Tags:
None
Apr 19, 2012
91 posts
31 upvotes
Prince George

Hard inquiry for a debit card?

Simple question:

Can a bank in Canada require a hard credit inquiry for the issuance of a debit card? I am just wondering because it happened to me today and I refused to consent to it and thus ended up with no account at all. I know that the bank can't refuse to open an account for this reason, but what about issuing a debit card? Facts only please!! Thanks!

LBond
3 replies
Apr 19, 2012
91 posts
31 upvotes
Prince George
No, no overdraft or anything like that, I just wanted ABM access as the bank doesn't have any branches close to my place. Really good TFSA cash interest rate though, which is why I wanted to get something with them (day-to-day acct & TFSA). I could even have lived with no cash back/hold release amount attached to the card for a few months, but they said that they still needed to do a credit inquiry if they were to issue a debit card at all. It all seemed very strange to me, which is why I decided to ask about it in here.

LB
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
They require a credit check be done to determine your ATM cash back limits etc...
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)