Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2016 3:49 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 9, 2008
7 posts
Edmonton
I've been busy for a while and didn't come back to check the thread. Wow, lots of news!

I was offered an interview for CIC, but I declined. My scores are highlighted below, so you can update the chart. Neat that I was the next person down the list - your ordering was well done!

I decided instead to work in a Service Canada Call Centre. It's right here in my city (Edmonton), great for me because I have a family and I'm tired of moving. And the pay is ridiculously good (43,000 to start, prorated to 30 hours per week).

There are lots of opportunities for advancement too, so it's better for me in some ways... Not as glamorous as DFAIT or CIC, but stable employment. I start in 2 weeks.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

JMoreno wrote:
Jan 30th, 2009 8:23 pm
Thanks to all who have posted their test results, which has inspired many others to jump in and comment. And congratulations to everyone who has an interview coming up in the next month.

Here is a list of the scores and interviews pulled from this thread to date, in no particular order, except to put those with interviews at the top. This includes several who only posted partial results.

GRT WCPT SJT : interviews
48 - 48 - 86 : DFAIT (offer)
48 - 44 - 84 : DFAIT
43 - 45 - 82 : DFAIT
43 - 47 - 79 : DFAIT
48 - 45 - 83 : DFAIT
38 - 45 - 83 : DFAIT, CIC
37 - 47 - 79 : CIC
43 - 37 - 88 : CIC
49 - 45 - 69 : CIC
48 - 47 - 64 :arrowl:
35 - 34 - 72
39 - 43 - 79
41 - 41 - 67
44 - 39 - 76
43 - 40 - 76
35 - 35 - 81
43 - 46 - 66
24 - 41 - 76
27 - .. - 79
35 - .. - 73
37 - .. - 84
.. - 43 - 69
.. - 30 - 73
.. - 33 - 77
.. - 45 - ..
.. - 41 - ..
.. - 38 - ..
.. - .. - 76
Nov 1, 2008
47 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hey guys,
I was rejected for DFAIT but my application was forwared to CIC. No interview invite yet though. My scores were as follows: SJT 81/50, GRT 39/55, WCPT 35/50. So they weren't amazing but all right. Mind you I work for the federal government and have had experience in almost all the areas they were requesting so it's possible that my answers to the questions may have helped me out. I'm planning on retaking my WCPT later this year though because I don't feel it's high enough, and GRT I don't feel I can really do much better on.
Apr 22, 2008
391 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
1. How do we go about rewriting specific tests?

Must we wait for an invite to a group session, or can we somehow schedule one at the PSC testing center on Front Street once the minimum 180 day period has expired?

2. Also, what is the max time that we can keep our scores?
Dec 12, 2008
222 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
dhruvc1386 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2008 9:48 am
I would want to know as to what is the best way to prepare for all the 3 exams of the PSC. i.e. GRT, SJT and WCPT. Are there any study guide books the government offers?
Hey, here is a website to practice for PSC exams like GRT, SJT, WCPT and a bunch more. I just discovered it myself so hope it helps... http://www.PublicServicePrep.com
The only thing is that it's not free... but what is really free nowadays! I just did WCPT for fun, and will now start doing the SJT.
Jan 18, 2009
59 posts
Hi just wondering if anyone who did apply to DFAIT would be able to post the job description they had posted on the website? I'm finishing school off next year and would like to see what they're looking for and what kind of requirements they have for the job.

Thanks.
Oct 25, 2008
23 posts
Ottawa
senx2660 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2009 1:18 am
Hi just wondering if anyone who did apply to DFAIT would be able to post the job description they had posted on the website? I'm finishing school off next year and would like to see what they're looking for and what kind of requirements they have for the job.

Thanks.
This is the Statement of Merit Criteria from the original PSR listing (with the language requirements chopped out to get it short enough to post here).

ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS

Education:

Foreign Service Officer - Political/Economic and Commercial/Economic (FS-01), Commercial Officer (CO-01), Management Consular Officer (AS-04):

. Completion of a Bachelor's Degree from a recognized university in any area of study by September 30th, 2009.

Policy Officer (ES-03):

. Completion of a Bachelor's Degree from a recognized university with acceptable specialization in economics, sociology or statistics by September 30th, 2009.

Note: Candidates applying to the ES-03 positions must always have a university degree. The courses for the specialization do not necessarily have to be part of a degree program in the required specialization. The specialization may also be obtained through an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.

Tests:
A CUT-OFF SCORE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE ABOVE-MENTIONED POST-SECONDARY RECRUITMENT TESTS MAY BE ESTABLISHED BY THE DEPARTMENT AND MAY BE USED IN PRE-SELECTION AND/OR ASSESSMENT.

. Graduate Recruitment Test (GRT 316)
. Situational Judgement Test (SJT 318)
. Written Communication Proficiency Test (WCPT 351)

Competencies to be assessed:

. Adaptability and Flexibility
. Effective Interactive Communication
. Focus on Quality and Details
. Initiative
. Interpersonal Relations and Respect
. Judgement
. Networking and Alliance Building
. Teamwork and Cooperation

ASSET QUALIFICATIONS

. Graduation with a degree from a recognized university in one (1) of the following areas of study:
. Business Administration
. Commerce
. Economics
. Environmental Studies or Environmental Sciences
. Finance
. Human Resources
. International Relations
. Law
. Political Science
. Public Administration
. Graduation with a postgraduate degree (e.g. Master's Degree) from a recognized university
. Experience in working, studying or living abroad
. Experience in working, studying or living in difficult conditions abroad (Difficult conditions is defined as locations which present significant and ongoing hardship related to personal health, availability of services comparable to those in Canada, economic and political stability, and accompaniment of dependants)
. Experience in writing, analyzing or advocating policy or policy issues
. Experience in working in a client/service delivery environment
. Experience in working in a field related to business, commerce, economics, engineering, environment, finance, international trade, international relations, human resources, law, science & technology, public administration, Property Management, Material Management, Consular Services, Emergency Management

These qualifications may have been acquired through a combination of academic, work, volunteer or extra-curricular activities.
. Working ability in one of the following languages: Arabic, Bahasa, Bosnian, Czech, Haitian Creole, Croatian, Dari, Dutch, Farsi, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Pashto, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swahili, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese may be considered an asset.
Candidates indicating a working ability in these languages may be tested by the Department as part of the hiring process.
OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS

Foreign Service Officer - Political/Economic and Commercial/Economic (FS-01), Management Consular Officer (AS-04):
. Requirement to be a Rotational employee
. Willingness to accept temporary assignments in different locations in Canada or abroad on short notice
. Willingness to travel periodically, including internationally
. Willingness to work overtime (as required)

Commercial Officer (CO-01), Policy Officer (ES-03):
. Willingness to travel periodically, including internationally
. Willingness to work overtime (as required)

ORGANIZATIONAL NEEDS
. Employment equity may be used to address the under representation of designated groups.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT

CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:

FOREIGN SERVICE OFFICER - POLITICAL/ECONOMIC AND COMMERCIAL/ECONOMIC (FS-01):
-Reliability and Security: Secret; Top Secret
-Rotationality: Rotational employees are required to serve in positions at Headquarters in Ottawa or in other locations in Canada (ie: regional offices) or at any location in Canada's network of diplomatic missions abroad, as determined by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.
-According to your career selection (FS-01, AS-04), you must also be willing to spend a significant part of your career abroad and be prepared for the impact this will have on your family and lifestyle.
-Periodic travel, including internationally
-Overtime as required

MANAGEMENT CONSULAR OFFICER (AS-04):
-Reliability and Security: Top Secret
-Rotationality: Rotational employees are required to serve in positions at Headquarters in Ottawa or in other locations in Canada (ie: regional offices) or at any location in Canada's network of diplomatic missions abroad, as determined by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.
-According to your career selection (FS-01, AS-04), you must also be willing to spend a significant part of your career abroad and be prepared for the impact this will have on your family and lifestyle.
-Overtime as required
COMMERCIAL OFFICER (CO-01), POLICY OFFICER (ES-03):
-Reliability and Security: Secret; Top Secret
-Overtime as required

Secret or Top Secret security clearance will be determined based on the position(s) to be staffed.
Security Clearance is not used at the pre-selection stage. The Department is responsible for the Security Clearance process. However, successful candidates will be responsible for obtaining, at their own expense, fingerprints and photos to complete the security clearance process.
Successful candidate(s) must meet and maintain the Conditions of Employment throughout their employment.

THE ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES WE SEEK AND WILL ASSESS ARE:

Adaptability and Flexibility - Involves the ability to adapt quickly to change. It includes a genuine willingness to modify own style and approach in order to see others' points of view or to achieve a specific objective; includes interacting effectively with people from other cultures. It entails enthusiastically changing or easily accepting changes in one's own organization or job requirements.

Effective Interactive Communication - Implies the ability to transmit and receive information clearly and communicate effectively to others by considering their points of view in order to respond appropriately. It includes using tact and diplomacy in all communications as well as the ability to convey ideas and information, both orally and in writing, in a way that brings understanding to the target audience.

Focus on Quality and Details - Reflects taking pride in ensuring that tasks are completed well and on time with a focus on accuracy and quality. It is expressed in such forms as monitoring and checking work or information, insisting on clarity of roles and functions, planning, etc.

Initiative - Implies a strong bias for taking action, proactively doing things and not simply thinking about future actions. The time frame of this scale moves from completing current projects to acting on future opportunities or problems.

Interpersonal Relations and Respect - Involves dealing with people in a respectful and sensitive manner. It implies truly listening, understanding, accepting and respecting the opinions, feelings, perspectives and motivations of others. It is also the ability to use this knowledge to shape one's own responses and to show a concern for the welfare, dignity and feelings of others.

Judgement - Implies the ability to analyze information, identify key issues, relationships or objectives, diagnose opportunities, make sound inferences from available information, and draw logical conclusions. The thinking process may be linear, using cause and effect relationships to analyze problems in a step-by-step way.

Networking and Alliance Building - Involves the ability to develop contacts and relationships internal and external to DFAIT to facilitate work efforts or to gain support/cooperation. It implies building long-term or on-going relationships with clients or stakeholders (e.g. someone, internal or external to DFAIT and/or the government, on whom your work has an impact). This type of relationship is often quite deliberate and is typically focused on the way the relationship is conducted.

Teamwork and Cooperation - Implies the genuine intention to work cooperatively with others, to be part of a team, to work together (as opposed to working separately or competitively) and to promote quality work through effective contribution to team efforts. It includes promoting cooperation and partnerships between individuals and groups at various levels, both inside and outside the organization.

You are encouraged to review the competencies and their definitions.
Jan 18, 2009
59 posts
Thanks! can you tell me what the language requirements are? I'm thinking about taking a 1st year french course at university next year, wondering if anyone could say if they're helpful or not?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9353 posts
2770 upvotes
Ottawa
I did these tests many moons ago right after I finished my university (2002) and I passed all of them all on my first tries but did not land any interviews (GRT = 39/55, WRT = 40/50, FS-SJT = 95/146 and SJT = 75/100). I am also a visible minority and I am multi-lingual but I guess it didn't help me. I did not bother taking the tests again to get better scores. I knew from the get-go that there are different ways to skin the cats and I had to take matters into my own hand if I wanted to get what I want, instead of relying on *scores*.

I have since found my ways into the government (via an external process) but one advice I can give you guys is to be persistent and do exactly what the posters ask you to do i.e. if they want you to send in your kindergarten certificate, find it and send it in.

I recently received a PM from another member on this board who heeded my advice a few years ago in another thread to take a contract position with the Fed. She is now an indeterminate employee and she thanked me for showing her the way. That really made my day. Patience and perseverance will result in good things.

Best of luck, ladies and gents.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Oct 25, 2008
23 posts
Ottawa
senx2660 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2009 2:55 am
Thanks! can you tell me what the language requirements are? I'm thinking about taking a 1st year french course at university next year, wondering if anyone could say if they're helpful or not?
The language requirements for most DFAIT positions require you to be bilingual, but DFAIT is kind of unique in that you don't need to be bilingual when you're hired. If you make it through the interview process but don't speak French, they will give you a written test to see if you have the ability to learn new languages without large problems. If you pass, they hire you on a provisional basis (@ a reduced salary) and give you a year of French language training. You need to learn French in that year or you are let go.

So to answer your question, yes - I think it would be useful. Not because it would get you into DFAIT, but because it'll jump start your French studies if you end up getting hired...
Apr 22, 2008
391 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Shekina wrote:
Feb 16th, 2009 5:28 pm
Hey, here is a website to practice for PSC exams like GRT, SJT, WCPT and a bunch more. I just discovered it myself so hope it helps... http://www.PublicServicePrep.com
The only thing is that it's not free... but what is really free nowadays! I just did WCPT for fun, and will now start doing the SJT.

Is this kit any good? Does anyone have a used copy they are willing to sell? PM me if so.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2033 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
You either got it or you don't, spending money on these prep tests are useless.
Oct 25, 2008
23 posts
Ottawa
oasis100 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 10:08 am
I'd have to disagree. While people will be naturally inclined to do either better or worst on the government tests, I think anyone can hope to improve their performance (to some degree) with a little preparation.
Apr 22, 2008
391 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Time (and maybe even the loud 8 a.m discotheque next door) was my enemy on the GRT. And as with the GREs, being accustomed to the types of questions will hopefully make me more efficient in answering them.
Nov 15, 2008
3 posts
London, England
so are most of us were kind of disappointed we didn't make it this time...Just wondering how many of you plan on taking it over again? I definitely think I will...I bought the exam kit from www.foreignserviceexamprep.com. I found it actually quite useful....I was just wondering if any of you used http://www.publicserviceprep.com/Public/tour2.aspx ??? Is it better? Worse? Not worth the money?

Thanks

btw my scores were 39/55, 41/50, and a shameful 68/100 :mad:
× < >