Home & Garden

Has anyone purchased Miele Little Giants washer/Dryer or Samsung FlexWash/FlexDry?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2018 4:16 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes

Has anyone purchased Miele Little Giants washer/Dryer or Samsung FlexWash/FlexDry?

I need to replace my 10 year old Samsung washer/Dryer set, these were top of the line Samsung 10 years ago but they were awful with all the repairs, both were full replaced under warranty, drain pump and heating element died regularly, drum became very noise over time.

Do the new Samsung top of the line FlexWash/FlexDry still have all the same quality control issues? I’m loving all the bells and whistles.

The other set to consider is the Miele Little Giants, but I think it might be something crazy like 10k to purchase, we are a family of 6 and need something that can withstand working a lot.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
We are in the market for a smaller stacking washer dryer and I would rather spend more $ to get quality vs cheaper not so great machines. I was considering Speed Queen but it seems their recent changes have made the machines not that great compared to the older style Speed Queens. I am curious about the Miele Little Giants as well, the size of the machines is very compact and would be perfect for the closet we need to put our machines in. Have you found a Canadian supplier for the Miele Little Giants? We are in Kingston, so I doubt there's any local suppliers here but we are willing to drive to Ottawa, Montreal or GTA if necessary.

EDIT: Have you looked at the Haier units? They are also 24" wide.
Last edited by Shaynelle on Jun 7th, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
I haven’t looked yet, we are a family of 6 and I think the Little Giants will be too small for me, not sure if Niele sells larger but it will still be in the 10k range, kind of crazy and yes I heard the same thing about the speed queen.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
soupmaster666 wrote: Consumer Reports does all this legwork for you - I recommend finding a copy of their most recent appliance reviews. It doesn't have to be Canada specific.

When I bought mine last year, they gave LG great reviews.
Thanks. Do you find the Consumer Reports to be accurate? I do read them but have always wondered how accurate they are. We are considering LG as well, but they mostly (only?) have 27" units with dryer vents (the 24" unit I found was ventless, which I do not want), but that's about the lowest we are hoping to go as far as quality - which LG, for the price, is an amazing deal, but we are also considering Miele, Bosch, Haier, and Asko. The latter four being very pricey, so I'm not sure they are worth it... I want something that will last at least 20 years. We have a second (larger) commercial set in the basement we will keep for larger things like comforters, etc but this stacking set will be on the main floor for convenience.
Mar 14, 2011
15 posts
3 upvotes
Vaughan
Stay away from Miele washer / dryer they are terrible.Everything else they make is great.Look into the whirpool they are supposed to be decent.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
ciuvak wrote: Why are you looking at Little Giants specifically? What about the new W1/T1 models?
https://www.miele.ca/en/c/w1-t1-3666.htm
https://blog.designerappliances.com/mie ... er-review/
You are right, I don’t know why I got stuck on the Little Giants, they are too small for a family of 6 from what I’ve been told, how are the W1s? Big enough, reliable?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
Rockstead wrote: You are right, I don’t know why I got stuck on the Little Giants, they are too small for a family of 6 from what I’ve been told, how are the W1s? Big enough, reliable?
These machines are 24" class, so can't fit as much as the typical North American sized machines. W1 washer has the capacity listed as 17.6 lb (8 kg) dry laundry.
I know people say 24" machines are too small after using the huge Samsungs, but very often it just means running the machine more often, rarely it's a problem of actually struggling to wash something oversized that wouldn't fit. Yes it happens in some situations, but not everyone will have this issue over the lifetime of a machine. I think it's more important how is the washing quality.
Here is my own experience. Our last machines were two Samsung pairs one after the other. The last pair purchased in 2012 had all the latest features (steam, etc) but was very bad at actual washing. Clothes needed lots of additional rinsing (otherwise would get stinky), the washing temperature was too low for some situations. The machines never actually broke which was lucky, but we were never happy with the quality of the wash. Last year, knowing that the extended warranty on the Samsungs is about to expire, decided to look into european smaller machines, mainly to find something that would wash better. Miele was too expensive at that time, but we found a Blomberg washer/drier pair at a good discounted price. The Blomberg set we have has the same capacities the Miele W1/T1 models. Anyway, the machine washes much better than any of the Samsungs ever did. We didn't change the detergents, everything is the same. The drier is also nice, has a heat pump design just like the new T1 Miele, so it's much more efficient vs a classic condenser drier. There is less static than the previous vented drier we had, also uses less electricity: the heat is recycled not just dumped outside.
These are the modes we have:
Blomberg WM98400SX2 https://www.canadianappliance.ca/produc ... 00SX2.html
Blomberg DHP24412W https://www.canadianappliance.ca/produc ... 4412W.html
The prices from that store are high, in my case I got the pair from a local dealer for under $2700 total for the set, but it was a YMMV situation as this was a scratch and dent, but with the full warranty.
So if the price is too close to Miele, I would get Miele instead.
The main idea I wanted to share is that there are also advantages to the smaller 24" machines.