Halo Top Ice Cream *Now in Canada*

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 9:14 am
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
If they don't fly off the shelves, I wonder how long of a shelve life they will have.

A good idea to bring products of indulgence to penny squeezing Canadians is probably during the holidays. Why not buy that expensive tub of ice cream for the local shelter so seniors can enjoy. They are probably deprive of anything deemed unhealthy for their diet.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:31 am
If they don't fly off the shelves, I wonder how long of a shelve life they will have.

A good idea to bring products of indulgence to penny squeezing Canadians is probably during the holidays. Why not buy that expensive tub of ice cream for the local shelter so seniors can enjoy. They are probably deprive of anything deemed unhealthy for their diet.
Canadians are free spending, look how well high end stores and restaurants are doing with huge lineups for overpriced food and etc

Shelf life for frozen item should not be an issue...I just bought ice cream from Japan last night from tnt afterall and snacks from Korea ..those damn yogurt covered nuts are so good but so $$$

I actually thought the $6.99 for halo top was really cheap considering the demand/hype
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8449 posts
762 upvotes
I went and saw them, I am surprised how light the tub was and was then shocked that the weight was not too far off from a hagaan daaz. How is that possible?
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9610 posts
3875 upvotes
Ottawa
We need flavor reviews...mine so far:

- Peanut Butter Swirl: This is who I lost my HT virginity to. I'm a big fan of PB and the family consensus was that this was awe-mazing. 8/10
- Vanilla Bean: If you like vanilla it doesn't get more vanilla-y than this, although in no way overpowering. I'm not a huge vanilla fan but I really enjoyed this and next time will pair with a slice of apple pie. 7/10
- Pancakes and Waffles: I had high hopes for this one. However it was way too sweet with a weird chemical aftertaste 4/10
- Cookie and Cream: Where are the cookies? Where's the cream? It tasted nothing like Cookies and cream more like some concoction created in a high school science lab. 1/10
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4853 posts
2240 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Cas77 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:02 am
We need flavor reviews...mine so far:

- Peanut Butter Swirl: This is who I lost my HT virginity to. I'm a big fan of PB and the family consensus was that this was awe-mazing. 8/10
- Vanilla Bean: If you like vanilla it doesn't get more vanilla-y than this, although in no way overpowering. I'm not a huge vanilla fan but I really enjoyed this and next time will pair with a slice of apple pie. 7/10
- Pancakes and Waffles: I had high hopes for this one. However it was way too sweet with a weird chemical aftertaste 4/10
- Cookie and Cream: Where are the cookies? Where's the cream? It tasted nothing like Cookies and cream more like some concoction created in a high school science lab. 1/10
So far I tried the Vanilla and the oatmeal cookie. Both were very good. I'll have to try the Peanut Butter one.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4853 posts
2240 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
RaisinBran wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:39 am
Canadians are free spending, look how well high end stores and restaurants are doing with huge lineups for overpriced food and etc

Shelf life for frozen item should not be an issue...I just bought ice cream from Japan last night from tnt afterall and snacks from Korea ..those damn yogurt covered nuts are so good but so $$$

I actually thought the $6.99 for halo top was really cheap considering the demand/hype
They were $5.99 here in Ottawa where I bought them (Metro).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4853 posts
2240 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
RaisinBran wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:09 am
But compared to stuff like Chapman's, it's not that much lower in calories and Halo top is way more full of air. Per serving, the halo top I got is 90calories per 125ml vs like 130 calories for Chapman's

Halo top is no Haden Daz and I find Chapman's better tasting and satisfying.
Chapman's is okay, but I don't find it better tasting.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
Oatmeal cookie was what I tried and it was disgustingly sweet ..would not buy again for sure that flavor
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10276 posts
1094 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 8:31 am
I went and saw them, I am surprised how light the tub was and was then shocked that the weight was not too far off from a hagaan daaz. How is that possible?
It's a pint, so any ice cream/frozen dessert is going to be light (as ice cream tends to have at least 30% air). So it's going to be hard to measure the weight difference. But Halo top does use more air than Haagen Dazs. It's anywhere from 30% to 50% lighter than Haagen Dazs by weight.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7270 posts
1720 upvotes
Toronto
once again
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 5:50 pm
you're also getting a lot less ice cream frozen dessert by weight for the halo top vs haagen dazs ice cream. a pint of chocolate halo top contains a total of 256 grams of "ice cream" vs haagen dazs at 408 grams. i'm sticking with hd/ pc black label for my occasional ice cream fix.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9610 posts
3875 upvotes
Ottawa
carmaster wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 11:45 am
It's not ice cream it's frozen dairy dessert.
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:42 pm
once again
In their own defense that's not by choice, you can blame the milk cartel and government empowering themfor not having Halo Top ice cream or having a small sample of their full line available to us.

Thousands of Canadians asked for their product and they openly tried for a few years to bring their ice cream up here and had sticks thrown in their wheels be cause apparently US milk is bad and full of antibiotics and hormones and poisonous and many can't tell the difference between US milk and kerosene in blind taste tests amnd Canadian cows are going to commit suicide and we don't want to be able to decide what milk we wish to consume in our own bodies. They're a young-ish food company that grew very rapidly and offer a high demand product. The only way to sell their unmodified product is to open a whole new factory in Canada.

In their case "frozen desert" shouldn't be used negatively, they are not Nestlé a 152 year old company with multiple factories in Canada silently cheaping out on their traditional products to fool the masses for an extra buck.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1236 posts
318 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 10:47 am
They were $5.99 here in Ottawa where I bought them (Metro).
Which location did you find them at? They've been sold out at 3 Metro's