Art and Photography

Has anybody taken a Henry's Level One Class?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2008 6:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5014 posts
782 upvotes
Toronto

Has anybody taken a Henry's Level One Class?

What did you think? Was it worthwhile? I've read Peterson's Digital Photography, so understand concepts of Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, etc, though I'm not so confident with the camera itself. I'm worried that they will simply teach us what these are, and what controls them in the camera, and I already know what all the buttons mean. Do they go beyond this, into composition, color/white balance, etc.?
2 replies
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
milhaus wrote:
Sep 17th, 2008 5:42 pm
What did you think? Was it worthwhile? I've read Peterson's Digital Photography, so understand concepts of Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, etc, though I'm not so confident with the camera itself. I'm worried that they will simply teach us what these are, and what controls them in the camera, and I already know what all the buttons mean. Do they go beyond this, into composition, color/white balance, etc.?
Not sure. But if you want to learn more I suggest taking a look online at the following websites:

www.photo.net/learn <-- Lots of topics and tips.
www.strobist.blogspot.com <-- Tutorials for off camera flashing.
www.fredmiranda.com/forums <-- Forums where photographers share work.

Most learning can only be done through actually going out to take photos. I suggest you learn from others by going out to take photos with them. If you don't have any friends that are advanced and into photography check out www.tpmg.ca as they are a photographic group that goes out in Toronto.

All these websites are FREE and you'll probably learn more than taking a boring course. Good luck.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
sfu_engineer wrote:
Sep 17th, 2008 5:55 pm

All these websites are FREE and you'll probably learn more than taking a boring course. Good luck.
They're not that boring, I've sat in one before as a guest for free as I had a friend who worked there once at the Mississauga location.

The 1st class is the basics - so if the OP already knows the basics, he can skip the Level One classes.

They also do lighting and composition, as well to an extent studio environments. Some people are better at learning visually and hands on than to say, reading it over the net. Which ever works best for you I would say. And it is better when you have a accredited instructor teaching the course rather than trying to learn on your own I say.

I don't work there if that's what you're thinking. ;)

But - if you are looking for something more drawn out with critics in a real classroom environment, Humber College does offer part-time photography courses. Fees are similar to that of Henrys, up to $300 per course. The only thing is, you're required to take 2 Compulsory courses at $300 each to get to choose the electives.

http://calendardb.humber.ca/LIS/WebCale ... hotography

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)