• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2018 1:39 pm
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
188 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto

Harsh Engine noise coming inside the car- BMW 320 IX

I keep complaining about that engine noise problem to my BMW dealer for a few months, but they keep ignore or try to blame the tires, but this time I replaced all four tires and took it back to the dealer they acknowledged the noise is coming from the engine compartment.

I found the cause and the correction in the notes

cause: Drive belt tensioner and drive belt noise contaminated with oil due to oil filter housing gaskets leaking.
Correction: Replaced oil filter housing gaskets and replace drive belt and tensioner.

It was ok for a week and the noise is back again. Can you please suggest how I can deal this problem with dealer. The car is still under the warranty and it ran only 46K.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23351 posts
8286 upvotes
Toronto
take it back to dealer and this time, ask for the shop foreman and do a test drive with him and go from there.
Oct 15, 2008
219 posts
178 upvotes
canada
Go to a better dealership. Is this car leased?
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
188 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Elusivellama wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 10:02 am
Go to a better dealership. Is this car leased?
I tried two different dealers Endras/Park view (where i purchased), its owned.

when I was doing a road test with Endras technician he said the noise comes from the tire but Park view fixed gasket and the belt nothing helped
[OP]
Jun 24, 2016
188 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 9:42 am
take it back to dealer and this time, ask for the shop foreman and do a test drive with him and go from there.
I am going again tomorrow to Parkview and already requested foreman to do the test drive with me.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10519 posts
9714 upvotes
Oakville
Is this an old E46 320ix? What year? Either way, you're getting hosed by the dealer.
Go to a reliable shop like RMP Motors.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3023 posts
751 upvotes
Edmonton
Get a buddy and diagnose it yourself. Then get shop to fix as its warranty.

Hardest part of mechanics work is diagnosing as it takes a certain skill and type of person.

Jack up the vehicle. Put it in stands so all wheels are in the air. And get your buddy to "drive" while your there with a stethoscope
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
153 upvotes
York, ON
OP needs to come back with year of car. It could be F30 or G20 chassis. Technical questions are probably more appropriate on bimmerfest or f30.bimmerpost or g20.bimmerpost

Edit: any other symptoms? Engine hesitations or slippage?

N series engines for certain years can have engine bolts shear off due to over tightening at factory which is noticeable as the engine ages. This requires a rebore to remove broken bolt and engine oil flush. Vanos seal replacements are not uncommon, but that is usually associated with loss of low torque and hp. Check spark plugs and make sure not loose. Have you tried having someone rev the engine while hood is open to try to isolate the noise? It could be suspension rather than engine.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1673 posts
580 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I can see why you'd only lease one. Looks like anything outside warranty period, and even within, can be a nightmare.

Friend of mine's mother, way back, had the 4WD 3-series as a hand-me-down from him. As a 10-y.o. car, it was costing ~US$4k in maintenance annually.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6941 posts
3071 upvotes
Kootenays
thriftshopper wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 11:39 am
I can see why you'd only lease one. Looks like anything outside warranty period, and even within, can be a nightmare.

Friend of mine's mother, way back, had the 4WD 3-series as a hand-me-down from him. As a 10-y.o. car, it was costing ~US$4k in maintenance annually.
Yes, but the driving experience is so much better than a Toyota! Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7585 posts
673 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
If the dealer is jerking your chain and it’s under warranty I’d check with an Indy shop even if you have to pay a few bucks for diagnosis. Mike at lakeside motors off Kennedy rd In Scarborough has been around forever. I’d have a chat with him or his crew.

Good luck. This is why I’d only lease a new car. Dealer actually has some incentive to help you out. Otherwise buy slightly used and use the savings for an honest Indy.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Dec 15, 2015
534 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Post this on the bimmer forums not RFD. You know somewhere BWM techs, dealers and people like that float around who can actually help you.