• Nov 22nd, 2014 5:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes

Hardware lag - audio jerking/buzzing

I just got a new desktop and I am having some issue with the audio. It seems that when I move too fast in Windows (for example, if I open several tabs in Firefox at once), the audio from either music source or video source will jerk/buzz (like a 0.5 second interruption). After monitoring the "Performance" tab from "Task Manager", it appears that the music jerk/buzz whenever I get a cpu spike (for example, when CPU utilization goes from 5% to 50% due to other activities on the computer). Any idea how I can fix this?
10 replies
Mar 6, 2012
783 posts
266 upvotes
let me guess, you are using onboard audio? I've always had that issue with onboard audio. Install a cheap standalone sound card and you issue will be fixed.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes
Yes, I am using onboard audio. That's a good suggestion, I am going to get a cheap $25 audio card and see. This is very strange.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes
Well, I opened the case, blow off some dust, re-seated the audio jacks, and went into Bios and used ASUS's "performance setting" instead of its" normal setting", and for the past 10 minutes of music playing, I don't seem to have any issue (and the CPU utilization spike seems to disappear).

One question, if I do decide to add an audio card, would a PCIE16 card fit on a PCIE4 slot (my PCIE16 is taken already by a video card)?
Aug 13, 2006
894 posts
727 upvotes
Ottawa
First of all update you MB chipset drivers to the latest. You could find them on your MB manufacture website.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Onboard motherboard issue, sometimes can be corrected with new firmware, but most of the time not as it is an inherit motherboard design issue !
Try plugging your audio into another audio out port like the front jack normally gets rid of this problem.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes
Ok, so the problem is still there. I am going to get a cheap $25 sound card and see if that fixes it.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
What are your computer specs?

Have you tried latest chipset & audio drivers from the manufacture website?
Have you updated the bios?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes
Here is the computer I bought: http://www.nmicrovip.ca/amd-fx8300-16gb ... furbished/

Ok, this is very frustrating but it was solved at the end.

1. So as suggested here, I bought a cheap $30 sound card on Nov 19, insert it, didn't work.
2. I finally gave up and decided to do a restore of the OS, and for the past 2 days, it has worked perfectly. No more sound issue in the past 48 hours.
Mar 6, 2012
783 posts
266 upvotes
henrycao8 wrote: Here is the computer I bought: http://www.nmicrovip.ca/amd-fx8300-16gb ... furbished/

Ok, this is very frustrating but it was solved at the end.

1. So as suggested here, I bought a cheap $30 sound card on Nov 19, insert it, didn't work.
2. I finally gave up and decided to do a restore of the OS, and for the past 2 days, it has worked perfectly. No more sound issue in the past 48 hours.
when you say it didn't work, do you mean it didn't fix your issue or that the new soundcard didn't work??
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
4045 posts
27 upvotes
toy187 wrote: when you say it didn't work, do you mean it didn't fix your issue or that the new soundcard didn't work??
It didn't fix the issue.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)