal

That's about it
Well according to Toronto 19850, you are wrong. the calories are almost identical....
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
10460 posts
1200 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 7:59 pm

I'm definitely not a hipster and I definitely don't think it's healthy. it is however, healthier than regular ice cream with far less sugar.

If I chose to spend $7 on a pint of ice cream, so be it. I can afford it. You roll your eyes at the people who spend $7 on a pint of ice cream. I choose to roll them at the ones who spend $1k on the newest I-phone or $50k on a new vehicle.

Different perspectives, different priorities
But don't you think it's odd that the very reason why ice cream is expensive in the first place is the cream and this product tries to use as little of it as possible yet still charge a premium pricing in the realm of ice cream which uses much higher percentage of cream (ie Haagen Dazs).

This is just as odd as someone with the handle "HghSsociety" would roll their eyes at anyone spending $1k for a phone or $50K for a car.

yesnomaybe wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 8:00 pm
Is this even real ice cream? It's labelled as "frozen dairy dessert" on the carton.
Anything lower than the minimum requirements for ice cream cannot be labeled or sold as ice cream in Canada. In Canada, ice cream just needs 8% milk fats and 36% solids. Those are fairly weak rules as US requires 10% milk fat and 55% solids.
carmaster wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 9:31 am
Why would anyone eat ice cream or frozen dessert to lose weight? What is the appeal of this brand? It's not ice cream. Yes it has fewer sugars and calories, but they expect people to eat it everyday? I think it's interesting but don't fully understand the appeal. Why not eat frozen yogurt or Sorbet?
The appeal is that it takes a product that is basically known as one of the worst things to eat on a diet as it's just empty calories and selling it as a "guilt free" alternative... and "healthy".

My personal opinion is ice cream is a treat to enjoy once in a while. If people are gorging on this every day and eating the whole pint (like Halo Top suggested you do), how is this healthy? It's still empty calories. It's not going to fill you up and if nothing else, it'll make you a addict for sweet stuff.

I personally find this interesting because having tried many of the frozen desserts, to me it doesn't taste like ice cream. Yet people rave about this product. It's enough to make me want to try it.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15217 posts
3154 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:43 am
But don't you think it's odd that the very reason why ice cream is expensive in the first place is the cream and this product tries to use as little of it as possible yet still charge a premium pricing in the realm of ice cream which uses much higher percentage of cream (ie Haagen Dazs).

This is just as odd as someone with the handle "HghSsociety" would roll their eyes at anyone spending $1k for a phone or $50K for a car.




Anything lower than the minimum requirements for ice cream cannot be labeled or sold as ice cream in Canada. In Canada, ice cream just needs 8% milk fats and 36% solids. Those are fairly weak rules as US requires 10% milk fat and 55% solids.



The appeal is that it takes a product that is basically known as one of the worst things to eat on a diet as it's just empty calories and selling it as a "guilt free" alternative... and "healthy".

My personal opinion is ice cream is a treat to enjoy once in a while. If people are gorging on this every day and eating the whole pint (like Halo Top suggested you do), how is this healthy? It's still empty calories. It's not going to fill you up and if nothing else, it'll make you a addict for sweet stuff.

I personally find this interesting because having tried many of the frozen desserts, to me it doesn't taste like ice cream. Yet people rave about this product. It's enough to make me want to try it.
Ya agree with you. Ice cream is a treat and shouldn't be eaten on a regular basis. Interesting idea though. They must have a hell of a marketing department.

Top