Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 30, 2009
809 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto

Has anyone ordered from B&H or Adorama?

Have any of you ordered any gear from B&H or Adorama out of the states? How long did it take to receive your order and more importantly were you hit with any import duty/taxes? Would you do it again?
11 replies
Sep 3, 2007
159 posts
33 upvotes
Hi there. I've ordered from Adorama once, a Pentax FA50/1.4 a couple of years ago. Shipping was hefty (over $30 on a $190 tiny lens) via ups international, but it was the option that included brokerage fees, so I only had to pay PST+GST when they arrived (this is the usual customs fee that I think can only be avoided by lying). Check the shipping option carefully, some will have additional brokerage fees that aren't always easy to determine.

According to my emails, it shipped by noon the day after I had ordered it. According to my first picture with it, I had it by 7pm the day it shipped.

I'd definitely do it again if the price is right (I saved a good chunk compared to buying in Canada, which I would otherwise have preferred to do). Also be aware that you are getting the US version (or grey market, it will be labeled as such), so the warranty might be different than the Canadian one. In my case, I had a 1 year international warranty instead of the 2 year domestic one Pentax Canada gives (didn't end up mattering in my case, 2 years are up and no problems).
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
95 upvotes
Nope, nobody here has ordered from them. If you'd done a search, you'd have seen that.

B&H - I ordered a flash from them. Shipping was around $30 USD. No brokerage fees, but there was GST & PST that had to be paid on delivery. In the end, I saved about $50 over buying it in Canada. Delivery time was reasonable from the States - about a week I think, maybe 1 1/2.

If I place another order from there though, I'd probably ship to a friend in the US and avoid the shipping charge.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2104 posts
342 upvotes
Ordered a used lens from Adorama. A sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro. Price was way better than anything I could find north of the border. Shipping was about $35 for next business day and it included brokerage fees. of course I had to pay taxes.

Very happy.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2009
809 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies. Sucks about paying for the taxes but it's still way cheaper than buying here in Canada. Some lenses are $200+ less and you have to pay the taxes on ones purchased here anyways!

Astin, I did do a search but both B&H and Adorama returned with 0 results.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9125 posts
259 upvotes
Crappymonkey wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2010 6:14 pm
Some lenses are $200+ less and you have to pay the taxes on ones purchased here anyways!
Well do realize the warranty isn't as good as the Canadian warranty for Nikon lenses, and you'll have to send it to Nikon USA for warranty repair..

http://www.photoprice.ca/ has good price comparisons
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8352 posts
1031 upvotes
I've ordered a whole bunch of stuff from BH but always shipped to the US.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4503 posts
44 upvotes
Ordered a 430EXII from Adorama. It shipped from NJ so it took less than 2 days to arrive, no taxes.
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
46 upvotes
My cousin in NJ orders my stuff through BH and gets it delivered to his home. He comes to Toronto every other week or so to visit his gf (that I hooked him up with) and he smuggles my gear for me. :cheesygri

Free shipping and no brokerage/taxes. ;)
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
lz7j wrote:
Feb 4th, 2010 12:06 am
My cousin in NJ orders my stuff through BH and gets it delivered to his home. He comes to Toronto every other week or so to visit his gf (that I hooked him up with) and he smuggles my gear for me. :cheesygri

zomg reported to Canadian Customs! ;)

Nikko, I'll have to keep this in mind next time I spy with my eyes some studio gear... hehe
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2898 posts
550 upvotes
Vaughan
lz7j wrote:
Feb 4th, 2010 12:06 am

That's freaking awesome. I wish I had family in the US that could do that for me. :(
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
46 upvotes
CSAgent wrote:
Feb 4th, 2010 1:00 am
zomg reported to Canadian Customs! ;)

Nikko, I'll have to keep this in mind next time I spy with my eyes some studio gear... hehe
I used to work for the CBSA.
When a US citizen declares a high valued good(s) as a 'gift' they rarely care. I got my 200, 300, 400, 1d4, etc. from the US this way. The only time my cuz got hassled was when he brought back 9 x alienbee strobes, 5 x vagabond packs and a buttload of replacement bulbs. :)