• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2019 4:30 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes

Hang Heung moon cakes

Anyone try these? How do they compare to wah wing?
They’re just as expensive and online reviews in Hong Kong say their bakery is very good. It might be different fresh than in boxes though.

If anyone has tried it, let me know!

One of my friends landlord said it was really good and wah wing, wah kee and hang heung are the top moon cake brands

With wah kee being the best, hang heung being the secon and Wing Wah being the third. But he said it depends on the year?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
Where do you even find the so called #1 and #2 best in gta ?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Where do you even find the so called #1 and #2 best in gta ?
Wing Wah and hang Heung and Kee Wah and all the mooncakes are at Chinese grocery stores. Not sure exact locations or stores for the best selection of each.

Hang Heung and Kee Wah moon cakes were at t&t. Haven’t seen Wing Wah yet.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
Wing Wah is available pretty well at most Asian supermarkets. I just have not seen the others. I will check out at t and t then . Thx
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I can't say in my 55+ years that I've ever developed a taste for the things. No choice (or even a choice) where I am at any rate.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I can't say in my 55+ years that I've ever developed a taste for the things. No choice (or even a choice) where I am at any rate.
LOL me too , I’m just getting them as a gift
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
No ne in my family likes them, mercifully. What found most disturbing were the ones with eggs in them.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
So just to update my grandpa said they were good which is a huge surprise because he never likes anything.

I’ll buy him buns or egg tarts from a fancy Chinese bakery or Chinese bbq at one of the high rated yelp places and he will say he likes the ones he buys better. He has a very picky taste and is blunt rather than a sugar coater

He said Wing Wah is the best but he said these are better after trying it.

I’m not sure if he’s trying to sugar coat it to make me feel better so if someone can let me know if they try it, that would be appreciated it
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: No ne in my family likes them, mercifully. What found most disturbing were the ones with eggs in them.
It’s an acquired taste.
I actually like the ones with the egg more so than the lotus seed/ winter melon ones

I think it’s becuase I never really ate the winter melon ones as a kid
Jun 15, 2008
629 posts
87 upvotes
My FIL used to get us Wing Wah. The price is so expensive at T&T. I saw some snowskin durian with D24 or Musang King and one piece is about $5-$10 (small or big). I think I'll wait till the celebration is over and get a box of Wing Wah.

I make small batches of mooncakes for myself and friends. Different flavours like Pandan snowskin with coconut & palm sugar or custard, bamboo charcoal skin with rose tea, matcha skin with red bean. Gonna try baking durian version this year. I get my inspiration from new flavours in Asia and experiment.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
yogilo wrote: My FIL used to get us Wing Wah. The price is so expensive at T&T. I saw some snowskin durian with D24 or Musang King and one piece is about $5-$10 (small or big). I think I'll wait till the celebration is over and get a box of Wing Wah.

I make small batches of mooncakes for myself and friends. Different flavours like Pandan snowskin with coconut & palm sugar or custard, bamboo charcoal skin with rose tea, matcha skin with red bean. Gonna try baking durian version this year. I get my inspiration from new flavours in Asia and experiment.
Yeah the hang Heung were around the same as wah wing($20 for 2 regular ones, $30 for 6 mini moon cakes, $40 for 4 regular ones, $60 for 8 medium ones). It was a bit cheaper though, I couldn’t find wah wing moon cakes at t&t or I would have got it.

Oh wow, are they hard to make?
I’d never try cause I can barely cook a microwave meal. I’m 100% sure if I tried baking one my grandpa would spit it out LOL
Jun 15, 2008
629 posts
87 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote: Oh wow, are they hard to make?
Assembling it is not too bad but cooking the fillings need a lot of work. Hours of stirring making the lotus paste. I use a Thermomix for that so I don't need to stand at the stove. Now, come to think of it with the costs of the ingredients, labour that goes with it it's no wonder mooncakes are expensive. LOL.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
Bought a box of kee wah 1 yolk white lotus paste. I am pretty impressed with the quality . Not overly sweet and very moist. $44 + taxes
Jun 15, 2008
629 posts
87 upvotes
Bought Kee Wah and Hang Heung mooncakes with yolks to try today. Both my MIL and I find Kee Wah too sweet with very little lotus taste. We both like the Hang Heung ones. The salty egg yolk matches really well with the lotus paste. Wanted to try Maxim HK ones but it was over $50 a box at T&T. Maybe next year.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Just to update
I got Wing Wah moon cakes for my grandpa and grandma. Both liked Hang Heung better.

They said it was softer and had better tasting egg yolk.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
Many Chinese supermarkets have started to put up their mooncakes up for sale already.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
thread revival for 2019 Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Bought a box of Hang Heung single yolk white lotus paste ones (box of 4) at T&T. $37.

There are another typical & so-called well known brands there too but for the 1st time, I saw Peninsula Hotel brand as it is well over $100 for a box of 4, if I recalled correctly. Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
booblehead wrote: thread revival for 2019 Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Bought a box of Hang Heung single yolk white lotus paste ones (box of 4) at T&T. $37.

There are another typical & so-called well known brands there too but for the 1st time, I saw Peninsula Hotel brand as it is well over $100 for a box of 4, if I recalled correctly. Face Screaming In Fear
Forgot to update the thread but I got wing wah mooncakes last year as well and they were better than hang heung moon cakes

Also I got mei xin mooncakes this year cause some friends from China said they were the best and they are better than wing wah in my opinion. Smoother texture