Shopping Discussion

Has anyone ever tried bartering with Canadian Tire or other similar stores?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2015 4:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
926 posts
197 upvotes

Has anyone ever tried bartering with Canadian Tire or other similar stores?

Now hear me out. Canadian Tire has four of a particular seasonal (summer) item I want. The employee I spoke with yesterday said that he didn't even think that they ever went out on the floor this summer and he had to look for them in the back.

The items have a regular price of $11 a pop. I'm wondering if it's at all possible that if I went in and said I would take all four if they would give me some kind of discount since it's a seasonal item they won't be able to sell for another 7 or 8 months. What do you guys think?
26 replies
Jul 21, 2014
599 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Honestly the ppl working at Crappy Tire aren't the brightest bulbs in the box but I am sure even if you spoke to a manager they would say prices r as posted & set by corporate.
Doesn't hurt to try though.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
926 posts
197 upvotes
Harpster007 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 5:55 pm
Honestly the ppl working at Crappy Tire aren't the brightest bulbs in the box but I am sure even if you spoke to a manager they would say prices r as posted & set by corporate.
Doesn't hurt to try though.
Yeah, at most places I wouldn't even try but what gives me some hope is that this particular CT location had a lot of stuff on clearance. Lots of it was seasonal too so maybe they'd be able to treat it like a clearance item and the price would be to the manager's discretion.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
strippedaway wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 5:59 pm
Yeah, at most places I wouldn't even try but what gives me some hope is that this particular CT location had a lot of stuff on clearance. Lots of it was seasonal too so maybe they'd be able to treat it like a clearance item and the price would be to the manager's discretion.
even clearance prices are set by head office

ask the manager to give you "last sale" price
Jan 9, 2011
315 posts
137 upvotes
Montreal, QC
How is what you're asking bartering? Sounds a lot more like haggling.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2515 posts
1523 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
strippedaway wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 5:49 pm
Now hear me out. Canadian Tire has four of a particular seasonal (summer) item I want. The employee I spoke with yesterday said that he didn't even think that they ever went out on the floor this summer and he had to look for them in the back.

The items have a regular price of $11 a pop. I'm wondering if it's at all possible that if I went in and said I would take all four if they would give me some kind of discount since it's a seasonal item they won't be able to sell for another 7 or 8 months. What do you guys think?
Firstly, "Bartering" in your subject is the wrong term. Bartering is the act of trading something for something. You want haggling (as has been previously stated) - and certainly if you ask the manager they may (or may not) accept your offer.

Certainly no harm in trying but don't be ridiculous in your offer price and don't become all upset if they say NO.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Nov 6, 2013
570 posts
323 upvotes
Haggling on an $11 item.. come on my man that is pathetic. If it was like a $1500 summer gazebo set or something I could see it.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
ALLCAPS wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 9:33 pm
Firstly, "Bartering" in your subject is the wrong term. Bartering is the act of trading something for something. You want haggling (as has been previously stated) - and certainly if you ask the manager they may (or may not) accept your offer.

Certainly no harm in trying but don't be ridiculous in your offer price and don't become all upset if they say NO.
technically he would be haggling with the intention to barter
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
926 posts
197 upvotes
primetimey wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 9:39 pm
Haggling on an $11 item.. come on my man that is pathetic. If it was like a $1500 summer gazebo set or something I could see it.
Eh, not in this case IMO. Their price is 2-3x more than every other store's price for this item so I don't feel "wrong" or "pathetic" for asking a discount when I'm clearing out old stock no one else wants that's just going to sit there for months or possibly even get thrown out.

And yes, I guess I used that word wrong. Well, it's not the first time.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3005 posts
1017 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
strippedaway wrote:
The items have a regular price of $11 a pop.
strippedaway wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 9:50 pm
Their price is 2-3x more than every other store's price for this item
So Cantire's regular price of $11 is 2-3x what the item sells for elsewhere, right?

You can get it elsewhere for four bucks, but you want to go in and haggle with Cantire for a better deal?

Why not go all the way and ask them if you can have the items for free? After all, you're doing them a favour....
Jun 12, 2010
664 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto/Santa Monica
strippedaway wrote:

yeah for CT if it's an active seasonal item they could potentially give it to you just above cost. depends on the manager.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
926 posts
197 upvotes
makaturing wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 11:49 pm
So Cantire's regular price of $11 is 2-3x what the item sells for elsewhere, right?

You can get it elsewhere for four bucks, but you want to go in and haggle with Cantire for a better deal?

Why not go all the way and ask them if you can have the items for free? After all, you're doing them a favour....
I'm not giving the specifics of this case, so you're never going to understand. Don't know what's with your last point though. CT, like many other stores, regularly clearances old stock and seasonal items, so why wouldn't I try to get a better deal on something the store would normally clearance? Would it be better for the store to sit on something for 9 months or plain old dump it in the trash than sell it all to one person for a few bucks less?

Like you do realize you're on a deal posting site, right? Are you judging everyone who talks about using coupons and price matching too? I mean after all why doesn't everybody just pay full price and support the poor stores?
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
926 posts
197 upvotes
mike229 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 11:56 pm
yeah for CT if it's an active seasonal item they could potentially give it to you just above cost. depends on the manager.
Thanks, I will try next weekend and see what they say.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3005 posts
1017 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
strippedaway wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:41 am
Like you do realize you're on a deal posting site, right?
Oh yes, and I also realize you are a troll. This thread is beyond ridiculous. I agree with primetimey a few posts back, he pretty much nailed it.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
926 posts
197 upvotes
makaturing wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:59 am
Oh yes, and I also realize you are a troll. This thread is beyond ridiculous. I agree with primetimey a few posts back, he pretty much nailed it.
Good one. Now you're the one misusing words.