None
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53

hard drive guru wanted !

got 2 questions guys..

1) should i get an 8MB cache hdd..? will i c any performance increase if i get it ?

2) should i get SATA--> ATA133 adapters since my mobo is ATA and i wanted to use SATA drive.. will i notice a performance hit or something?

see the thing is i dont know nuff to ask the questions i should be asking get it??
Please thank me if you find this helpful
7 replies
Apr 26, 2003
997 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
1) yes you'll notice the difference
2) don't, just get the ATA version unless you want talking about the WD raptor
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
AnimeEd wrote:1) yes you'll notice the difference
2) don't, just get the ATA version unless you want talking about the WD raptor
I agree
Besides, 8MB isn't much more $$ nowadays
So is SATA over ATA, but I don't think difference is worth the difference in $$
(but if your mb supports it and you want new HD, why not... none of my MB supports it so no problem for me)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
doomhammer wrote:got 2 questions guys..

1) should i get an 8MB cache hdd..? will i c any performance increase if i get it ?

2) should i get SATA--> ATA133 adapters since my mobo is ATA and i wanted to use SATA drive.. will i notice a performance hit or something?

see the thing is i dont know nuff to ask the questions i should be asking get it??
Don't bother with the SATA to ATA-133 Adapter? You are not going to get SATA performance if your motherboard does not support it.

I would waste the money on the drive either. Most drives are just PATA with a SATA bridge. The only true SATA drives out as far as I know are the Seagate SATA2 drives. But I suggest you buy it, when you get a new board that supports SATA2 natively. By then prices would have dropped too.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
thanks guys.. once again RFD to the rescue!

1) i should get the 8MB cache hdd over the 2MB cache hdd right ??

2) since my mobo has no SATA support natively i should not get the SATA-- ATA133 adapter as i will not see performance increase right ??

u guys are the best.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Aug 18, 2003
519 posts
Chances are, most users are not going to notice the performance difference between an 2MB and 8MB buffer drive (unless if you do a LOT of, say, heavy database or videoediting work). However, you ARE going to notice that your warranty has gone from one year to three years, which is why I'd recommend ANYBODY to go for the 8MB buffer drive. (Seagate being the exception here, since they already have 5 years)

Same with serial-ATA and ATA/133. Most consumer 7200rpm drives can only do 60-70mb/s sustained ANYWAY, so even ATA/100 isn't fazing it. The only data that will transfer faster than that would be the stuff in the drive's buffer - all 8MB of it. Wow, I can transfer 8MB of data at 133mb/s instead of 150mb/s! Woohoo!

The bottom line: don't buy into the hype. serial-ATA drives are not faster than ATA/133 drives. 8MB buffer drives are not significantly faster than 2MB buffer drives. Buy serial ATA if you want nice neat thin cables and a reason to keep your floppy drive. Buy 8MB buffer for the 3-year warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
RedLightning wrote: serial-ATA drives are not faster than ATA/133 drives.
95% of the drives that is true for.

However a WD Raptor will out perform any IDE drive. However it's probably more to do with it being 10K RPM then SATA.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Get 8 MB, don't use S-ATA on a motherboard that doesn't natively support it.

BTW, far as I know, all S-ATA HD's have 8 MB by default.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)