Students

Has anybody applied for grad school in Europe?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2017 2:07 pm
Dec 20, 2015
169 posts
74 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Has anybody applied for grad school in Europe?

I was just wondering if European grad schools accept professional work Letters of Recommendation?

I've been browsing a few programs but all of them just say 2-3 Letters of Recommendation without much specifics... I'm hoping to study in France or Belgium, specializing in economics, finance or business.
5 replies
Nov 24, 2013
231 posts
54 upvotes
Isshoukenmei wrote: I was just wondering if European grad schools accept professional work Letters of Recommendation?

I've been browsing a few programs but all of them just say 2-3 Letters of Recommendation without much specifics... I'm hoping to study in France or Belgium, specializing in economics, finance or business.
I have. The application process is a bit more easy going than in Canada. In my experience, they wanted two reference letters and either an official or unofficial transcript, which could've been on my undergrad's letterhead or just a copy and pasted version from online. They weren't as strict as schools in Ontario.
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
93 upvotes
The application process and entrance requirements at most schools in Europe are a complete joke, in comparison to grad school admissions in Canada and the ivy league schools in the States. There is a reason that European schools are now being viewed as backdoor schools for a lot of Canadians to go get there law, medical, pharmacy, and dental degrees.
Dec 20, 2015
169 posts
74 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gregorich wrote: I have. The application process is a bit more easy going than in Canada. In my experience, they wanted two reference letters and either an official or unofficial transcript, which could've been on my undergrad's letterhead or just a copy and pasted version from online. They weren't as strict as schools in Ontario.
Oh cool! Did you apply with academic references or professional?
Nov 24, 2013
231 posts
54 upvotes
Isshoukenmei wrote: Oh cool! Did you apply with academic references or professional?
I think I used one of each. It usually depends on the program, but they're really not that picky. For the most part, universities outside of Canada and America are fairly easy going with their process. I remember emailing with one school and asking if they needed something (I can't remember what) and they basically said, "Meh, doesn't matter. We're happy either way."
Aug 22, 2013
21 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor
I hope you know that if you decide to move back to Canada and think your European degree will help or make you stand out, it won't. In fact, many Canadian employers are hesitant to consider those for non-Canadian/American credentials.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)