Automotive

Has anyone gotten any car audio installation from FUTURESHOP/BESTBUY? Experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2010 6:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto

Has anyone gotten any car audio installation from FUTURESHOP/BESTBUY? Experiences?

Experiences, what did you get and how much did it cost you?

EDIT:

Just came back from FS/BB and was quoted for $100 on the installation of:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 7d3264en02

which is already pre-amped and comes with the kit already. I just need a little bit of oomph, nothing more.

I just have enough (my giftcard) to buy the sub itself and I'm pretty much getting the installation money out of my pockets.

If someone would like to reccommend a shop
, fire away, but please don't reccommend anyone just because they're your friend or a friend of a friend. Otherwise, I might have to just pay that $100 they're asking @ FS/BB.
28 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
No first-hand experience, but word-of-mouth says you'd be better off doing it yourself than taking it there.

You live in Toronto...there are a ton of reputable stereo shops you can take it to.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
Thanks, but I got a giftcard to get rid off.

anyone else?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1036 posts
11 upvotes
I have, at the Sherway and Yorkdale stores. However, I was working there at the time so I knew the guys would do a good job. This was a few years ago so I don't know what their work is like now. If a manager named Nema is working there then it'll be done properly. He's a good guy and rewally knew his stuff and made sure his employees did too. I know he switched between the Sherway and Yorkdale stores a lot.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
1269 posts
7 upvotes
does the gift card restrict you to car audio?

if you're looking into a system, might as well just use the gift card to buy an aftermarket deck and buy the bracket and wiring harness from FS/BB and then do it yourself. Or if you have a decent factory radio like I do, look into upgrading the speakers or even just a basslink for some more umph.

took me 45 minutes to install an alpine stereo into a toyota 4runner. took me 5 minutes to take that same alpine stereo out of a written off integra with a gerber clutch mini-tool.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
JAC wrote:
Aug 1st, 2010 5:54 pm
No first-hand experience, but word-of-mouth says you'd be better off doing it yourself than taking it there.

You live in Toronto...there are a ton of reputable stereo shops you can take it to.
+1. You don't want some kid just starting out using your car for practice. Same principle as going to Canadian Tire for car repairs.
Aug 18, 2009
327 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I've had two jobs done at FS. No problems at all but they were just head unit installs that are pretty straight forward.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1466 posts
91 upvotes
Guelph
I've had a car alarm install, subwoofer, amp, and head unit. I did them all at the same Future Shop as I had heard good things from friends and well my setup sounds awesome..

In all honesty though I installed everything myself after my first car was t-boned (other then the car alarm).
Nom nom nom.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4020 posts
274 upvotes
I did several years ago. Radio-CD install at FS Kennedy. Included in price. Everything was OK
Jul 25, 2009
411 posts
1 upvote
STAY AWAY......

they do crappy jobs.....

try selective sound..... google them...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13267 posts
228 upvotes
Midland
I got my stereo put in (just the CD unit) at Future Shop a few years back. No different than anywhere else and it was pretty cheap. The installation cost was included in the price and they just had to use a small part for $10.
For what I needed, it certainly wasn't rocket science and everything turned out just fine.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Jan 25, 2008
23 posts
1 upvote
Best Buy did the entertainment system in my Tahoe, four tv's, three 12" Rockford Fosgate subs, etc etc. no problems other than a burning issue with one of the amp cables, which they promptly fixed and gave me a $100 gift card for my troubles
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6601 posts
934 upvotes
Anywhere else but FS/BB, go to a dedicated car audio shop where you can talk the owner, not some 15 year old kid...

Ive read on other boards where people posted pics of the FS jobs, its all jerry-rigged and spaghetti wires everywhere behind, in general very poor jobs.

Buy the cd deck at the car audio shop, and they give you a deal and warranty the work you can get something nice installed, with warranty for under $200, and this is from a good shop with a reputation, not a crappy big box chain.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1143 posts
35 upvotes
Had 3 vehicles done at Queensway Futureshop near Sherway. Big black guy in the back knows what he's doing, I'd trust him no problem. Also FS has a deal where if they install an aftermarket deck to replace a factory one, you can go back to them and have the factory one put back in at no charge.
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
50/50, but the "set-up" I want is simple really.

thanks for the replies.
× < >