Shopping Discussion

Has anyone ever tried bartering with Canadian Tire or other similar stores?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2015 4:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9791 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
I knew someone who used to work for Walmart and would get (almost daily) certain types of people asking for a discount cause the shirt was wrinkled, price tag was missing and the best one being because it's the last one.

I would only try to barter with BST deals, flea markets but not a big retail chain... Who does that?
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2004
2275 posts
222 upvotes
I wonder how much the OP spends travelling back and forth to the CT store.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12402 posts
1869 upvotes
City of Vancouver
XtremeModder wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 2:21 am
I knew someone who used to work for Walmart and would get (almost daily) certain types of people asking for a discount cause the shirt was wrinkled, price tag was missing and the best one being because it's the last one.

I would only try to barter with BST deals, flea markets but not a big retail chain... Who does that?
On consumer segments on tv, they advise asking for a discount for stuff with imperfections (eg button missing), open box/floor models, etc. The key is to ask someone with the authority to give u a discount, not some peon.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jun 14, 2012
401 posts
36 upvotes
go for it, doesn't hurt to try. Worst thing they'll say is no.I've gotten better prices just by asking even in large retail stores.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
926 posts
197 upvotes
peano wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 3:47 am
I wonder how much the OP spends travelling back and forth to the CT store.
It's called a telephone. Welcome to 2015!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9791 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 4:22 am
On consumer segments on tv, they advise asking for a discount for stuff with imperfections (eg button missing), open box/floor models, etc. The key is to ask someone with the authority to give u a discount, not some peon.
A defect sure, but usually the stores could send the items back to their warehouse or the manufacturer for a credit...
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
canadiankorean wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 8:32 pm
Why not buy it from the stores that sell for $4
this is rfd. people here will burn $10 in gas just to save $3 on something
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15635 posts
5855 upvotes
It all depends who you get when you are haggling. Many of the supervisors/managers have the ability to negotiate - for example, there are often items purchased for sales at heavily discounted prices, and those items will often appear as in-store specials later on. They will often drop the price of these items to "last sale price". Generally, last sale price is easy to get from them, especially if you are respectful when talking to them. Other times they will extend discounts to you that they give to special groups (such as the military discount for stores near the army base).

The mistake people often make when haggling is acting like they are doing the store a favour when the person you are dealing with really could care less if they sell it or not.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5669 posts
1505 upvotes
Montreal
If you think it's such a brilliant idea, why not just try it instead of asking our opinion and then getting mad at us when we think you're an idiot?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1675 posts
378 upvotes
When I used to work retail, there was no way for me to set the price any differently than what it scans as. If its damaged, then either the store absorbs it as a loss or it gets sent back to corporate. The person who ultimately makes that business decision (owner?) you may not get to speak to, especially over a $11 item.

You can try, but I don't see why they have to go to the back, dig it up, and then give you a discount for it.