Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2023 3:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5438 posts
80 upvotes
Sydney
thegoat54 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but don't these test scores generally mean squat?!

I got a 71% a 70% and a 68% but its still above the cut off marks.

I would assume that these are just a way of screening people out below the cut off. Now that I have a passing grade they will actually look at my Resume and decide to give me an interview or not.

I mean someone with a 65% on a test but with proper experience and education for the position (Say a degree in Law or Criminology) for a border or immigration officer position is CLEARLY a better candidate than some guy who scored a 90% but has a degree in Basket Weaving.

n'est-ce pas?
Stop crying because you got crappy scores. Maybe next time smarten up and get some 80s.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2007
1126 posts
654 upvotes
Mississauga
thegoat54 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but don't these test scores generally mean squat?!

I would assume that these are just a way of screening people out below the cut off. Now that I have a passing grade they will actually look at my Resume and decide to give me an interview or not.

I mean someone with a 65% on a test but with proper experience and education for the position (Say a degree in Law or Criminology) for a border or immigration officer position is CLEARLY a better candidate than some guy who scored a 90% but has a degree in Basket Weaving.

n'est-ce pas?
My degree in basket weaving is much more rare and sought after than a degree in law. Tons of crappy lawyers around, but barely any grandmaster basket weavers.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1887 posts
225 upvotes
GTA
JMoreno wrote: I can only guess that they look at your resume after you have been referred (ie. you have a high score).
Yep, that is how it works with all departments that use these generic tests. If you do not appear on the list (compiled by a system), no one will ever see your resume.. in other words your application pretty much rots in the PSC system.
Nov 27, 2009
20 posts
Vancouver, B.C.

n'est-ce pas?

Well, I understand the frustration of what you are going through.. but then agian.. as most of us were witness to. there were a hell of a lot of people at those testing centers. I believe even some PSC invigilators were surprised by the number turnouts..

Hence, there must be SOME way.. a practical way.. of screening out some portion of the applying population.. and that generally depends on the departments.
Although popular opinion might suggest a top-down approach; I have heard that an "index score" of sorts is used to balance out the scores. I've even heard that some departments throw out the "extreme scores" (ie: VERY HIGH) and stick with people within a percentile of the average or median scores..
I believe this is where the z-score discussion could start.. but it has been discussed tremendously already.

Hence, all in all, as some one here already mentioned.. the power of your resume and experience is only a function of the scores that you are willing to produce within those 8 hours or so..

Yeah, perhaps its not an accurate reflection on the job and positions; but it must be done and they aren't the only ones doing it.. take Law schools and the LSAT for example..

Hope it all works out either way..
Nov 27, 2009
20 posts
Vancouver, B.C.
Bleys007 wrote: My degree in basket weaving is much more rare and sought after than a degree in law. Tons of crappy lawyers around, but barely any grandmaster basket weavers.
lol..i completely agree
Oct 25, 2009
184 posts
6 upvotes

n'est-ce pas?
these are entry-level positions, experience is definitely not the most important thing that they are looking for. i'm sure they are looking for candidates with potential. a candidate with a score of 90% average among tests is clearly have more potential than those with a 65% average.
Nov 1, 2008
47 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

n'est-ce pas?
Sorry to burst your bubble but it's all about the scores. I've been doing these tests for three years. I'm hopeful that finally my scores will be enough to get an interview. Last year I was considered for one job but later screened out because they made the cutoffs higher (CIC).

I've got an M.A. from U of T and I already work for the Federal Government - therefore, I've got a lot of relevant experience for a lot of the postings.

Retake the tests again next year. I've taken the WCPT and GRT twice and the SJT once. I'm reasonably happy with my scores now, I don't think I can do much better so now I wait and see.

SJT 81/100
WCPT 40/50
GRT 39/55
Jan 20, 2009
105 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
polskadz wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble but it's all about the scores. I've been doing these tests for three years. I'm hopeful that finally my scores will be enough to get an interview. Last year I was considered for one job but later screened out because they made the cutoffs higher (CIC).

I've got an M.A. from U of T and I already work for the Federal Government - therefore, I've got a lot of relevant experience for a lot of the postings.

Retake the tests again next year. I've taken the WCPT and GRT twice and the SJT once. I'm reasonably happy with my scores now, I don't think I can do much better so now I wait and see.

SJT 81/100
WCPT 40/50
GRT 39/55

lol youre exactly 1 mark better than me in each one of those tests. but i took it first time. ;p

excpecting an interview.
Nov 1, 2009
25 posts
Vancouver
So, this is a little non-PSR related, but I think some people who read this thread will be able to provide some assistance.

I applied (in Sept) for a position within the Canada School of Public Service; the results available date was Dec. 13. Yesterday (the 13th), my status was that I had been referred to a hiring agency and that they would contact me if they were interested (or something along those lines). This morning (the 14th), when I went to check the status, the message was gone and it now reads that my results available date is Dec. 15 (tomorrow).

Is this (the removal of the message and change of results available date) good, bad, or ambivalent news?

Thank you!
Jan 30, 2008
881 posts
425 upvotes
Has anyone who applied to the Payment/Benefits Officer positions with HRSDC or Policy/Program Analyst positions with Dept of Public Safety received any offers of interviews or further testing? I know the results are June 1 and April 1...just want to see if there's been any movement. :)
Jul 1, 2009
114 posts
1 upvote
Canada
Zug_Zwang wrote: Now I just sit and wait patiently until next year when DFAIT hopefully launches a recruitment campaign.
Hey man, this should be taken with a grain of salt since I don't think the left hand at DFAIT knows what the right hand is doing, but the person in HR that I spoke with told me that I might not get a formal offer for up to 3 years because last year was the largest recruitment drive ever. I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll be recruiting next year, or the year after.

Oh, and are you bilingual? They made a few offers this year to bilingual people - but for those of us who speak the wrong two languages there were no offers and, I was told a couple weeks ago, there may not be any next year either. No money for language training apparently. Not that this makes any sense, since it's far cheaper to train an anglo Canadian who speaks a difficult language (i.e. Chinese, Japanese, Farsi, etc.) in French than it is to train a bilingual Canadian in those languages, but nothing in DFAIT makes sense.

And the department wonders why it lacks regional representation (i.e. It's overwhelmingly Quebecois), sheesh...
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1887 posts
225 upvotes
GTA
ToraTora wrote: No money for language training apparently.
This is pretty sad, especially coming form DFAIT. Meanwhile, Other federal departments seem to have no problem offering full-time and part-time language training for their employees..
Nov 15, 2008
800 posts
227 upvotes
These are dark days for the public service and the foreign service in particular. A cabinet room full of philistines combined with one of the worst recessions of all time doesn't bode well for traditional reform/alliance targets of 'government waste.'

God willing, as did our cousins to the south, we'll soon emerge from this dark age of goverance and collectively demand 'what were we thinking?'
Oct 20, 2009
41 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
anon666 wrote: These are dark days for the public service and the foreign service in particular. A cabinet room full of philistines combined with one of the worst recessions of all time doesn't bode well for traditional reform/alliance targets of 'government waste.'

God willing, as did our cousins to the south, we'll soon emerge from this dark age of governance and collectively demand 'what were we thinking?'
Amen to that!
Oct 20, 2009
41 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Hey there,

Well it's pretty sad if DFAIT doesn't keep hiring every year, I guess some people forgot the important role foreign service officers play. Especially as Canada's international image is not great these days, but hey who am I to judge.

I was wondering if any of you guys know if there are other ways of getting into Foreign Service apart from PSR. Let's say working for another department and applying internally? I want this job so badly and am trying to figure out how to attain this goal.
Jul 1, 2009
8 posts
Calgary
ToraTora wrote: Hey man, this should be taken with a grain of salt since I don't think the left hand at DFAIT knows what the right hand is doing, but the person in HR that I spoke with told me that I might not get a formal offer for up to 3 years because last year was the largest recruitment drive ever. I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll be recruiting next year, or the year after.

Oh, and are you bilingual? They made a few offers this year to bilingual people - but for those of us who speak the wrong two languages there were no offers and, I was told a couple weeks ago, there may not be any next year either. No money for language training apparently. Not that this makes any sense, since it's far cheaper to train an anglo Canadian who speaks a difficult language (i.e. Chinese, Japanese, Farsi, etc.) in French than it is to train a bilingual Canadian in those languages, but nothing in DFAIT makes sense.

And the department wonders why it lacks regional representation (i.e. It's overwhelmingly Quebecois), sheesh...
ToraTora,

I completely agree with your comments about the language training, in comparison with the languages that they are looking for French is easy to pick up.
And 3 years? Surely they cannot be serious? After three years the step down to an entry level salary will be too much of a hit for anyone who has the skills to be an FSO. I would think that they would lose most candidates to better offers in the private sector...or maybe this is the plan?

I think your best plan would be to wait and see what happens when the next budget is announced in the house.

Mehkong
Apr 22, 2008
391 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
ToraTora wrote:

C/C/C...and a few points shy of X status. But thanks for the update, even though it kind of crushed my dreams. :lol:

And frankly, I think your analysis of DFAIT decision making policy should be expanded onto the whole Public Service. Cost/Benefit analysis is a dirty term...

Let's collectively hope there's an uptick in retirements.
Nov 1, 2009
25 posts
Vancouver
mah19 wrote: So, this is a little non-PSR related, but I think some people who read this thread will be able to provide some assistance.

I applied (in Sept) for a position within the Canada School of Public Service; the results available date was Dec. 13. Yesterday (the 13th), my status was that I had been referred to a hiring agency and that they would contact me if they were interested (or something along those lines). This morning (the 14th), when I went to check the status, the message was gone and it now reads that my results available date is Dec. 15 (tomorrow).

Is this (the removal of the message and change of results available date) good, bad, or ambivalent news?

Thank you!
Now it's back to the same, "the hiring organization will get in touch with you if they're interested" message; does this mean I've made it past one round of screenings?
Apr 22, 2008
391 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
[QUOTE]Now it's back to the same, "the hiring organization will get in touch with you if they're interested" message; does this mean I've made it past one round of screenings?[/QUOTE]

Yes & no. Although your application was referred to the actual HR people at said organization, don't be surprised if your CV and status sit like that for months on end without you ever getting a call. All it means is they keep on file, and sadly, nothing usually happens. Though you never know.