Cell Phones

Has anyone had any luck getting Rogers to waive the unlocking fee early?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2017 8:40 am
[OP]
Jul 2, 2017
18 posts
3 upvotes

Has anyone had any luck getting Rogers to waive the unlocking fee early?

With the changes coming in December, has anyone had any luck getting Rogers to waive the unlocking fee early?
27 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1537 posts
753 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
To answer your question, no. I haven't heard of them waiving it early. They simply don't care.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3131 posts
588 upvotes
I did.

I was very pleasant, but it could well also be that I've been with Rogers for three decades and my present term is almost up.

My daughter is leaving in October for Europe to study and I managed to get a very nice CSR to agree and got an interaction code to unlock her iPhone for free - I had no problems getting the support people to unlock the phone when I gave them the code. It may, however be interesting because my daughter's phone needs to be repaired - will the replacement from Apple be unlocked? Or am I going to have to go through the process again?
Sep 27, 2003
8176 posts
1551 upvotes
Newmarket
fredsmith wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 7:17 am
I did.

I was very pleasant, but it could well also be that I've been with Rogers for three decades and my present term is almost up.

My daughter is leaving in October for Europe to study and I managed to get a very nice CSR to agree and got an interaction code to unlock her iPhone for free - I had no problems getting the support people to unlock the phone when I gave them the code. It may, however be interesting because my daughter's phone needs to be repaired - will the replacement from Apple be unlocked? Or am I going to have to go through the process again?
Unlock status will carry over if the phone is replaced.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
[OP]
Jul 2, 2017
18 posts
3 upvotes
fredsmith wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 7:17 am
I did.

Thank you...... I called Rogers, Got a great CSR and he waived the fee.
Nov 1, 2009
430 posts
51 upvotes
Either they hate OP, the thread, and/or unsatisfied rogers customers who didn't get the unlock waive. lol
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25614 posts
5806 upvotes
GTHA
jay-em wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 1:19 pm
Either they hate OP, the thread, and/or unsatisfied rogers customers who didn't get the unlock waive. lol
Downvotes was because the op posted this thread in the 'Hot Deals' forum
Nov 1, 2009
430 posts
51 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 1:53 pm
lol....

Not exactly the same but kinda - I'm with Fido and I asked them 3 different times with 3 different reps and no dice in waiving the unlock fee. So I paid the $56.50 to unlock....booo.....

Fido definitely doesn't care....
Why would carriers care its extra income for their bottom line.
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:01 pm
Downvotes was because the op posted this thread in the 'Hot Deals' forum
I see. Forgot the 4th options. lol
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19174 posts
1405 upvotes
jay-em wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:44 pm
Why would carriers care its extra income for their bottom line.
Very true...though other carriers like Koodo and Virgin Mobile are waiving the unlock fee prior to Dec 2017 (still a huge YMMV but I did have success with Virgin)...

It's a nice goodwill gesture that builds customer loyalty.....i know I am sticking with Virgin Mobile....their customer service is good...
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3131 posts
588 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 10:43 am
Unlock status will carry over if the phone is replaced.
Thank you
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1337 posts
355 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ji2o0k wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 4:27 pm
Very true...though other carriers like Koodo and Virgin Mobile are waiving the unlock fee prior to Dec 2017 (still a huge YMMV but I did have success with Virgin)...

It's a nice goodwill gesture that builds customer loyalty..... I know I am sticking with Virgin Mobile....their customer service is good...
I'm sticking with Virgin because my silver QC plan is cheaper than even a corporate plan, plus I get a budget phone from them whenever I want (max once per billing cycle), and the gift card incentives more than offset the previous device buy-out.

Koodo is great for accumulating phones.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1337 posts
355 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Just got Koodo to agree to give me a free unlock. I'm not complaining, saves me $13-15.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)