Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2017 7:06 am
Tags:
None
Oct 20, 2016
7 posts
Would you guys accept a referral for a job that requires bilingualism? Even if in your resume and application you put that you only prefer English? I mean I speak another language but it's definitely not fluent french. What do you guys think? I feel like if I reject it, it'll hinder my future prospects in receiving referrals. But I feel like if I accept it and get rejected for non-bilingualism it will lead to my profile showing as referred then I stop future referrals as well. Stumped. If you guys could give me some advice that would be awesome. Please and thank you,
Jun 12, 2016
8 posts
PSECPA wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 9:35 am
Congrats! Were you part of the group that got invited to do a written exam a few weeks ago?
Yes - and thanks!

Evidently, the interview questions come 30 minutes before the interview, so at least there's some prep time.
Jul 2, 2014
277 posts
64 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
JadeeN wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 12:21 am
Would you guys accept a referral for a job that requires bilingualism? Even if in your resume and application you put that you only prefer English? I mean I speak another language but it's definitely not fluent french. What do you guys think? I feel like if I reject it, it'll hinder my future prospects in receiving referrals. But I feel like if I accept it and get rejected for non-bilingualism it will lead to my profile showing as referred then I stop future referrals as well. Stumped. If you guys could give me some advice that would be awesome. Please and thank you,
Referrals should be independent one from another. I do not believe there is any sort of a blacklist or a person sitting and memorising names of those who declined an offer.

Accept it and explain the situation when they contact you for the next round. If the requirement is imperative they will tell you that and simply won't consider your candidacy for that process.

Federal government recruitment processes are different from most others, so, unless you are extremely busy, the more practice you get with them the better.
Oct 20, 2016
7 posts
AndreyDe wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 8:05 am
Referrals should be independent one from another. I do not believe there is any sort of a blacklist or a person sitting and memorising names of those who declined an offer.

Accept it and explain the situation when they contact you for the next round. If the requirement is imperative they will tell you that and simply won't consider your candidacy for that process.

Federal government recruitment processes are different from most others, so, unless you are extremely busy, the more practice you get with them the better.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it a lot. I'll accept the invitation and see where it takes me!
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
Got a test with Innovation Science and Development Canada for PSR 2016. I think there are 2 streams going on which makes it very confusing as people were getting other testing/interviews while I was writing the PSEE. To clarify this is 2016 Ec-02 applied in october.

It's a writing test so anyone have any advice?
Nov 13, 2013
23 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 1:52 pm
Got a test with Innovation Science and Development Canada for PSR 2016. I think there are 2 streams going on which makes it very confusing as people were getting other testing/interviews while I was writing the PSEE. To clarify this is 2016 Ec-02 applied in october.

Congrats! Would you mind if I asked what your background is?

I got 91st percentile (91st & 92nd), have a master's degree in Political Sci from a good overseas university, Canadian government experience and have been working overseas in university business and policy roles for 5 years, plus speak near fluent French and passable Chinese - yet I seem to be missing out on all of these interviews and next stages. Trying to figure out what kinks I need to work out in my application for next year.

Thanks!
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
Lazslo85 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 2:07 pm

I got 91st percentile (91st & 92nd), have a master's degree in Political Sci from a good overseas university, Canadian government experience and have been working overseas in university business and policy roles for 5 years, plus speak near fluent French and passable Chinese - yet I seem to be missing out on all of these interviews and next stages. Trying to figure out what kinks I need to work out in my application for next year.

Thanks!
I think you literally outclass me in every area. I think the problems may be it is from an overseas university or quite possibly you aren't applying in the same stream as me (EC-02) as you sound very overqualified for the position. Another possibility is they are doing multiple waves and you might not have been selected yet.

As for my background I only have an undergraduate in Econ with mediocre grades but from a top canadian university. No experience, uni lingual, research paper (not a publication was for a course) and 91st global (89 and 96).
Nov 13, 2013
23 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 2:22 pm
I think you literally outclass me in every area. I think the problems may be it is from an overseas university or quite possibly you aren't applying in the same stream as me (EC-02) as you sound very overqualified for the position. Another possibility is they are doing multiple waves and you might not have been selected yet.

As for my background I only have an undergraduate in Econ with mediocre grades but from a top canadian university. No experience, uni lingual, research paper (not a publication was for a course) and 91st global (89 and 96).
Thanks for the quick response! My undergraduate degree is from Canada, but I'm sure the econ degree helps you a fair bit - it's a bit more substance and less fluffy than poli sci (no offense to fellow political science graduates, but I have some regrets about my degree choice).

Anyway I wish you the best of luck with your tests and interviews! Come back with some intel for the forum :)
Oct 21, 2011
240 posts
45 upvotes
NEPEAN
Lazslo85 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks!
Many processes use random selection. You would stand a much better chance avoiding the PSR. Other staffing processes don't generally randomly select candidates.
Dec 6, 2014
330 posts
86 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 1:52 pm

Pay attention to detail and make sure you do your research (especially if they ask you to). Follow all instructions, including anything in preamble/postscript/email/etc. Expect something intelligent from them. Edit: I should add that my experience is with a different area, not EC. I found them pleasant, professional, and consistent and the test was easy for someone who paid attention in class and probably impossible otherwise lol.
Mar 1, 2017
4 posts
Did anyone get a response from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada? They emailed me in January for copies of my degrees, transcript and references but I haven't heard again from them.
Does the silence mean I was taken out of the selection process? Or is there something that I'm missing?
Jul 2, 2014
277 posts
64 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
MaryAnn212 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 4:34 am
Did anyone get a response from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada? They emailed me in January for copies of my degrees, transcript and references but I haven't heard again from them.
Does the silence mean I was taken out of the selection process? Or is there something that I'm missing?
It can be any of the scenarios you described. Send them an email or call if you can to ask. Use the email they provided.
Mar 1, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone who has taken the EC-02/EC04 Test for StatsCan heard anything back? The test deadline was January 24th. How long does it usually take for a response?
Dec 6, 2014
330 posts
86 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MaryAnn212 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 4:34 am
It can take a while for them to make their final decisions. Normally if you have gotten to the references stage, you will be contacted either by phone or email to let you know the outcome either way. I can't say with absolute certainty, of course, but that has been my experience.
Lonelyinthecity wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 9:43 am
Has anyone who has taken the EC-02/EC04 Test for StatsCan heard anything back? The test deadline was January 24th. How long does it usually take for a response?
In my experience, if you passed, you'll find out maybe 2-3 weeks after the test (maybe a month at the most?). Not sure how long they take if you did not pass. It wouldn't surprise me if statscan takes longer. They took longer with everything when I applied one year, like to the point where when they finally contacted me, I had moved on.