Careers

Has anyone done 2 CPA PEP Modules together in one term?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2015 3:30 pm
Nov 3, 2014
21 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Has anyone done 2 CPA PEP Modules together in one term?

Since I am completely free and only work part time, I was planning to do the Core 1 and 2 modules in Winter 2016 and the Electives 1 and 2 in the spring. Is that a good idea?
15 replies
Apr 25, 2011
54 posts
3 upvotes
Ajax
Bad idea. Do Core 1 plus Assurance (if elected assurance) together as they overlap A LOT. It's virtually the same material with minor differences (ie tax in Core 1).
Nov 3, 2014
21 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
CuteThief wrote: Bad idea. Do Core 1 plus Assurance (if elected assurance) together as they overlap A LOT. It's virtually the same material with minor differences (ie tax in Core 1).
As I don't want to get into Public Accounting, I was planning to take Performance Management and Finance as my electives. Do you know if any of the Core 1 and 2 modules are similar to these 2 electives?

Thanks
May 24, 2007
552 posts
213 upvotes
find a job b4 you do pep. meanwhile volunteer network and enjoy life. i dont recommend rushing into things. finishing all the courses doesnt give you much of an advantage comparing to your peers
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
Pretty sure you must do the modules in the order they are given, core 1,2,they elective 1,2
Apr 25, 2011
54 posts
3 upvotes
Ajax
Dynasty12345 wrote: Pretty sure you must do the modules in the order they are given, core 1,2,they elective 1,2
Wrong. Any order is OK. Unless they changed it in the last few months because that's when I wrote it.

Sipie, I take back what I said. In your case PM and finance have a few topics in common so it's not a bad idea. Honestly, any combination works. Looking back at PEP retrospectively, it was a joke. I know people who left like 50% of Core 2 blank (I left like 30% blank) and still passed. So don't stress too much!
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
CuteThief wrote: Wrong. Any order is OK. Unless they changed it in the last few months because that's when I wrote it.

Sipie, I take back what I said. In your case PM and finance have a few topics in common so it's not a bad idea. Honestly, any combination works. Looking back at PEP retrospectively, it was a joke. I know people who left like 50% of Core 2 blank (I left like 30% blank) and still passed. So don't stress too much!
Lol I don't know when you took them because the above poster is not wrong. Core 1 and 2 must be taken in order as well as capstone 1 and 2. The only ones you could take at the same time or in any order are the electives
Apr 25, 2011
54 posts
3 upvotes
Ajax
4 months ago. Any order is fine. Capstones are not modules. Capstones can only be taken after the modules are done. The modules you can take in any order you please.
Nov 26, 2013
801 posts
729 upvotes
Winnipeg
CuteThief wrote: 4 months ago. Any order is fine. Capstones are not modules. Capstones can only be taken after the modules are done. The modules you can take in any order you please.
No, still wrong. You must take Core 1 first, then Core 2. Only when those two are completed, you may take your elective modules. I don't know where you got this misinformation, but that's the way it's been since the beginning.
Apr 25, 2011
54 posts
3 upvotes
Ajax
I took core 2 and tax together then core 1 and then assurance last - that's where I got the info from. As a matter of fact, if you are in Ontario you had to take it not in order because they offered core 2 and tax first followed by other modules. Most people took it this way at my firm. So yeah most people assume that they must be taken in order but they don't have to be. One note though: I challenged them instead of taking the full module. Maybe people that take the full thing are subject to stricter rules.
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
CuteThief wrote: I took core 2 and tax together then core 1 and then assurance last - that's where I got the info from. As a matter of fact, if you are in Ontario you had to take it not in order because they offered core 2 and tax first followed by other modules. Most people took it this way at my firm. So yeah most people assume that they must be taken in order but they don't have to be. One note though: I challenged them instead of taking the full module. Maybe people that take the full thing are subject to stricter rules.
Yes that would be why because you challenged them. We aren't just assuming. It won't physically allow you to register until you've completed the prior one as far as core 1 and 2 go. Ontario has always been a bit of an oddball with stuff. Every other province is the same but Ontario is a bit off
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
CuteThief wrote: I took core 2 and tax together then core 1 and then assurance last - that's where I got the info from. As a matter of fact, if you are in Ontario you had to take it not in order because they offered core 2 and tax first followed by other modules. Most people took it this way at my firm. So yeah most people assume that they must be taken in order but they don't have to be. One note though: I challenged them instead of taking the full module. Maybe people that take the full thing are subject to stricter rules.
To sum up we are all right. I know friends who took challenge exams in any order. So you're right in that sense.

But for full modules it's in order core 1,2 and electives are any order.

After those 4 are done (full module or challenge) then capstone are 1 and 2 in order.

So in terms of difficulty of exam did you find it review of university work? Anything major that was hard/different from university exam?

Those who took the modules are they literally d2l online readings + weekly assignment? Did you find it took a lot of time each week to do readings and the assignments on top of work? My work is getting densmore stuff as well so I'll see how much content is there to do per week
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
Dynasty12345 wrote: To sum up we are all right. I know friends who took challenge exams in any order. So you're right in that sense.

But for full modules it's in order core 1,2 and electives are any order.

After those 4 are done (full module or challenge) then capstone are 1 and 2 in order.

So in terms of difficulty of exam did you find it review of university work? Anything major that was hard/different from university exam?

Those who took the modules are they literally d2l online readings + weekly assignment? Did you find it took a lot of time each week to do readings and the assignments on top of work? My work is getting densmore stuff as well so I'll see how much content is there to do per week
Core 1 and 2 are completely review from university, nothing new at all. It's mostly
Multiple choice which is different from uni for me anyway. I didn't bother doing any of the readings and barely did the assignments but yes if you put a lot of work into it there is not a lot of time outside of work to get it all done.i found the module assignments and readings useless personally and I've taken 1 and 2 at this point.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
AshleyA190 wrote: Core 1 and 2 are completely review from university, nothing new at all. It's mostly
Multiple choice which is different from uni for me anyway. I didn't bother doing any of the readings and barely did the assignments but yes if you put a lot of work into it there is not a lot of time outside of work to get it all done.i found the module assignments and readings useless personally and I've taken 1 and 2 at this point.
Awesome thanks for the response. By any means are you usually top of your class in university?

I thought the exams were case based.

I think they recommend 15hours per week working on readings and assignments. How much time for you spend?

Also does anyone know how the relative making works? What % of people fail? 10-20%?
Jan 31, 2017
74 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
Dynasty12345 wrote: Awesome thanks for the response. By any means are you usually top of your class in university?

I thought the exams were case based.

I think they recommend 15hours per week working on readings and assignments. How much time for you spend?

Also does anyone know how the relative making works? What % of people fail? 10-20%?

Well that's a personal question but I was definitely above average. I spent maybe 10 hours a week and no the exams are not case based. There is 1 case in core 1 and 2 and the rest is multiple choice. The electives are more case based. They don't tell you how they mark or what % usually pass
Apr 29, 2006
429 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
sipe0910 wrote: Since I am completely free and only work part time, I was planning to do the Core 1 and 2 modules in Winter 2016 and the Electives 1 and 2 in the spring. Is that a good idea?
Sorry to rehash an old thread (old-ish but not that old) but I noticed OP is a PREP student.

As a PREP student, you MUST take the modules in order and they cannot be taken concurrently.

If you are a recent graduate with the required credit hours, this is not as much of an issue but I believe these things will start to change.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)