Food & Drink

Halo Top Ice Cream *Now in Canada*

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2018 12:36 pm
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2009
146 posts
9 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:20 am
Well according to Toronto 19850, you are wrong. the calories are almost identical....
I don't know what ice cream has 120kcal per 125ml... maybe something cheap more similar to frozen yogurt.

Ben & Jerry's or HD are around 280-330kcal per 125ml. Call it 300 x 4 servings in a pint = 1,200. Halo Top tubs in the USA are labelled with the full calorie count for the pint and range from 280-360.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 7, 2005
3850 posts
157 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:04 am
Not wanting to start anything but what is the appeal of this item?

I don't know anything about it.
People on a Keto Diet limit the carbs they consume each day... so they will eat bacon, butter, eggs, coffee with butter in it, heavy cream sauces, dark veggies for fibre... stuff like that. When the body doesn't have carbs to burn for energy, the body switches over to burning fat (ketosis). body fat and fat from food you eat. So instead of chicken breast, you would eat chicken thigh because it has higher fat content. When you don't eat refined carbs like white bread and birthday cake, you don't have that blood sugar insulin response. Halo top doesn't trigger that insulin spike supposedly so you stay in a state of Ketosis (body burns fat for fuel). I was a carb junkie so I miss ice cream :)
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5000 posts
430 upvotes
Malicious wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:07 am
Entire pint of Ben & Jerry's: ~1,200kcal
Entire pint of Halo Top: ~300kcal

That's about it
Or people could just adjust their serving size. I feel like products like these have a weird way of helping people not learn to just adjust their portion sizes. It's nice to eat a load of food every once in a while. So I can see the appeal of buying it occasionally.

Even when I'm dieting I will eat regular ice cream because I prefer the taste. I just portion it out and eat less of it.
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2009
146 posts
9 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:58 am
Or people could just adjust their serving size. I feel like products like these have a weird way of helping people not learn to just adjust their portion sizes. It's nice to eat a load of food every once in a while. So I can see the appeal of buying it occasionally.

Even when I'm dieting I will eat regular ice cream because I prefer the taste. I just portion it out and eat less of it.
I don't disagree with you... I eat both and have no problem portioning out a pint of B&J. A lot of people can't for whatever reason.

A lot of the Halo Top hype also came out of the bodybuilding/fitness world. When you're trying to starve yourself to low levels of bodyfat, sometimes being able to crush a full pint of something helps from a mental standpoint.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
4833 posts
2218 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
amz155 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:58 am
Or people could just adjust their serving size. I feel like products like these have a weird way of helping people not learn to just adjust their portion sizes. It's nice to eat a load of food every once in a while. So I can see the appeal of buying it occasionally.

Even when I'm dieting I will eat regular ice cream because I prefer the taste. I just portion it out and eat less of it.
I want to eat a lot of ice cream or none at all. I am willing to try this Halo Top stuff and see how it lives up to the hype.
Jr. Member
Feb 16, 2018
125 posts
60 upvotes
Malicious wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:51 am
I don't know what ice cream has 120kcal per 125ml... maybe something cheap more similar to frozen yogurt.

Ben & Jerry's or HD are around 280-330kcal per 125ml. Call it 300 x 4 servings in a pint = 1,200. Halo Top tubs in the USA are labelled with the full calorie count for the pint and range from 280-360.


My comment was sarcastic. The poster I was referencing was trying to explain to me that the difference in calories was basically non existent. Apparently Toronto19850 likes either a) being a troll or b) completely oblivious to calorie information

Not to mention according to him sugar content doesn't matter at all in regards to nutrition
Jr. Member
Feb 16, 2018
125 posts
60 upvotes
Malicious wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 12:15 pm
I don't disagree with you... I eat both and have no problem portioning out a pint of B&J. A lot of people can't for whatever reason.

A lot of the Halo Top hype also came out of the bodybuilding/fitness world. When you're trying to starve yourself to low levels of bodyfat, sometimes being able to crush a full pint of something helps from a mental standpoint.
Exactly this. ^^ Mentaly the benefits are huge
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5000 posts
430 upvotes
Malicious wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 12:15 pm
I don't disagree with you... I eat both and have no problem portioning out a pint of B&J. A lot of people can't for whatever reason.

A lot of the Halo Top hype also came out of the bodybuilding/fitness world. When you're trying to starve yourself to low levels of bodyfat, sometimes being able to crush a full pint of something helps from a mental standpoint.
Oh I know and the bodybuilding/fitness world has its fare share of disordered eating. Don't even get me started on 'flex bowls' lol!

I know why eating a large portion of food with a smaller kcal bottom line might appeal to people. It still makes me scratch my head sometimes :)
Newbie
Jun 2, 2012
38 posts
21 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I would agree with the earlier poster that mentioned weight. The lower calorie count can be at least partially attributed to the lower weight/density of this product versus something like Hagen daz. Is it really that much lower in calories/sugar. gram for gram?

It’s like whipping cream. Do I want to pay for a pint of whipping cream or a pint of whipped cream? If the price is the same I would go for the whipping cream. A similar comparison can be made with the whipped cream cheese that’s become popular lately. Same price for less actual product and more air.

I think the halo marketing is misleading at best. A pint of air filled questionable substances selling for an ultra premium price just doesn’t have the same value proposition for me as a pint of Hagen daz.
Banned
Feb 18, 2018
23 posts
4 upvotes
Tried this after hearing how great it is. I tried the chocolate chip cookie dough and while it was good it wasn't worth the $5.99. Its not real ice cream and the smaller size isnt worth the cost. The good thing is the lower calories for those who are on calorie restricted diets. I prefer Hagen Daz over this.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
20140 posts
5042 upvotes
Toronto
.. how did this thread turn into a huge debate ?

Just want to know what is a good flavour to try. I have never heard of this brand at all.
Newbie
Mar 25, 2015
34 posts
12 upvotes
ON
There are only 12 flavours launch in Canada, just in case anyone wanna know:
-Vanilla Bean
-Chocolate
-Sea salt caramel
-Peanut Butter Cup
-Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
-Birthday Cake
-Candy Bar
-mint Chip
-Cookie & Cream
-caramel macchiato
-Pancake & Waffles
-Oatmeal Cookie
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5429 posts
1315 upvotes
Montreal
booblehead wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 6:39 pm
.. how did this thread turn into a huge debate ?

Just want to know what is a good flavour to try. I have never heard of this brand at all.
Ive tried PB Cup, Birthday Cake and Cookie and Cream while in the USA. They are all very good, I think I'd go with Birthday Cake as my favorite, but it is very sweet, not for everybody.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
19669 posts
3344 upvotes
Poormond Hill
This is more a PSA than anything else. Those in the Richmond Hill area, be wary of the Halo Ice Cream found in the bunker at the Loblaws on High Tech Road. I was about to buy one and noticed they were soft. Then I looked at the temperature reading of the bunker and it was -3.7 and dropping.
Image
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

Top