Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2017 5:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2883 posts
366 upvotes
GTA

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

I mean those tests like the situational judgement test or the office skills test for the Public Service Commission of Canada. The sample questions given seem pretty straight forward and just involve common sense basically. Just wondering what your experience with taking the test was like though.
12711 replies
Oct 18, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
I took it last year. It was not hard you don't need much preparation
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9495 posts
2804 upvotes
Ottawa
I did those tests way back in 2002, fresh out of university.

They weren't too hard and I did well, getting 75%+ in all 3 tests (Situational Judgment, Graduate Recruitment and English Writing Skills)

I did not hear anything after though, presumably your resume, employment profiles and test scores are stored in the Public Service Works database and if hiring managers see that you meet the qualifications of the positions they are looking to staff, they will give you a call or send an email for interviews.

Don't forget, it was the peak of the high-tech crash at the time so I might have had to compete with a whole bunch of other folks wit more experience or credentials. Things have certainly eased up since.

I am now working for the government but I did not get hired through that route.
Atomy Korean Beauty Care/Health Care/Household products available in Ottawa.

Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Minto homes in Ottawa.
Oct 18, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
Hello. I passed the tests too but was rejected by them saying " I am not a Canadian citizen."
Do you mind telling what route you went through for a government job? Any suggestions?

Thanks
canabiz wrote:
Oct 21st, 2007 10:10 am
I did those tests way back in 2002, fresh out of university.

They weren't too hard and I did well, getting 75%+ in all 3 tests (Situational Judgment, Graduate Recruitment and English Writing Skills)

I did not hear anything after though, presumably your resume, employment profiles and test scores are stored in the Public Service Works database and if hiring managers see that you meet the qualifications of the positions they are looking to staff, they will give you a call or send an email for interviews.

Don't forget, it was the peak of the high-tech crash at the time so I might have had to compete with a whole bunch of other folks wit more experience or credentials. Things have certainly eased up since.

I am now working for the government but I did not get hired through that route.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9495 posts
2804 upvotes
Ottawa
rainy, i put in some info in the Official Thread to get a job with the Government

in a nutshell, I applied and got my current job on the CRA website, cra-arc.gc.ca

Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Minto homes in Ottawa.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9495 posts
2804 upvotes
Ottawa
Does anyone know if the PSC is having these tests at this time ?

I took these tests back in November of 2001 and March of 2002, at the time it's a twice-a-year event. I'd like to know if they are having anything right now so that my wife can sign up for it. She is a new grad and she has built a profile on the PSC site but we did not see any dates for the tests.

I think it's the Graduate Recruitment Test (GRT), Situational Judgment Test (SJT) and Written Proficiency Test (WRT) that she wants to take.

Dec 10, 2004
75 posts
canabiz wrote:
Oct 29th, 2007 4:32 pm
Does anyone know if the PSC is having these tests at this time ?

I took these tests back in November of 2001 and March of 2002, at the time it's a twice-a-year event. I'd like to know if they are having anything right now so that my wife can sign up for it. She is a new grad and she has built a profile on the PSC site but we did not see any dates for the tests.

I think it's the Graduate Recruitment Test (GRT), Situational Judgment Test (SJT) and Written Proficiency Test (WRT) that she wants to take.
They're running them this Saturday (Nov. 3) at the convention centre downtown. I'm not entirely sure how to sign up without applying for a position, but I imagine there's a way to do it.

Here's the FAQ. It seems you can't write them unless you apply for a position:

http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/menu/faq_e.htm#applying
Jun 27, 2005
113 posts
I'm currently on the block for one of these gong show tests. Not sure if I will even bother to write this grad recruitment thing....isn't a degree enough to show you can read for pete's sake? They must get a lot of lemons in the public service or this stuff wouldn't be necessary. Maybe that's the whole point though.....to weed out people who don't like to put up with BS. From what I've been told one must be able to stomach plenty of BS to make the public service a lifelong career.
Dec 1, 2003
469 posts
96 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm just wondering if anyone knew what kind of question one could expect in Graduate Recruitment category.
Nov 24, 2002
80 posts
5 upvotes
I'm writing mine in Windsor tommorow at the University of Windsor campus. It's for the post-secondary recruitment inventory.
- Rob
May 20, 2005
299 posts
2 upvotes
are u allowed to bring water and drink it during the exam?

also, for those who have done 2+ of these tests back to back, how did u guys survive? > :(
Nov 24, 2002
80 posts
5 upvotes
My results were posted Monday and yesterday.
- Rob
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2883 posts
366 upvotes
GTA
I've now got the Data Entry test coming up. Anyone know how this one is done?

I know you can't really rely on the PSC website to determine how these tests are done. For example, I took the office skills test over a month ago. It was a bit misleading how on the PSC website, it says it takes 20 minutes to write the test, including administrative purposes, which just means the invigilators explaining how to do the tests. In reality, you only get 6 minutes total to write the actual test which is 25 questions long. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3645 posts
184 upvotes
Dave98 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2007 3:23 pm
I've now got the Data Entry test coming up. Anyone know how this one is done?

I know you can't really rely on the PSC website to determine how these tests are done. For example, I took the office skills test over a month ago. It was a bit misleading how on the PSC website, it says it takes 20 minutes to write the test, including administrative purposes, which just means the invigilators explaining how to do the tests. In reality, you only get 6 minutes total to write the actual test which is 25 questions long. :lol:
I took a data entry one about a year ago...not sure if it'll be the same. Usually they give you text on a piece of paper and you have to type it up - the program measures keystrokes, words per minute, errors, corrections you make, etc. You do a few of these...they're timed too. not sure if it'll be the same tho. advice: work on typing up stuff from a textbook...see how you can do. accuracy is more important than speed.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel