Computers & Electronics

Hard drives don't fit in CPU case (Fractal)???

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2018 9:06 am
[OP]
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
31 posts
49 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 9:57 pm
bungee cords for hdd will work, as will likely drilling your own hole into the tray. If drilling your own holes, be careful, the metal shavings if it gets onto your mobo will fry everything.

or if you're desperate convert it into an external usb drive.
As mentioned in the previous post can't drill, the tray isn't long enough to extend where the hole should be
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2787 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Drill your own holes. Also, CPU case. lol
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8030 posts
3606 upvotes
MVRD
h2o- wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:47 am
This
That's what I thought, too. Hence...wtf?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8030 posts
3606 upvotes
MVRD
Gee wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 12:54 pm
You know what he meant.
Sadly so.
Aug 19, 2018
984 posts
1025 upvotes
Fractal Design DEFINE XL R1 is from 9 years ago. I doubt you will find something off the self that will fit this case.

I had a Define R2 before and didn't have this problem. Strangely enough, because it has some black rubber feet on the caddy that keep the hard drive tight even if I can't use all the screw holes.

Do you by any chance see any rubber on the fastener of the white caddy? If not, perhaps get some small rubber feet (From IKEA? Homedepot) to simply stick it in and tighten the fitting.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
31 posts
49 upvotes
AlexCorniveau wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 8:19 am
As mentioned in the previous post can't drill, the tray isn't long enough to extend where the hole should be
Hello- wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:34 am
Drill your own holes. Also, CPU case. lol
As mentioned in the previous post, and the previous post before that, drilling holes into tray isnt an option.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
31 posts
49 upvotes
Cucumference wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 4:59 pm
Fractal Design DEFINE XL R1 is from 9 years ago. I doubt you will find something off the self that will fit this case.

I had a Define R2 before and didn't have this problem. Strangely enough, because it has some black rubber feet on the caddy that keep the hard drive tight even if I can't use all the screw holes.

Do you by any chance see any rubber on the fastener of the white caddy? If not, perhaps get some small rubber feet (From IKEA? Homedepot) to simply stick it in and tighten the fitting.
The tray is 9CM tall.

The holes in the HD are further apart; i.e. the tray does not cover both holes in the HDD even at the furthest possible point, if I were to drill four sets of new holes... per tray.
Aug 19, 2018
984 posts
1025 upvotes
AlexCorniveau wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 6:29 pm
The tray is 9CM tall.

The holes in the HD are further apart; i.e. the tray does not cover both holes in the HDD even at the furthest possible point, if I were to drill four sets of new holes... per tray.
You didn't answer me about the rubber padding. That is the thing that stop vibration, which the older version of Define might lack. If that is what you lack. Just get some rubber paddings for your tray to put between your tray and your harddrive and it will stop the vibration problem. No additional hole drilling needed.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
31 posts
49 upvotes
Cucumference wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 6:46 pm
You didn't answer me about the rubber padding. That is the thing that stop vibration, which the older version of Define might lack. If that is what you lack. Just get some rubber paddings for your tray to put between your tray and your harddrive and it will stop the vibration problem. No additional hole drilling needed.
It has padding.

The drive wobbles as its weight is not centered, because its screwed from 1 end, not the other.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11709 posts
1394 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Can you get some Meccano pieces to act as a splint (ie. extend the tray)?
Images
  • mec.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5284 posts
2183 upvotes
Well at least nobody suggested drilling into the hdd.