Travel

Has anyone crossed into the US since marijuana legalization?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2019 11:20 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5144 posts
1192 upvotes
Ottawa

Has anyone crossed into the US since marijuana legalization?

I'm curious to hear from anyone who's going through US customs (land or air) since marijuana legalization.

Were you asked about previous marijuana usage? If so was it asked immediately (i.e. are they asking everyone) or was it because they stopped you for a particular reason and did secondary questioning. Do they appear to care about prior usage?
91 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34315 posts
8141 upvotes
Ottawa
Went through the other day. No questions from the American agents, just normal, are you Canadian, where you going, how long you staying etc.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Oct 6, 2008
160 posts
113 upvotes
Winnipeg
Crossed through land border crossing yesterday. No questions about pot. Was with wife and toddler though, so probably didn't fit the profile they're looking for.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4087 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jtu85 wrote: Crossed through land border crossing yesterday. No questions about pot. Was with wife and toddler though, so probably didn't fit the profile they're looking for.
Why not? Being married and having kids doesn't have anything to do with whether someone smokes weed.
Oct 6, 2008
160 posts
113 upvotes
Winnipeg
Chickinvic wrote: Why not? Being married and having kids doesn't have anything to do with whether someone smokes weed.
I'm not saying that it does. I'm just saying that the border typically has a profile they're on the lookout for and I don't think mine was it.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
I am in the trusted travelers program so it's probably a lot easier for me
but I think you're totally overthinking this...just don't show up high or have that smell on you and you'll be fine
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31110 posts
16855 upvotes
Ottawa
Several colleagues left yesterday for a work trip and during our conference call this afternoon, they didn't mention anything out of the ordinary (HR sent a travel advisory about this).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8373 posts
2238 upvotes
Mississauga
The world is not going to end because weed is legal in Canada. The legal date would of meant nothing other than all the newspaper articles and news shows complaining about the Goverment not being ready.
Oct 21, 2018
5 posts
No issues crossing at cornwall/watertown NY. Seemed bit quicker than normal. Kinda hippy looking and no issues at all.
Jun 7, 2007
43 posts
2 upvotes
There were no additional questions on the way to USA. However, on the way back, in Toronto Pearson, self-service kiosk asked me if I am currently carrying/using any weed.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1285 posts
457 upvotes
My questioning has gone way down since Nexus - last two times in fact there were no questions at all - pull up to the window and officer says 'you're all set'... Not a user in any case
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5144 posts
1192 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the responses. When legalization first passed legislation, there were reports in the news that US Customs would question everyone about marijuana and could / would deny entry to anyone with any previous use (not just current / recent).
Jtu85 wrote: Crossed through land border crossing yesterday. No questions about pot. Was with wife and toddler though, so probably didn't fit the profile they're looking for.
Although I do think they profile, they can / do stop anyone who doesn't fit an apparent profile; years ago, my wife, 3 yrd old son and I were stopped entering the US in an RV on the way to Florida. They went through everything in the RV and questioned us separately for over an hour. We're both white, late 30s at the time, I'm a Federal Gov IT employee, she's mostly a stay-at-home mom but also works part-time as a real-estate agent. I'm not sure why they stopped us or why we were so interesting (given the way they searched us, I think they suspected we were smuggling something (we weren't)) but eventually they let us go and we completed our trip. Ironically enough (and I would never do this), they let us go after my wife got angry that we were being detained for no reason - she didn't exactly yell at them but was certainly visibly annoyed about the situation and didn't hide that.

I do have to admit that I do not do well with authority (I basically look nervous and guilty even if I haven't done anything wrong) and I pretty much get questioned every time I cross into Canada or the US.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34315 posts
8141 upvotes
Ottawa
twitchyzero wrote: I am in the trusted travelers program so it's probably a lot easier for me
but I think you're totally overthinking this...just don't show up high or have that smell on you and you'll be fine
Psychopathetic wrote: My questioning has gone way down since Nexus - last two times in fact there were no questions at all - pull up to the window and officer says 'you're all set'... Not a user in any case
Interesting observation.
What if you are a Nexus holder and do use cannabis and get dinged? You would lose your Nexus and be flagged or even banned? Should Nexus users lie more diligently? LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11762 posts
9020 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Used to work for Canada Customs...

Although I have no concrete stories to share as this just went into effect last week

I would think that the folks most being questioned about Weed in this first week right now by US CBP is American Citizens returning to the USA from Canada, especially anyone who is making short day trips across the border.

Pot is still a federal offence in America... even if one resides in a Pot Friendly State

We will no doubt hear more about Canadians and their experiences at the border as the days & weeks go on.
Oct 6, 2008
160 posts
113 upvotes
Winnipeg
michelb wrote: Thanks for the responses. When legalization first passed legislation, there were reports in the news that US Customs would question everyone about marijuana and could / would deny entry to anyone with any previous use (not just current / recent).

Although I do think they profile, they can / do stop anyone who doesn't fit an apparent profile; years ago, my wife, 3 yrd old son and I were stopped entering the US in an RV on the way to Florida. They went through everything in the RV and questioned us separately for over an hour. We're both white, late 30s at the time, I'm a Federal Gov IT employee, she's mostly a stay-at-home mom but also works part-time as a real-estate agent. I'm not sure why they stopped us or why we were so interesting (given the way they searched us, I think they suspected we were smuggling something (we weren't)) but eventually they let us go and we completed our trip. Ironically enough (and I would never do this), they let us go after my wife got angry that we were being detained for no reason - she didn't exactly yell at them but was certainly visibly annoyed about the situation and didn't hide that.

I do have to admit that I do not do well with authority (I basically look nervous and guilty even if I haven't done anything wrong) and I pretty much get questioned every time I cross into Canada or the US.
First of all, also Federal Gov IT employee, mid thirties, wife and 3 year old daughter at time of crossing lol.

As to your experience going to secondary, I have also had this happen to me in the past on different trips. I believe there is a random selection to send people to Secondary on top of the times they have suspicions about a traveler. I believe I've gone to secondary inspection 2 or 3 times in my life. Not the most pleasant experience but we had nothing to hide so the only cost to us was time.