• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2018 3:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
579 posts
37 upvotes

Has anyone sold their used suits?

Before anyone starts with the... "Why don't you donate your clothes?"... My wife and I regularly donate bags of cloths to local charities 2/3 times a year.

I have a question for those who have gently used / good quality suits hanging in their closets. Has anyone tried to sell their suits? Is there a demand for good quality / gently used suits? When I refer to good quality, I'm talking suits ranging from $400 to $800.

Any ideas or suggestions on what the resell price is for good quality / gently used suits?

Cheers!
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4393 posts
433 upvotes
Markham
400-800 means resell price or original price?
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
579 posts
37 upvotes
Hi smartie.

Thanks for your reply. 400-800 was the original value of the suits that I had purchased. I’m just trying to get a sense if there’s a resell market for suits and what is the going resell value of suits.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1744 posts
442 upvotes
North York
You willing to let someone try it on before buying?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1295 upvotes
I don’t think there is a huge demand since most thrift store you go to are loaded with good quality suits.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2396 posts
878 upvotes
Everywhere
For someone to buy your suits, they would have to fit the buyer perfectly.

Thrift stores have a wider selection of sizes and likely for less than the amount you will sell your suits.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4700 posts
891 upvotes
No, donate them.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Nov 15, 2011
142 posts
80 upvotes
NORTH YORK
You could try consignment stores. There are a few in Toronto for upscale women's clothing but they may have a men's section.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20013 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't sold my used suits but I only have a few off the rack (OTR) - went with custom suits a while ago and those will definitely not be re-sellable given it is custom and my unique body shape (wide and stocky).

I don't think you'll get much (even high quality name brand) as the person buying would have to fit yours exactly unless you didn't tailor the OTR suit...

Best to donate...gluck!
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
579 posts
37 upvotes
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Donation it is.

Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5534 posts
1242 upvotes
BC
Yes, that really is the only way.

At a thrift store, customers have the benefit of a changing room, the retail shopping experience (or sort of), exchange privilege, and satisfaction that their money is going to a supposedly good cause.

You just can't compete with that.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4947 posts
865 upvotes
Scarborough
ji2o0k wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 12:34 pm
I haven't sold my used suits but I only have a few off the rack (OTR) - went with custom suits a while ago and those will definitely not be re-sellable given it is custom and my unique body shape (wide and stocky).

I don't think you'll get much (even high quality name brand) as the person buying would have to fit yours exactly unless you didn't tailor the OTR suit...

Best to donate...gluck!
This in a nutshell. You might be able to get something based on name brand alone, but most of the time unless it fits the person exactly, you're just better off donating or selling to a consignment store
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7128 posts
4075 upvotes
Edmonton
I donated my old suits to a charity that does grad clothes for high school kids.

C
Jun 11, 2015
199 posts
129 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
There is a market for used suits. Check Ebay to get an idea of prices.

The price will range from 1/2 to 1/10 of the typical sale price and fall dramatically if they are out of style (i.e. a black pinstriped 3 button will be worth far less than a navy 2 button).

(When I say reasonable sale price, I mean say 30% off MSRP for a Brooks Brothers suit and 75% off for a Calvin Klein suit.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)