Travel

Has anyone actually BOOKED with cruisecompete.com?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2009 11:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 5, 2005
192 posts
5 upvotes
Thornhill

Has anyone actually BOOKED with cruisecompete.com?

Hey hey fellow travelers!

Thanks to RFD i found the cruisecompete.com which is an awesome site btw, thanks again!!!

I was wondering if any of you actually booked with them, or just used them as a guideline for pricing.

So right now, im looking on going on the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas during the Christmas time, and been getting fairly consistent quotes (1147 taxes in). So i decided to get cruisecompete.com a try, and look and behold, i got a quote that is $877. Now this seems to good to be true, and i can't seem to find any reviews from this US travel agent (My Cruise Getaway).

What's your take on this? Site seems reliable, travel agent sounds professional on the phone, and according to cruisecompete.com they have over 100 positive reviews and zero negative ones.

So long story short, have any of you booked with cruisecompete.com and if so, would you say the travel agents they connect too are all reliable?

thanks again!!
13 replies
Feb 18, 2004
969 posts
251 upvotes
Victoria
Just checked one of my Cruises booked with Vacation to Go for Fri, Feb 5
7:00 pm 9 Night Mediterranean Cruise
Itinerary: Roundtrip Barcelona
Ship Name: Norwegian Jade
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Stateroom: K, Inside Stateroom GTY
Select different cruise
Paid $1413US with a bonus for $125 onboard credit.

cruisecompete.com $1625.98US with no onboard credit.

You might want to shop around!!!
Jul 5, 2003
640 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
I have booked my upcoming cruise with Cruises-N-More after I have obtained a quote through Cruisecompete.com. It was the lowest quotes that I have received and the service is not that bad.

Dickybird: when did you book your cruise? Cruise fares change sometimes within a day. The prices could have gone up since you have booked it. For example, I booked a cruise for December 5 to the W. Caribbean and paid USD $770 with $75 OBC for a balcony. However, the same cruise is now selling for over $2,000 for a balcony stateroom.
Feb 18, 2004
969 posts
251 upvotes
Victoria
Genia11 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2009 3:15 pm
I have booked my upcoming cruise with Cruises-N-More after I have obtained a quote through Cruisecompete.com. It was the lowest quotes that I have received and the service is not that bad.

Dickybird: when did you book your cruise? Cruise fares change sometimes within a day. The prices could have gone up since you have booked it. For example, I booked a cruise for December 5 to the W. Caribbean and paid USD $770 with $75 OBC for a balcony. However, the same cruise is now selling for over $2,000 for a balcony stateroom.
Price is still the same at Vacations to Go although i forgot to post I received a past passenger rate (-$100), just checked.
Who do you Cruise with Dec 5th?
Reason I asked is because we also booked Princesss for Nov28 and HOL Eurodam Dec 5 and both Caribbean.
Aug 11, 2008
27 posts
1 upvote
Never had any problem with CruiseCompete.

2-3 times Cruise-n-more were the low cost package and I was happy with the service.

Mike
[OP]
Apr 5, 2005
192 posts
5 upvotes
Thornhill
Thanks for all your input guys.

So i tried booking with them... will get confirmation and everything tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

But i did check with Royal Caribbean beforehand it did seem legit. It was just weird that they were offering so cheap. We got the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas for $877 taxes and all in! The rest of the places are offering $1,147 or more.

But I did speak with Cruisecompete (actual to the CEO Bob himself) and he vouched for that travel agent. So we'll see what happens!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2008
2455 posts
12535 upvotes
Mississauga
Vacations2Go is my "guideline" site -- I always visit them first to get an idea of what cheap-ish itineraries are out there and what the "typical" discount price should be. Unfortunately I've never actually booked through them, as they never actually have the lowest price for me once their taxes and fees are factored in.

I use CruiseCompete once I know which itinerary I actually want. Of the agents who reply, the cheapest offers are usually from Cruises-N-More and BestPriceCruises and I have in fact booked with them on my last three cruises. So in that sense CruiseCompete has been reliable, but then these are two of their bigger suppliers and not one of the smaller outfits that I assume you're concerned about.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6189 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto
dickybird wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2009 2:10 pm
Just checked one of my Cruises booked with Vacation to Go for Fri, Feb 5
7:00 pm 9 Night Mediterranean Cruise
Itinerary: Roundtrip Barcelona
Ship Name: Norwegian Jade
Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
Stateroom: K, Inside Stateroom GTY
Select different cruise
Paid $1413US with a bonus for $125 onboard credit.

cruisecompete.com $1625.98US with no onboard credit.

You might want to shop around!!!
For people who shop around, you'll almost always get better pricing than vacation to go. Period.

You don't book with cruisecompete.com. You go get quotes from TAs through them, then you can decide if you want to book from those TAs. Often after contacting the TAs, they might still be able to go lower or throw something else in.

Most cruise lines do NOT allow TAs to advertise lower rate than what they publicly advertise themselves. So vacation to go is just one of the hundreds of TAs you can get PUBLIC cruise rate for.

By contacting the TAs directly, then can quote you lower, PRIVATE, rates.

I've used cruisecompete many times, no problem. Vacation to go, NEVER gave better rates.
Mar 1, 2008
601 posts
27 upvotes
I'm looking at RC Oasis of the Seas for Feb. the prices look good from what was advertised. Just awaiting the quote for a balcony cabin.
Oct 22, 2006
10 posts
1 upvote
Survivor2008 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 6:08 pm
I'm looking at RC Oasis of the Seas for Feb. the prices look good from what was advertised. Just awaiting the quote for a balcony cabin.
Just remember that you will not be covered by TICO when buying from US agency - make sure you have a good travel protection in case things go wrong.

Some vendors on CruiseCompete have hidden charges: they give a low cryuse price, but then charge you every time you call them, some have booking or cancellation fees. Read the agency reviews before giving them your credit card.

Try to take a quote to a local agent and negotiate
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6189 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto
harlab wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 10:55 pm
Just remember that you will not be covered by TICO when buying from US agency - make sure you have a good travel protection in case things go wrong.

Some vendors on CruiseCompete have hidden charges: they give a low cryuse price, but then charge you every time you call them, some have booking or cancellation fees. Read the agency reviews before giving them your credit card.

Try to take a quote to a local agent and negotiate
As long as when you make any payment, it is paid to the cruiseline, not the TA, you'll be fine.

It's not just TAs from cruisecompete, but any TA, that can have charges after making the booking for you. They give discounted price, and expect to provide discounted/less service. Just about anyone would charge for cancellation or charges, a lot of that is from the cruiseline.

I had tried a local shop, Willowdalecruisecenter. They are very response when you are inquiring and ready to make payment. But after you make payment they are NOT response at all. I'm trying to chase them for aeroplan points they owe from a cruise we've taken in Aug.
Mar 1, 2008
601 posts
27 upvotes
So I think I got a pretty good deal on a Balcony Oceanview Cabin ($1166.78 usd) which converts to $1232.32 Cdn. All the other rates were 100-$300 higher. I've put a hold on it till tomorrow at 7pm what are the things I need to do before giving them my credit card# what kind of insuranance do i get?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6189 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto
Survivor2008 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2009 4:22 pm
So I think I got a pretty good deal on a Balcony Oceanview Cabin ($1166.78 usd) which converts to $1232.32 Cdn. All the other rates were 100-$300 higher. I've put a hold on it till tomorrow at 7pm what are the things I need to do before giving them my credit card# what kind of insuranance do i get?
Ask them:
* Is the charge payable to the cruiseline (or to them)? Better be to the cruiseline, otherwise don't pay to them.

* What charges do they have in case of changes or cancellations. Also if the price goes down, what do they do? There may be a charge, for them do contact the cruiseline to get a lower rate or OBC for you.

* Let them know if they do a good job for you, you are sharing this info with others, and they may get more business.
Mar 1, 2008
601 posts
27 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
Nov 12th, 2009 5:13 pm
Ask them:
* Is the charge payable to the cruiseline (or to them)? Better be to the cruiseline, otherwise don't pay to them.

* What charges do they have in case of changes or cancellations. Also if the price goes down, what do they do? There may be a charge, for them do contact the cruiseline to get a lower rate or OBC for you.

* Let them know if they do a good job for you, you are sharing this info with others, and they may get more business.
thx so much! we are booked!
× < >