Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 9:46 am
Tags:
None
Jan 4, 2017
8 posts
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 6:24 pm
That is a very late invite XD. Nope haven't received any results on how I did on the test and I don't think anyone will. They said there have been delays and that interviews are coming out in the end of Feb so check your email and make sure it is correct.
Thanks Darkhorse59! , I thought I had passed of the first exam, so I was actually really surprised when they didn't call me for second exam. I guess they forgot about me... but I'm happy they called me for the exam now. Better late than never! Let me know if you get any news. Good luck!
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
Got an interview with ESDC. Fail the 2nd portion of the test yet still get an interview Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Jan 5, 2017
4 posts
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 11:31 pm
Got an interview with ESDC. Fail the 2nd portion of the test yet still get an interview Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Congratulations!
BTW when did you get the invite? Is it sent by email? And were your test scores also included in your invite or is there a way to check your scores?
(I am desperately holding onto the last thread of hope..)
Nov 13, 2013
23 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Congrats! As someone still holding out very faint hope, do you mind if I ask if the interview is being held where you're located?
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
lllmmmnnn wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 1:15 am
Congratulations!
BTW when did you get the invite? Is it sent by email? And were your test scores also included in your invite or is there a way to check your scores?
(I am desperately holding onto the last thread of hope..)
Yesterday by email. There is no mention of test scores at all and I have no idea how to check it (if there even is a way). They might be still doing invites as quoted interviews will be late feb and early march so don't lose hope!
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
Lazslo85 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 3:59 am
Congrats! As someone still holding out very faint hope, do you mind if I ask if the interview is being held where you're located?
It's by phone but I think it is in person if you are in Ottawa.

EDIT: It's a teleconference interview. I have no idea how that works as they didn't give me a location. Anyone have any ideas am I supposed to go to a government building and they set up the webcam/tv? I've done this a few times but there is no mention of location at all.
Feb 21, 2017
2 posts
I took 3 tests on December 15 in Sydney, NS for a psc pool. I understood I would receive my grades by email in 6 weeks. Nothing. Anyone else hear anything? Also can anyone tell me what the next step(s) would be after the marking is done.
May 19, 2016
34 posts
18 upvotes
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:00 pm

EDIT: It's a teleconference interview. I have no idea how that works as they didn't give me a location. Anyone have any ideas am I supposed to go to a government building and they set up the webcam/tv? I've done this a few times but there is no mention of location at all.
Teleconference = telephone conference. They should just call you at the phone number you gave them.
Oct 4, 2015
20 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
User349586 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:08 pm
I took 3 tests on December 15 in Sydney, NS for a psc pool. I understood I would receive my grades by email in 6 weeks. Nothing. Anyone else hear anything? Also can anyone tell me what the next step(s) would be after the marking is done.
If you are referring to the Public Service Entrance Exam (PSEE) your results should be posted on your Public Service Jobs account under the "Status of Job Applications" section once you log in. There is a possibility that your test has not been graded yet, so if your scores are not in the above section, then you should email the PSC and ask them if you should expect your results soon or not.
Dec 6, 2014
330 posts
86 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:00 pm

Sometimes they call you at home, sometimes they want you to go in. If they haven't said anything about going in then it's probably going to be at home. You should get an email that explains it in detail and that will ask for confirmation and so on.
Dec 2, 2010
410 posts
101 upvotes
Moddya wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 5:40 pm
For GAC FS 2015, I was told that they are looking for women and/or those who got 72+ in the IAA. Seems they have lowered the criteria?
I guess it's simply a matter of trying to get more women into GAC (or at least the FS stream) so they're giving that aspect priority over IAA scores. For the males in the pool with high IAA scores, I guess they'll just have to wait longer.

Seeking gender balance makes some sense, so that doesn't bother me, but what does annoy me is that they are exclusively hiring for temporary positions (or so it seems). I contacted a couple people in GAC in an effort to find out a bit more about these temporary jobs and the likelihood of getting on as permanent later, but I wasn't able to learn much. The standard line is that they are "unable to predict their future needs."

Is it just me or is that a pretty weak excuse? Do they truly have no idea what their future needs are so 100% of new hires need to be temporary? Even if they were planning a major restructuring, they should still have some idea. Imagine if all departments threw up their hands when it came to HR planning.

Though, that said, I don't suppose anyone's going to tell me in writing that they prefer temporary positions for new hires because people work harder and don't rock the boat when their job security is tenuous. Or that it's easier to let people's terms run out than to fire them when they're not quite measuring up. One of these is probably closer to the real reason.

End of rant. :twisted:
Jan 4, 2017
8 posts
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Congratulations! Let us know how it goes :)
Jun 12, 2016
9 posts
Got a phone interview with Innovation, Science, and Economic Development from the 2016 PSR in the next 2 weeks. Really excited I've made it this far, but if this thread has taught me anything, it's to manage expectations, haha.
Jan 31, 2017
2 posts
Anyone hear about an interview for any of the 2016 PSR postings? Wondering they are at that stage
May 19, 2016
34 posts
18 upvotes
drfeelgood wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 4:42 am
Got a phone interview with Innovation, Science, and Economic Development from the 2016 PSR in the next 2 weeks. Really excited I've made it this far, but if this thread has taught me anything, it's to manage expectations, haha.
Congrats! Were you part of the group that got invited to do a written exam a few weeks ago?