Travel

Has anyone ever applied for Schengen visa from France?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 3:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 23, 2017
686 posts
227 upvotes

Has anyone ever applied for Schengen visa from France?

My wife needs a schengen visa (Canadian PR, Philippines passport) for our trip to France/Italy. We applied on August 6th and have yet to hear anything back about it. We have only 2 weeks until we are supposed to fly and we have spent almost $6000 in flights/hotels/activities ect and will lose it all if we do not get the visa in time.

We applied at the Toronto VFS office and they told us it will be 3-4 weeks. I have called them multiple times but they say that it is in process and that it is out of their hands because they are just the middle man. There is no way of contacting the consulate in Montreal, where it is now. They have her passport and we are very worried we will not get it in time. We had way more then the requirements and see no problem with the application.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can comment on the processing time? We have friends that have received theirs in one week and another in two weeks. We are worried.
Got that Zoomer account!
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3946 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
everyone's processing times are different. it's really out of their hands after they send it out. you just have to pray that it comes on time.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Dec 26, 2003
285 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
For schengan visa it's always faster and easier to go thru Netherland. Way better than applying thru French embassy
[OP]
May 23, 2017
686 posts
227 upvotes
well from the reviews that I unfortunately didnt see before, we have come to the fact that we are probably not going at this point. We feel like we have been robbed of our money. I applied the day that was exactly 3 months before the travel date, as stated that you cant apply before then. We waited almost a month for the appointment and now almost 2 months for the visa. Like how are you supposed to get the visa?!?! we followed the rules to the day and we still wont have it in time. This is for our honeymoon and we are just devastated.
Got that Zoomer account!
Jan 8, 2009
675 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
Call the Montreal Consulate - Visas for France: contact + 1 613 927 92 66 at the opening of the offices

You can also try emailing them using this form: https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... J3Ti_Tv1qw

I would suggest doing both.

I would call several times. If the person you speak to can't help you, politely ask who can. Keep escalating (politely) until you get some help. Emphasize that this is your honeymoon, emphasize that you followed the rules. But be polite and keep asking for help. You might still be able to pull it off.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
686 posts
227 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 1:22 pm
Call the Montreal Consulate - Visas for France: contact + 1 613 927 92 66 at the opening of the offices

You can also try emailing them using this form: https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... J3Ti_Tv1qw

I would suggest doing both.

I would call several times. If the person you speak to can't help you, politely ask who can. Keep escalating (politely) until you get some help. Emphasize that this is your honeymoon, emphasize that you followed the rules. But be polite and keep asking for help. You might still be able to pull it off.
thanks I have previously done this. It takes them almost 3 weeks to respond to the email and they tell me nothing except that it is in process. The VFS office is completely useless. They just say either wait or withdraw your application, that its not their problem as they are just the middle man. they take zero responsibility.
Got that Zoomer account!
Jan 8, 2009
675 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
Which did you contact? The VFS service or the actual consulate in Montreal? The info I gave you was for the actual consulate in Montreal.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
686 posts
227 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 4:47 pm
Which did you contact? The VFS service or the actual consulate in Montreal? The info I gave you was for the actual consulate in Montreal.
I contacted the consulate as well, they said that the visa department is a completely seperate department and they cannot give any info on those applications.
Got that Zoomer account!
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8335 posts
1789 upvotes
Just like with any Visa's it's up to you to make sure you have the required paperwork and that you plan your trip only AFTER you got the Visa in hand.

If I want to go to Russia and I buy my flight tickets before having the visa in hand, only me is to blame.

Also, you can probably thank Merkel for the delay in the Schengen visa, as they are probably swamped with all the refugee claims. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 3x as long as what they claim online.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3946 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 12:49 pm
well from the reviews that I unfortunately didnt see before, we have come to the fact that we are probably not going at this point. We feel like we have been robbed of our money. I applied the day that was exactly 3 months before the travel date, as stated that you cant apply before then. We waited almost a month for the appointment and now almost 2 months for the visa. Like how are you supposed to get the visa?!?! we followed the rules to the day and we still wont have it in time. This is for our honeymoon and we are just devastated.
if everything is good, it should arrive before the travel date. they know the travel dates and will get it to you before then. there must be something wrong with the application or something happened along then way. best to keep calling and get the answers.

2 months should be enough time for process. are you sure they didn't lose it?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3946 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
bobby wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 12:25 pm
For schengan visa it's always faster and easier to go thru Netherland. Way better than applying thru French embassy
you know you can't just apply to any embassy right.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
686 posts
227 upvotes
marktang wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 7:23 pm
if everything is good, it should arrive before the travel date. they know the travel dates and will get it to you before then. there must be something wrong with the application or something happened along then way. best to keep calling and get the answers.

2 months should be enough time for process. are you sure they didn't lose it?
There are others that have applied at the same time who still have not got theirs. they say on the website now that there is a processing time of 30 business days, before it said 14 business days. The application is 100% perfect, we have WAY more then the requirements.

@Messerschmitt for this type of visa you have to prove that you have 100% booked return flights and hotels. There is no other way to do this then to book the flights/hotel BEFORE you get the visa. If you can show me a service that will make a flight confirmation and hold the tickets in my name without payment for over 2 months, by all means point it out to me...
Got that Zoomer account!
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8335 posts
1789 upvotes
Sep 16th, 2018 9:14 pm
There are others that have applied at the same time who still have not got theirs. they say on the website now that there is a processing time of 30 business days, before it said 14 business days. The application is 100% perfect, we have WAY more then the requirements.

@Messerschmitt for this type of visa you have to prove that you have 100% booked return flights and hotels. There is no other way to do this then to book the flights/hotel BEFORE you get the visa. If you can show me a service that will make a flight confirmation and hold the tickets in my name without payment for over 2 months, by all means point it out to me...
I'm already a EU citizen so not familiar with Schengen, and didn't know they required flight tickets to get it. All I can say if this is so critical I would've bought the tickets at least 3-6 months in advance. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and maybe I would've made the same mistake. All I can say is good luck. But the whole immigration fiasco due to wonderful Merkel definitely did not help your situation.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
686 posts
227 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 11:22 pm
I'm already a EU citizen so not familiar with Schengen, and didn't know they required flight tickets to get it. All I can say if this is so critical I would've bought the tickets at least 3-6 months in advance. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and maybe I would've made the same mistake. All I can say is good luck. But the whole immigration fiasco due to wonderful Merkel definitely did not help your situation.
oh there was no mistake made on my part. I bought the tickets over 6 months ago. For this visa you cannit apply until 3 months before the date of travel, I applied on the 3 month date exactly and then had to wait for 4 weeks for the appointment to give the info. now it has been almost 2 months from that date. How can they give you 3 months to do this but make you wait 1 month for the appointment and over 2 months to get the visa, there timeline is impossible.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3946 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
Sep 16th, 2018 9:14 pm
then there might be a backlog. the only way is keep following up with them then. Way more than required isn't always a good thing. You have to prvoide accurate information, not way more. Only they will know if it's 100% perfect or not. I have done many visa applications, Italy, iceland, Japan, US, UK. they all come back way before the estimate turnaround time. Last one i just did was UK during the peak summer season, got it back within 2 weeks.

I think you can reserve your spot more than 3 months ahead of your schedule trip. it's just the appointment with them can't be before 3 months. UK has the same requirements but i booked the slot 4 months ahead for an appointment that was exactly 3 months before my travels. that's where you got confused i think. but it shouldn't take long if everything is fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)