Careers

Has anyone applied to CSIS for intelligence Officer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2015 12:13 am
Tags:
None
May 7, 2013
1 posts
Let's bump this thread instead of creating a new one ... here is what I know.

The recruitment process is the worst process ever !
First, you have to ship all these documents :
1- application for employment completed (3 copies)
2- resume (3 copies)
3- personnel screening (easy) : http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/330-23-eng.pdf
4- security clearance form (not fun) : http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/330-60-eng.pdf (5 copies!)
5- drivers licence (2 photocopies)
6- birth certificate (2 photocopies)
7- citizenship certificate (if born outside Canada)
8- marriage certificate (if applicable) (2 photocopies)
9- divorce or separation documents (if applicable) (2 photocopies)
10- education documents for highest level of education, as well as any documents supporting special qualifications (2 photocopies)
11- official transcripts forwarded directly to them by the post-secondary institutions attended ($)
12- 3 recent reference letters signed, to be provided by references, who are not family (3 copies) ... can't be the same people as on form 330-60 (see step 4)
13- abuse or illegal substance form signed
14- 6 recent & identical photographs : face only

The step 4 is the worst.
And this is just the start.

You will also have many interviews-tests, I might forget some :
0- phone interview : why are you interested in working for SCRS, etc.
1- technical interview : in fact it's not technical at all, the only technical element is that you have to tell them exactly how many years you worked on each technology, the rest is classic blablabla ...
2- admissibility interview : not funny again, they ask you very personal questions like :
- drug use : in depth, yes even as teenager, even drinking use
- internet use : what kind of website, how long each day
- family stuff : behavior, history
- small offenses : stealing stuff, drunk driving
3- 1000 questions true-false (3 hours) : stupid stuff like from "sometimes, I hear voices" to "I like science books" and "I like to play pranks to animals" ...
I think they try to categorize people as either : detail oriented, goal oriented, people oriented, etc.
See http://www.colorfulleadership.info/pape ... adrant.htm
They also take your finger prints.
4- psycho interview : using step 3 answers + asking the same questions as step 2 (yeah again!) ...
Again, they insist on having complete answers, they want to know every damn thing you stole in your life, even as a kid.
They ask you questions like : what does your family (or friends ) reproach you (sometimes) ... what they would like you to improve ...
5- security interview
6- polygraph (lie detector)

Here are the key elements about the process :
- at any time during the process, they can decide you don't fit
- they are 2 parts in the process, the security clearance and the hiring process, but they don't clearly tell you which interview is for which process
- you are only a number, they have many candidates
- they don't seem to care about your time and confidentiality :
- instead of making copies themselves, they ask you to do it ... 5 copies ... seriously ?
- instead of bringing you once for one day, each interview is on a different week
- instead of evaluating your skills first, they start the security process early, so you do both even if not required in the end ...
- they ask you for everything you did "bad" in your life, imagine the worst interview questions, they ask them all
- from the start, they ask you to tell the truth (lie detector at the end) and to answer every damn personal question, so even if you are not chosen at the end, you gave a lot of information for nothing
to put you at ease, they tell you nobody is perfect

I'm not sure of the perfect way to pass all these steps but here are few thoughts :
- don't start this process if you are not highly motivated
- don't expect too much from this process

- let's hope you were a perfect teenager (a nerd) and that you are still pretty boring (but not too much because they seem to like people-oriented and sportsmen candidates)
- otherwise, don't be afraid to lie, but be constant, take notes because they do and you will forget what you said weeks ago, remember that they can't verify 99% of your answers and that the lie detector is just a stupid tool)
- even if hard, try to be as honest as possible while saying as little as possible
- always try to look as perfect as possible even if they ask you so much stuff
- try to look balanced so they can't categorize you
Oct 13, 2011
188 posts
31 upvotes
Montr
You know that you are not supposed to disclose all this information...you have signed a confidentiality agreement regarding the selection process. You could be sue for disclosing all that stuff over the web...just saying...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1840 posts
330 upvotes
nikita4 wrote:
May 8th, 2013 9:35 pm
You know that you are not supposed to disclose all this information...you have signed a confidentiality agreement regarding the selection process. You could be sue for disclosing all that stuff over the web...just saying...
With this being his 1st post, sounds like a disgruntled applicant who got rejected.
Jan 9, 2011
249 posts
78 upvotes
Montreal, QC
markom wrote:
May 9th, 2013 12:11 am
With this being his 1st post, sounds like a disgruntled applicant who got rejected.
The system works!!!
Apr 13, 2010
322 posts
16 upvotes
I can also verify what mastercraft said I have heard pretty much the same story from others. I have also heard that its hard to get in if you weren't born in Canada or your mother/father wasn't born in Canada, they will dig deep even ask you stuff about your family's history in your country.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1035 posts
152 upvotes
Yeah but you have to move to Ottawa. Also they will give you a lie detector test, so when they ask you if you've EVER smoked weed, don't lie about it haha

I had no problems with the process, but it was just SUPER SLOW, which is why I didn't finish it. But in the first interview the lady told me that the process would be up to a year so this wasn't a surprise to me.

If it fits your timeline, go for it. It's not hard from a technical perspective. It's mostly just background checks and character checks to make sure you are trustworthy and think clearly. There's no preparation needed for these things so I don't consider it to be a hard process.

To be honest, if you're a Canadian who has lived here for many years and have a clean background, it's probably an easier job to get than others requiring the same skills/experience because you don't have to compete with a bunch of immigrants. If you're a fresh citizen, they focused so much on background that my feeling is you have no chance.

Also a tip ... they send you emails in english and french. And if you use gmail and maybe other providers, emails in multiple languages get tossed to spam. So you might want to enable the domain :)
Apr 28, 2012
632 posts
164 upvotes
QC
BoogieWilliams wrote:
May 9th, 2013 1:41 am
I can also verify what mastercraft said I have heard pretty much the same story from others. I have also heard that its hard to get in if you weren't born in Canada or your mother/father wasn't born in Canada, they will dig deep even ask you stuff about your family's history in your country.
Isn't that discriminatory ?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1035 posts
152 upvotes
Flitox wrote:
May 9th, 2013 9:24 am
Isn't that discriminatory ?
not when it comes to national security :P
Dec 30, 1969
1 posts
Trail, BC
seems pretty straight forward.

What actually happens at "5- security interview" and how long is "6- polygraph (lie detector)"

and what is after 6? more interviews and tests?
Dec 25, 2013
128 posts
12 upvotes
Burnaby
grandg wrote:
Jan 9th, 2015 1:51 am
seems pretty straight forward.

What actually happens at "5- security interview" and how long is "6- polygraph (lie detector)"

and what is after 6? more interviews and tests?
Panel Interviews, Role play, etc.

These government jobs have so many levels of interviews. If it's anything like the CBSA, expect to have 10 rounds of interviews.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1311 posts
491 upvotes
Just a small tip to everyone posting here thinking they're helping others apply and "make it through the process"; Please stop? Considering the last step of the process involves questions such as: "Have you ever researched how to pass this process, what is involves or how to cheat it", this would be the LAST thread I would want to read if I wish to end up with a career at CSIS or CSEC.

Strongly suggest you guys knock it off and let people go through the system as it was intended and may the best candidate succeed.
Sep 23, 2011
609 posts
324 upvotes
LAVAL
Im watching Homeland and it made me want to work for the CSIS lmao. Imagine infiltrating ISIS, befriend with their leader and behead him all of a sudden, take his head and run to your plane and bring the head to Harper and Obama.
Dec 15, 2011
104 posts
48 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone applying to a job like this is probably doing it because of more deeply personal reasons than money... That said, is there any data out there on salaries at CSEC and CSIS just to satiate my curiousity?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2498 posts
37 upvotes
Milton
Lemig0s wrote:
Jan 12th, 2015 11:29 pm
Im watching Homeland and it made me want to work for the CSIS lmao. Imagine infiltrating ISIS, befriend with their leader and behead him all of a sudden, take his head and run to your plane and bring the head to Harper and Obama.
Oh ya that's exactly what you'd do.....lol
Your source for training, nutrition, supplement advice!
× < >