• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2018 12:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
494 posts
200 upvotes

Has anyone flown WestJet service to UK?

Has anyone here used WJ to fly to London. I've checked Google flights, and they seem a few hundred cheaper, but a lot of the flights do a milk run and take 30 hours to get there. Also heard the 767 are old planes and break down a lot. I've used Airtransat, but they only have Non stop in the Summer and have more modern long haul Planes.

I live on the west coast
Last edited by User455957 on Jan 12th, 2018 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
35 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1701 posts
577 upvotes
Victoria
YYZtoPVG wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:00 am
Air canada.
This. WestJets planes don’t have TV’s, less food, etc.
Jul 15, 2003
372 posts
128 upvotes
IcelandAir all the way for me. Yes it stops in Iceland for a couple of hours, but for me it's worth it
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1278 posts
365 upvotes
Not every WS flight breaks down anymore, they've sorted a lot of those issues. But they are still old planes. The WS flights are also cheaper because they fly into Gatwick instead of LHR. Gatwick is about an hour drive from London.

AC on the 787 is likely a better choice, however they have issues too. My sister was delayed 4 hours on LHR->YYZ a couple of weeks ago, and I think the inbound flight was delayed even more.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1692 posts
701 upvotes
Ottawa
West Jest. Appropriate.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2515 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
SecretSauce wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:19 am
IcelandAir all the way for me. Yes it stops in Iceland for a couple of hours, but for me it's worth it
Stopover, narrowbody.
no thanks
Realtor - Platinum award winner.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2515 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
13inches wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:49 am
Not every WS flight breaks down anymore, they've sorted a lot of those issues. But they are still old planes. The WS flights are also cheaper because they fly into Gatwick instead of LHR. Gatwick is about an hour drive from London.

AC on the 787 is likely a better choice, however they have issues too. My sister was delayed 4 hours on LHR->YYZ a couple of weeks ago, and I think the inbound flight was delayed even more.
Probably weather related, all month of december was like that.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3518 posts
121 upvotes
Mississauga
oasis100 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:50 pm
Stopover, narrowbody.
no thanks
It's not bad when you consider the journey is broken up in the middle. 4-5 hours to Iceland, then 2 hours to UK.
May 22, 2007
394 posts
102 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Went to LGw last September with WJ. 1st time we used them, and we did so mainly because we had heard so many great things about them. Unfortunately though, highly doubt we would travel with them again. No food is offered, you have to buy it. There were no on seat tv's only the large communal ones every 30 ft or so.

The flight itself was fine, no better or worse than Air Transat, which we have used many times, and would use again in the future.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2515 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
No IFE, No Food, flies to Gatwick

You have to understand the reason AC is more expensive is because the taxes at LHR are high because of all the airport improvement and other fees.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3350 posts
318 upvotes
13inches wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:49 am
The WS flights are also cheaper because they fly into Gatwick instead of LHR. Gatwick is about an hour drive from London.
Gatwick airport to London Bridge station takes about 30 min on the Thameslink line, and that's not even the Gatwick Express.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3518 posts
121 upvotes
Mississauga
Not everyone cares about IFE and food. OP never said whether he prefers price vs amenities. There's more legroom on seats without seatback TV installed too.

I'm not excited about their hand-me-down B767 though. I'd still go for it if the price is significantly cheaper, otherwise I'd wait for their new Dreamliners to come into service.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4965 posts
460 upvotes
Yes last year I did
Went to Gatwick from Toronto

on leg out there , was overnight so we had food at airport prior, on flight back it was during day and we took snacks on board
you can bring a table for IFE ( have to download westjet app) , I have WJ mastercard so luggage was free, plan to go again this year as Gatwick was much quicker for passport control than heathrow
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.