Automotive

Handwashing black cars or dark coloured cars. Feedback?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2018 2:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1651 posts
1525 upvotes

Handwashing black cars or dark coloured cars. Feedback?

I want to do something prohibitively stupid which is to buy a brand new darker colour car, almost black.

I also intend to always use the two bucket method and wash cars by hand and to do whatever I can to minimize swirls. Am I a pro detailer? No, but do I get the idea of using microfiber towels, and using foam cannons and such? Yes.

I presume I'm not the first person on here to have owned a darker coloured car and washed the car exclusively by hand. My question is, for those of you with direct knowledge of this scenario, can a car remain swirl free, or is it a lost cause?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
36 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10171 posts
4293 upvotes
Brampton
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 5:27 pm
I want to do something prohibitively stupid which is to buy a brand new darker colour car, almost black.

I also intend to always use the two bucket method and wash cars by hand and to do whatever I can to minimize swirls. Am I a pro detailer? No, but do I get the idea of using microfiber towels, and using foam cannons and such? Yes.

I presume I'm not the first person on here to have owned a darker coloured car and washed the car exclusively by hand. My question is, for those of you with direct knowledge of this scenario, can a car remain swirl free, or is it a lost cause?
If it's a DD.
It'll eventually be a lost cause. If the swirls don't get you the stone chips will.
I have a dark metallic bronze. I got about 5 years before stone chips started to destroy my paint.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8630 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto
Black car is hardest to take care of for paint swirl wise IMO. PPF the whole black car to avoid the swirls/stone chips
Koodo $40/8GB
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3977 posts
1622 upvotes
Toronto
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 7:09 pm
Black car is hardest to take care of for paint swirl wise IMO. PPF the whole black car to avoid the swirls/stone chips
And how do you protect the pff?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3016 posts
1784 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 7:37 pm
Put more ppf on?

The idea is basically pulling it off and reapply in 3-4 years to protect original paint. That said, my 3M guy did give me some hydrophobic solution to apply to 3M PPF on the hood. Seems pretty good but I have no idea what it is.

But seriously, unless I have some collectible or potential collectible over $500K, I don't think their will be a car worth full body PPF.

And to OP, unless you park your car for winter, don't bother. It will never be new again regardless what type of wash you do.
Nov 20, 2014
189 posts
62 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
No such thing as swirl free, especially if it’s a daily.

However sticking to a two bucket method is not a lost cause, you will have substantially less swirls compared to other black cars that are run through the gas station washes.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2097 posts
2145 upvotes
GTA
You're on the right track. Good washing practices like not scrubbing, the 2 bucket method, good wash mitts, avoiding cross-contamination, good drying towels, a drying aid etc. will go a long way. Worst case, it needs a light polishing once a year. Gloss black cars are the absolute most difficult. Metallic black and the like are a bit more forgiving.
Last edited by derass on Dec 17th, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1004 posts
355 upvotes
York Region
Touchless car washes only Face Savouring Delicious Food

Don't forget about the drying. Get microfiber cloths and just dab.
Last edited by bacalhau4me on Dec 17th, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3186 posts
1836 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
peteryorkuca wrote:
You can ceramic coat it.

I just bought a black car as well. First thing I did was PPF, then ceramic coat the entire car including wheels and brake calipers. OMG, it's so much easier to clean as it's hydrophobic and resistant to scratches. You still have to do the proper washing like two bucket and microfiber cloths, but you don't have to spend as much time washing it as before. I know PPF and ceramic coat does cost a bit, but good PPF has 7-10 year warranties now and ceramic coat last 4-5 years and you can reapply.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Jul 14, 2013
546 posts
84 upvotes
Use a leaf blower for drying.
Last edited by n0thing on Dec 18th, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27368 posts
13317 upvotes
Ottawa
Paint correction and ceramic coating from day one.
I also don't bother wiping after washing anymore and just let it air dry.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9061 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ceramic Coating does not prevent scratches. It will Help with very minor light scratches and those light scratches/swirl marks will hopefully only be in the ceramic coating so that it can be easily polished off and then re-apply ceramic coating.

it is easier to clean and does make the car a bit more shiny/glossy but the most of the shine/gloss comes from the paint correction step before applying the ceramic coating which is why it costs so much.
bomber17 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 9:04 pm
You can ceramic coat it.

I just bought a black car as well. First thing I did was PPF, then ceramic coat the entire car including wheels and brake calipers. OMG, it's so much easier to clean as it's hydrophobic and resistant to scratches. You still have to do the proper washing like two bucket and microfiber cloths, but you don't have to spend as much time washing it as before. I know PPF and ceramic coat does cost a bit, but good PPF has 7-10 year warranties now and ceramic coat last 4-5 years and you can reapply.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9061 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Best thing you can do is what I did when I got my new car.

Brought it home and did any paint correction to it that was needed (not much was needed because I told dealer not to touch it) then I ceramic coated the car. 2-3 days later I took it in to get PPF on the full front of the car and the rear loading sill for the trunk.

After that you just maintain it, so 2 bucket was with quality products such as carpro/geyon/3d products etc. Always using microfiber products & Not using the same brush/wash mitt on the wheels & the paint. You will also need to maintain the ceramic coating if you get it with toppers. If you dont want to spend the money on Ceramic Coating then I can recommend a good quality Wax that will last close to a year and you can apply that twice a year or maybe 3 times if you wish to help protect it.

But you will likely need to do a light polish yearly because if its DD like my car you will always get minor swirl marks, especially from the winter and using the snow rush and so on.
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 5:27 pm

0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9061 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
PPF the full front would of saved you if not seriously reduced the rock chips.
tebore wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 6:17 pm
If it's a DD.
It'll eventually be a lost cause. If the swirls don't get you the stone chips will.
I have a dark metallic bronze. I got about 5 years before stone chips started to destroy my paint.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9061 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You dont really need to protect the ppf? The quality brands dont yellow over time. However what I was told you basically treat it like paint. I have put Wax/sealants/Ceramic Coating over it without issues.
peteryorkuca wrote:
0_o
<_<
>_>