• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2010 2:55 pm
Tags:
None
May 31, 2010
682 posts
7 upvotes

Hard time closing job deal.

So I know someone who recently was working with an independent job agent who found him a job. Everything was going smoothly and eventually congratluated him because he got the job. The benefits and vacation days and salary was laid out for him. Then trouble hit because apparently he forgot the senior VP signature and that person was on vacation. When the VP came back, it seemed like something stalled but the agent won't say what it is. Now it appears that the company wants a clause that forces my friend to complete his CGA within a certain time..WTH!! I thought the agent had everything settled already.. why would he call to congratulate my friend if nothing is official yet!?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2321 posts
393 upvotes
North York
In the world of job hunting, nothing is official until you sign the acceptance offer letter.

The CGA completion clause protects the employer from giving notice / paying salary in lieu of notice in case that your friend failed the exam. Either way, however, clause or no clause - I don't see any problem if he/she can complete the CGA in due time assuming that the time frame given is reasonable.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3401 posts
426 upvotes
Mississauga
Ethan15 wrote: In the world of job hunting, nothing is official until you sign the acceptance offer letter.
Even after that, you have a probation period often

And even after that, job security is never 100%.
May 31, 2010
682 posts
7 upvotes
Ethan15 wrote: In the world of job hunting, nothing is official until you sign the acceptance offer letter.

The CGA completion clause protects the employer from giving notice / paying salary in lieu of notice in case that your friend failed the exam. Either way, however, clause or no clause - I don't see any problem if he/she can complete the CGA in due time assuming that the time frame given is reasonable.
That's a very good point Ethan. I forgot about the purpose of that clause. Hopefully they do not end up putting that clause in there.. oh well we c.