Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Mountain Equipment Co-op

Hamilton - $19 (or $14) For 4 Oil Changes, 4 Tire Rotations at Master Mechanic

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2010 2:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5039 posts
302 upvotes
Stoney Creek

[Mountain Equipment Co-op] Hamilton - $19 (or $14) For 4 Oil Changes, 4 Tire Rotations at Master Mechanic

More offers from Mountain Equipment Co-op
@ 485 East 38th St in Hamilton

$19 For Four Lube, Oil & Filter Changes, Four Wheel Tire Rotations & Four Complete Vehicle Inspections ($300 Value)

$14 for all that if you're referred to the site by someone, instead of clicking the link below...

http://www.captainsave.com/deals/halton/ <-- yes, that's an RFD referral link, not mine ;)

Additional details:
Expires August 23, 2011;
Maximum 5 liters of 5W30, 5W20 or 10W30 oil will be used;
One vehicle per voucher, non transferable all service’s to be done on same vehicle;
Must present voucher to receive program benefits;
Call for information, appointment may be necessary, must give at least one hour to perform services;
Valid for most cars, light trucks and SUV’s;
Not valid for fleet sales;
Other motor oils available at additional costs. Not all brands are stocked;
Disposal and shop fees of $3.99 are applicable and taxes are extra and must be paid by customer;
Not to be combined with any other discount, promotion or coupon;
An additional $3.95/ liter will be charged if the vehicle holds over 5L.;
Valid only at 485 East 38th Street in Hamilton
17 replies
Jul 11, 2005
956 posts
76 upvotes
I really doubt if this kind of oil change will do any good to your car. The cost of oil and filter for each change is about the total price. Don't mention salary/equipment/facility cost.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5039 posts
302 upvotes
Stoney Creek
coolcoolfi wrote: I really doubt if this kind of oil change will do any good to your car. The cost of oil and filter for each change is about the total price. Don't mention salary/equipment/facility cost.
It's legit dude... it's called "advertising"
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
h00ch wrote: It's legit dude... it's called "advertising"

It's called bait and switch.

They get you in for an oil change and tell you there are 20 other things wrong with your car. 8 out of 10 people will fall for it.

If you refuse to go for their BS, I wouldn't be surprised if they cause their own damage that they have to repair.

I would never, in a million years, bring my car to one of these places.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5039 posts
302 upvotes
Stoney Creek
CONTROL ONE wrote: It's called bait and switch.

They get you in for an oil change and tell you there are 20 other things wrong with your car. 8 out of 10 people will fall for it.

If you refuse to go for their BS, I wouldn't be surprised if they cause their own damage that they have to repair.

Well, to each his own then. I've bought and used an oil change coupon from another deal like this for a different garage and they didn't try to sell me anything else or tell me I needed any repairs done.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
Common sense, no one do stuff at a loss. There will be some kinda catch once you bought it, such as repairs and such. If you refuse their other stuff, maybe they'll just tell you the oil was changed but in fact didn't.
Apr 17, 2004
323 posts
193 upvotes
CONTROL ONE wrote: It's called bait and switch.

I agree, and in fact I suspect this has happened to me at least once. Once I went for an oil change to a cheapo shop and during inspection they told me many things. I declined. Suddenly in a few moments, a guy came out and told me that my CV boot cover is torn apart! Yes, suddenly my CV boot cover was torn apart which was not told to me just few miutes before. I took my car away and it costed me 150 dollars elsewhere to get it replaced.

For those of you who do not know what is CV boot cover, it is a rubber casing that covers the front wheel drive gears and reside in the wheel assembly. In my opinion, it is one of the easiest thing to tampered with when the car is lifted and require only one blow of any sharp object to put a cut on it!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5039 posts
302 upvotes
Stoney Creek
golden wrote: Common sense, no one do stuff at a loss. There will be some kinda catch once you bought it, such as repairs and such. If you refuse their other stuff, maybe they'll just tell you the oil was changed but in fact didn't.
Common sense? What about when a company advertises? Do you think they do that for free? No! They have to spend money to advertise and draw in customers. This is a way for the company to advertise. If they do a good job and the customer is happy with the service, they will come back after the coupons are done. Why is everyone so paranoid. Sure, what you guys are talking about happens all the time, but those garages will do that with or without a coupon or other discount.
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
h00ch wrote: Common sense? What about when a company advertises? Do you think they do that for free? No! They have to spend money to advertise and draw in customers. This is a way for the company to advertise. If they do a good job and the customer is happy with the service, they will come back after the coupons are done. Why is everyone so paranoid. Sure, what you guys are talking about happens all the time, but those garages will do that with or without a coupon or other discount.

Advertising is a sunk cost though - they don't have any way to capitalize on a flyer once it's sent out.

This 'deal' however is completely different - it's to LURE people in and try to get more work done.

Christ, this IS the business model of any Jiffy lube, Mr. lube, etc.
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
imran909 wrote: I agree, and in fact I suspect this has happened to me at least once. Once I went for an oil change to a cheapo shop and during inspection they told me many things. I declined. Suddenly in a few moments, a guy came out and told me that my CV boot cover is torn apart! Yes, suddenly my CV boot cover was torn apart which was not told to me just few miutes before. I took my car away and it costed me 150 dollars elsewhere to get it replaced.

For those of you who do not know what is CV boot cover, it is a rubber casing that covers the front wheel drive gears and reside in the wheel assembly. In my opinion, it is one of the easiest thing to tampered with when the car is lifted and require only one blow of any sharp object to put a cut on it!

No doubt. 1 quick slice and all of a sudden your boot is leaking grease like crazy.

Fuel lines, brake lines, etc. are also easy targets.

The people who don't think this type of thing doesn't happen are completely naive.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
Besides the fact that people don't know what bait and switch is (fyi this is not bait and switch), they don't understand basic marketing techniques. Particularly in the automotive repair industry, trust is key. By taking a loss on something like an oil change, you build trust and a relationship with your customers so they keep coming back for routine maintenance at the regular price and when bigger repairs come along, they turn to you for those services. This is no different than a loss leader at a grocery store.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Yup, price is too low, price does not cover the price of the oil and filters (assuming they are using good quality oil.) Not even close. If they are using recycled or no name oil, even more reason to run away. Probably an attempt to upsell other services that may or may not be necessary, as said.

Economics says that the garage is not making money of this package, they are losing money. They will have to recoup that loss with additional services.

Human nature says that if you decline those extra services, the managers and staff may be resentful. Do you really want resentful angry people working on your car?

Reputable places charge to cover the cost of parts and reasonable labour, and do not play games like this.

Stay away. An oil change is not something you should cheap out on, repairing engine damage is very expensive.
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: Besides the fact that people don't know what bait and switch is (fyi this is not bait and switch), they don't understand basic marketing techniques. Particularly in the automotive repair industry, trust is key. By taking a loss on something like an oil change, you build trust and a relationship with your customers so they keep coming back for routine maintenance at the regular price and when bigger repairs come along, they turn to you for those services. This is no different than a loss leader at a grocery store.

Ha! Ok, go get your 4 oil changes (if in fact they actually do change your oil) and see if that's the ONLY thing they do for your car or tell you that otherwise your car is perfect. Again, people are way too naive.

Sorry, it's closer to upselling than bait and switch, better?
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: Yup, price is too low, price does not cover the price of the oil and filters (assuming they are using good quality oil.) Not even close. If they are using recycled or no name oil, even more reason to run away. Probably an attempt to upsell other services that may or may not be necessary, as said.

I would stay away from this. An oil change is not something you should cheap out on, repairing engine damage is very expensive. Always, always use a good quality oil.

Economics that the garage is not making money of this package, they are losing money. They will have to recoup that loss with additional services.

Human nature says that if you decline those extra services, the managers and staff may be resentful. Do you really want resentful angry people working on your car?

Stay away.

Thank you, finally someone who understands this perfectly.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Cheap Cat wrote: Besides the fact that people don't know what bait and switch is (fyi this is not bait and switch), they don't understand basic marketing techniques. Particularly in the automotive repair industry, trust is key. By taking a loss on something like an oil change, you build trust and a relationship with your customers so they keep coming back for routine maintenance at the regular price and when bigger repairs come along, they turn to you for those services. This is no different than a loss leader at a grocery store.
Large stores like Superstore, Walmart etc. have HUGE budgets and can 'eat' loss leaders very easily. Also, their 'loss leaders' do not involve labour that must be competently performed.

If an oil change is performed incompetently or inproperly, it can ruin the engine and cause thousands of dollars of damage. It is so common with tire rotations for lazy and rushed mechanics to overtorque the lug nuts with the gun, which will warp your brake rotors. And you can bet at this price, the mechanics are kicked to rush through the jobs and are less likely to things properly.

As I said, reputable garages charge rates that reflect the cost of the parts and reasonable labour and allows them to make a profit and stay in business. They do not play bait and switch games. And yes, I would argue this is bait and switch as I do not think you are just going to get 4 competently performed oil changes and tire rotations for $4 to $5 each without strings attached.

Advertising things that are obviously too good to be true does not build trust.

But, as Control One said, the naive can go for this if choose to, they've been warned.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
5039 posts
302 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Wow, you guys are all talking like this garage is run by crooks! Have any of you even had service at this garage before? Can any of you put any actual facts behind what you are saying towards this particular garage? Captain Save had a previous deal just like this for Accurate Tire in Burlington and I have already gone there (along with a couple of other RFD members) and had a very pleasant experience. The mechanic did mention a problem with my vehicle, but it was one that I was already aware of.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
h00ch wrote: Wow, you guys are all talking like this garage is run by crooks! Have any of you even had service at this garage before? Can any of you put any actual facts behind what you are saying towards this particular garage? Captain Save had a previous deal just like this for Accurate Tire in Burlington and I have already gone there (along with a couple of other RFD members) and had a very pleasant experience. The mechanic did mention a problem with my vehicle, but it was one that I was already aware of.

Look, common sense says that these sorts of packages are not going to sustain them in business. Prices that are too low always make me suspicious and wary.

Maybe they're great mechanics, I really don't know. From the info provided, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole, I wish you luck.
Aug 28, 2006
889 posts
160 upvotes
h00ch wrote: Wow, you guys are all talking like this garage is run by crooks! Have any of you even had service at this garage before? Can any of you put any actual facts behind what you are saying towards this particular garage? Captain Save had a previous deal just like this for Accurate Tire in Burlington and I have already gone there (along with a couple of other RFD members) and had a very pleasant experience. The mechanic did mention a problem with my vehicle, but it was one that I was already aware of.

Please, this is 2010. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

I don't trust any mechanics to begin with, let alone ones that offer deals like this. The best bet is to do it yourself, then you always know it was done properly.

I want to hear from 1 person who goes through all 4 oil changes, can confirm that they infact put NEW oil and a NEW filter on all 4 times and not once pressured them into getting more work done.

Mechanics don't just do a good job and 'hope' you come back, they make it known that something else needs their attention and scare people into returning.

It's unbelieveable how naive some people are. Why do you think there are still people who fall for Nigerian scams?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)