Students

Has anyone here written a letter of explanation (for low gpa)..

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2008 7:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 13, 2008
72 posts
toronto

Has anyone here written a letter of explanation (for low gpa)..

Hey guys, I'm trying to transfer to York for Kinesiology B.A. They require a 2.3 but I only have a 2.1 (I know sucky first year)..

Now I called the admissions office and they told me to write a letter of explanation telling them why my gpa is low. I suppose after I submit the ouac application.

I don't know what to write :( Lol I don't know if I should sound personal or professional...Try to look scholarly or beg for pity....or talk about how badly I want to get in Kinesiology...

I got ****** marks for first year basically because I took a light load...8 courses.. beware guys, it actually made me lazier! Skipped so many lectures...

Also, and here's the meat of the reason, I just took courses that I had absolutely no interest in. All arts- because I was very good at it in highschool- but I didn't like it @ uni. Oh and I went to the gym. A lot. That's kind of why I want to go into Kinesiology now. I came in September @ 240 lbs and I'm down to 170ish and going, so I basically want to become a bit of a health nut and just looking at Kin's courses I can tell that's where I want to be.

You think they'll want to hear all this? I'm thinking about sending in my highschool transcript too, it's a 77 I think woo!
9 replies
Banned
Apr 28, 2007
1206 posts
12 upvotes
I was a college transfer (stayed there for 1.5 years) to York. I applied after my first year and submitted all my documents to registration. My marks up until my 1st year were pretty good but after my final semester, my marks dropped. So I was completely freaked out that I won't make the cut. So after a long wait, I still ended up going to York but they just didn't give me as much transfer credits, which was fine by me. Hope this helps. :D
[OP]
Apr 13, 2008
72 posts
toronto
Were you above or below the minimum requirement? Cause if you were below (I think for college it was 3.0) but they accepted anyway that gives me hope...
Apr 6, 2008
155 posts
Dubai
Just mention how you're having personal family problems which has kept you busy and away from studies. You weren't able to concentrate as much and were not able to exhaust your potential because personal family problems were stressing you out for the whole first year.

Good excuse if you ask me, gotta be creative. :)
[OP]
Apr 13, 2008
72 posts
toronto
Truth be told my grandpa did die this past year and that devastated my mum (I didn't know him well but I had to help my mum for a while). I might mention tht, but it definitely won't be the juice of it, sounds too cop-out like.

I'm going to shift focus on the fact that Kin is where my heart's really at, and that I feel York will offer a better enrichment opportunity for me, something like that...

Cause I'm not even lying, if I get in I'd be so happy...I'm not going anywhere as it is
Mar 5, 2007
614 posts
Give them a simple explanation. Doesn't have to be long like an essay. Time management problems because you over worked?

Then write a few sentences why you want to transfer to this program and write 1-2 sentences about your future goal.
Dec 8, 2007
90 posts
58 upvotes
Tilsonburg
write about how the transition from high school to uni was a big change
my friend at york told me thats the always a good excuse when trying to petition a mark...give it a try :)
hope all works outt :)
[OP]
Apr 13, 2008
72 posts
toronto
Hey guys thanks for the tips, I just finished the letter. It's 1.5 pages! I hope its not too long...I broke up the paragraphs so its not exactly a wall of text, and, well, I think its well written lol.

I was quite honest about it actually, but I didn't mention gramp's death. I did talk about work and how I selected the wrong courses. And was really open about my passion for Kin. I hope it works out.

p.s. they extended their deadline again to July 20th if anyone else is transfering to York. Kinda amazing innit, thats a bit late, but hey Im not complaining.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7400 posts
686 upvotes
Duperman wrote:
Jul 8th, 2008 7:16 pm
Hey guys thanks for the tips, I just finished the letter. It's 1.5 pages! I hope its not too long...I broke up the paragraphs so its not exactly a wall of text, and, well, I think its well written lol.

I was quite honest about it actually, but I didn't mention gramp's death. I did talk about work and how I selected the wrong courses. And was really open about my passion for Kin. I hope it works out.

p.s. they extended their deadline again to July 20th if anyone else is transfering to York. Kinda amazing innit, thats a bit late, but hey Im not complaining.
I find it really odd that you had to clarify that.
× < >