Shopping Discussion

Has anyone else noticed that everything you buy from USA now has duties and taxes on it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2019 8:37 am
[OP]
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
63 upvotes

Has anyone else noticed that everything you buy from USA now has duties and taxes on it?

I odnt know if this has anything to do with trump but prior like a few years ago i would buy stuff from ebay and other american sites, and almost never have to pay taxes or duties or any of that on it, even if it was over the value of $20 or whatever.

Now, if something is even a few dollars over the limit you get taxed and it gets held up at customs... has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
does it have to do with tha nafta exit?
46 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18632 posts
2033 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Not Trump, that's the shipping companies. Canada Post used to be very liberal when applying duties/tax charges, I don't think they are any longer and apply the appropriate fees across the board.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
63 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 7:03 am
Not Trump, that's the shipping companies. Canada Post used to be very liberal when applying duties/tax charges, I don't think they are any longer and apply the appropriate fees across the board.
yeah ur right canada post was always very liberal .what made them change?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18632 posts
2033 upvotes
Niagara Falls
jimmysack wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 7:11 am
yeah ur right canada post was always very liberal .what made them change?
I don't know the real answer but if I suspect it had something to do with pressure from Canadian retailers complaining to Government officials.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
4691 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
Could be a sort of retaliation for the 'trade war'. IF Canada post was letting things slide that used to keep prices artificially low which would entice people to buy from U.S..
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4519 posts
3598 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 7:00 am
I odnt know if this has anything to do with trump but prior like a few years ago i would buy stuff from ebay and other american sites, and almost never have to pay taxes or duties or any of that on it, even if it was over the value of $20 or whatever.

Now, if something is even a few dollars over the limit you get taxed and it gets held up at customs... has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
Can't say I've noticed..... Quite the opposite actually. I just had a 400$ package from Japan slip thru Canada Post without any taxes. Just had a leather Rolex watch strap come from the US as well.

I've always gotten nailed in the past... And I've heard of people buying from eBay US and not getting dinged, but not me lol.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
63 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 8:26 am
Can't say I've noticed..... Quite the opposite actually. I just had a 400$ package from Japan slip thru Canada Post without any taxes. Just had a leather Rolex watch strap come from the US as well.

I've always gotten nailed in the past... And I've heard of people buying from eBay US and not getting dinged, but not me lol.
i just ordered a pair of $69.99 shoes and i got dinged on them for the customs/taxes. and had to go release them from customs by paying the duties.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1527 posts
542 upvotes
London
jimmysack wrote:
Be clear on what you are actually paying for.
Duties, taxes, shipping, brokerage charges are all different items.
People like to lump them together and often mis-label them.

In your case, I suspect you are paying taxes and brokerage, but not duty.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
63 upvotes
arisk wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 8:46 am
Be clear on what you are actually paying for.
Duties, taxes, shipping, brokerage charges are all different items.
People like to lump them together and often mis-label them.

In your case, I suspect you are paying taxes and brokerage, but not duty.
i never pay brokerage. i always self clear
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9343 posts
1098 upvotes
Not me. I ordered a heavy $220 wedding album from New York and it managed to clear customs and everything without any extra duties or taxes.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14024 posts
4014 upvotes
Here 'n There
jimmysack wrote:

Too many people cheating on income taxes so gov't had to be less liberal with those fees...
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3937 posts
228 upvotes
I noticed lately that on ebay they now have an International Shipping fee of about $150 on top of an average shipping fee of $50 on some music gear I was looking at. Even if the item was about $200. I looked more into it and almost all listings now have this, even if they are about 50 km away. I never seen these fees 6 months ago. Totally kills any deal buying from there. I can only imagine how it is to Sell something now. The good times are over.
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Sep 1, 2013
707 posts
268 upvotes
Mississauga
Can't say I've noticed, either. I regularly get parcels from the US, and occasionally from Europe or Japan, with declared values ranging from 50 up to a few hundred dollars. In the last year, Canada customs has hit me with import taxes a total of once.

If you're regularly receiving parcels via a private courier, then you'll end up paying every time, but I find Canada Post to still be quite lenient. Actually enforcing the $20 de minimis results in a loss overall for the government, so there's never been much inventive to do so.
Feb 13, 2015
988 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is why I never buy anything from ebay that's from the US or from the US in general. I'm not paying import charges and unrealistic shipping prices.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1371 posts
259 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 2:31 pm
This is why I never buy anything from ebay that's from the US or from the US in general. I'm not paying import charges and unrealistic shipping prices.
I buy everything on ebay lol i just make sure i dont ship through their global shipping program and that the seller ship USPS and once it comes through customs to canada post to my door its pretty good, mind you there only.like 50.00 to.150.00 items. Tons of money to be saved shopping in the US ( oem 2012 mustang o2 sensor from ford 139.99 plus tax or bought from ebay for 29.99 US and 11.00 US to ship came up to 52.00 CAD to my door.) Dont ship through global shipping program or you have to pay import charges on top of shipping.